My future is PM66, but Ridgid for now?

Hi,

I'm a starting woodworker. I've done a lot of research and I think that there is a PM66 in my future. But right now I want to buy an intermediate saw. Home Depot has Ridgid ZRTS3650 (new, not refurbished) on sale for $399. That seems to be 1/8 the price of my future saw so it seems that when I buy the real saw, this relatively speaking won't seem like a waste of money.

So what do you think about this saw? When I search for it on the web, I only get links to refurbished sales. Does that tell me that these saws break a lot? If not this saw, which intermediate saw (

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I have the Ridgid 3650 and have used it for maybe 3-4 years now. It does everything I need. I use a Forrest WWII blade and a shop built crosscut sled. I have a small shop so the built in mobile base is great. My only complaint would be dust collection but no open base type saw is going to do that well. If I had the shop space and the budget I'd probably upgrade to a 3 HP cabinet saw but for the forseeable future I'll do just fine with the 3650.

Reply to
dalemartindesigns

They are clearing them out for the new model with riving knife.

It says the only place to buy them new is HD, and they dump off the refurbs to whoever will take em.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Harbor Freight has a $5.00 sawdust collection bag that fits under an open-base saw. I've got one and it catches A LOT (but, of course, not all) the sawdust. And it IS really easy to install.

HeyBub

If you want to have some real fun, try Ridgid's new granite topped hybrid saw. It's a couple hundred bucks more, but is interesting and well made. It's also heavy as hell. Assembled weight is about 450 pounds. Each extension wing weighs about 55 pounds, versus 40 pounds or less for cast iron topped saws.

Steel City also has a granite topped hybrid, and Craftsman is rumored to have one coming out in late Spring, but both of those are going to cost more than the Ridgid.

Reply to
Charlie Self

...I say get it now 'cause that's a good saw! I've used one in a site application where it was abused to the max and it still performed well...the fence is outstanding. In fact, I was so impressed with that performance that I bought the TS2400 for my personal use, mainly for finish work on site and I'm not complaining, nice portable machine. My ultimate reference is my PM66 in the shop at home...you absolutely won't go wrong there...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

I have a TS3650, and absolutely love it. It's solid; accurate, and a joy to use. Have had no problems with it whatsoever in the ~4 years I've had it.

Have used a couple of top of the line cabinet saws in the past and sure it's not *quite* the same; but for my money the 3650 is a no- brainer - go for it!

Reply to
Steve Reaser