My first mailorder big machine

My first mailorder big machine is showing up tomorrow at 3pm from abf freight and amazon. It's a 300lb sander. I know the truck has a lift gate. And the lady at the trucking company said that they would wheel it into the garage for me. I expect things to be uneventful. Can anyone suggest anything to watch out for? Should I tip this guy?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Before he unloads it, I would climb up into the truck and make sure there's nothing obviously radically wrong with the machine before I accepted delivery. That way if something is wrong, you should realize it right away, you wouldn't have to fuss as much about returning it, and the guy wouldn't have to load it back into the truck.

I bought a big Powermatic jointer through Tool Crib/Amazon, and before they even started messing with the lift gate, I got them to let me climb up and check the tables with a straightedge. Everything looked perfect, so I accepted delivery.

If you don't at least look things over first, you're kind of buying a pig in a poke.

Reply to
– Colonel –

I always tip delivery guys like this Brian. Let your conscience be your guide. What else to watch out for... make sure you know where you want it. It's hard to get the guy with the big pallet jack to turn around and come back after he's 3 miles down the road.

Do take all the packing off and really thoroughly inspect it for damage before the trucker leaves. If you have to submit a claim, it's so much easier to do if you can document damages on the bill of lading. If you find damage, call Amazon while the trucker is there so you can be sure to get all of the details right. Check the shock watch if one is installed on the box.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Someone else already suggested an in-truck inspection, great idea.

Hopefully, the "lady" and the actual driver are on the same page as far as inside delivery is concerned. Many trucking companies, including ABF in my area, will simply slide the item to the back of the rig and stop. With a lift gate, they're often nice enough to at least get it on the ground.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

As I am an ABF driver who delivers these all the time, there is one thing your should look for. Make sure there is no oil anywhere on the box. If it is a spindle sander, they are top heavy and some times they will tip over. I have had two or three of these have to come back because of miss handling on the dock. It's the only one of wich I have seen this problem. Amazon will usually pay for ground delivery. This only gets it to the ground in the street, if he can't back into your driveway.

By the way tips are always welcome but not necessarry.

Reply to
Vidkid26

I would totally agree with what's been said about checking before accepting delivery. Freight companies are the bane of our lives (I work for a scientific supply company). Also at least partially unpack before signing for delivery. We had one delivery where the outside cardboard box had a slight scrape mark along it, nothing anyone would be suspocious about. When the box was lifted off, the incubator inside had significant panel damage, someone had run a forklift right along the side. We've also had forklifts go through the sides iof icemakers, and had another icemaker dropped off a truck. All in all not a good look, and doesn't bode well for the years of trouble free use we would expect.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

I can assure you from experience, $20.00 will buy you time to check it out on & off the truck & also if it is within the driver's & his equipments ability, he will put it anywhere you want . . .

Steve

Reply to
Steve DeMars

Damn straight. I always do. Mind you, my delivery guys have to negotiate a residential area and most of the time 12-foot skids with 160 to 200 pound 30 x 144 sheets of solid surface materials. Last delivery, 7 (seven) sheets on a skid. The driver remembered his delivery on a prior date and helped me hand-bomb the sheets off the truck. He then took the empty skid back with him. That's what I got for 50 bucks. 6K worth of material, a 200 dollar shipping bill...that 50 seems like the best deal ever. Another trucking company, last year, the driver goes: "Dude, where's the fork-lift?" and absolutely refused any co-operation. Lucky for me my Coast Guard buddy across the street was home and helped me take off ONE

160# sheet. (I have done them by myself, but my PT would shoot me if I did that now.)
Reply to
Robatoy

It's a disk/belt sander so shouldn't have the oil problem. They had to schedule the delivery for tomorrow instead of yesterday because they saw it was a residential delivery and had to wait for the liftgate truck to be available.

How much of a hurry will he be in? I'd like to unpack while he's still here.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Depends on how busy he is. Drivers do have to report in along the way and they don't get paid to watch you unpack. Bt a $20 bill may convince him to take his break right about when he delivers to your house.

If the outer carton shows damage, be sure to note that on the paperwork when you sign for it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's not a matter of being in a hurry. We try to make sure that everything is O.K., If there is no visable damage to the packaging we have a responability to have the freight bill signed for before you open it. If you find any visable damage, make sure that you inspect the carton and make a note on the freight bill. The driver wants to make sure that he is covered also. We have had more than one customer claim damage when the packaging shows none. If he is any kind of profesional,like I'm sure he will be, he will want to help you document any problems that may arise.Its been my experience with these bigger machines that they have very few problems wth damage. The biggest problem I have is that I can't stick around long enough to play with the new toy !!

Who knows it may be me who shows up at your door.......

Reply to
Vidkid26

Reply to
Connor Aston

Maybe it was. I didn't get his name, but he seemed like a good guy. I'd say he was maybe 5'10", normal build, and maybe about 50yo. There was a bit of damage to the box at the corner, but you could see from the outside of the box that the styrofoam was probably ok. He stayed around long enough for me to open the box and take most of the parts out and see that the styro was ok on the inside. He said he wanted a shop, but his wife wanted to park in the garage. lol

Anyway, things went well. I got most of it put together. But I couldn't find my mineral spirits can. So I'll be be finishing it tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who helped.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I'm glad everything went well for you and your delivery. The Tool Crib is one of our big customers, so we move a lot of product for them.

Just curious. Did you tip him?

Reply to
Vidkid26

You couldn't find your mineral spirits can???? Hell, it's that big gallon can right next to the big gallon can of lacquer thinner. Oh well - just fill up another from the 5 gallon bucket on the floor.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I did not see the original post, but I always tip the common carrier driver. Most try to refuse, but I just tell them to "have lunch on me." :-)

____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

yeah, $20.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

We're still fighting about basement vs. garage and now you add Ireland to the mix?

Ok... basement vs. garage vs. Ireland. I'm still sticking with the basement.

C> MOVE TO IRELAND. Its a smaller country.

Reply to
Mike Berger

Mike Berger wrote in news:drtb87$4ps$6 @roundup.shout.net:

Me too. I have a hard enough time just getting downstairs. The commute time to Ireland would just be too much.

Reply to
John Thomas