My First Lee Valley Purchase

Just got my new jointer blade sharpening hone.

got done trying it out. Easy to use and setup. Awesome.

No more waiting 3-4 weeks to get my blades back from the sharpener.

Usual disclaimer: Not affiliated just a very satisfied customer.

Stoutman

Reply to
stoutman

Nice stuff on your web site. Like the birds eye maple in the one unit...

Careful though with Lee Valley. They will get their clutches into you=20 and eat all your spare cash. This is the end of "spare cash" as you have =

known it. lol

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

agreed. The only possible solution is to convince friends and family members to spend THEIR money at Lee Valley (Christmas, Father's day, birthday gifts for you) so that YOU don't have to. There are no other options. I've managed to get about 1/2 my LV fix that way.

Dave

Reply to
David

and eat all your spare cash. This is the end of "spare cash" as you have known it. lol

I had some spare cash in my pocket when I left work today. It mysteriously turned into Lee Valley shelf brackets on my way home.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Reply to
stoutman

When Robin was in Saskatoon and touring our plant, he let something slip about another venture they're considering (and no, I won't tell so don't ask)...

My response was "You bastard! How much *more* of my money do you want?"

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I heard that they were opening a Lee Valley wing at The Betty Ford Centre...right next to the wing where they keep the fools who bought Taunton's Fine Cooking magazine.... and looked at the ads...

Reply to
Robatoy

Tis a slippery slope ... the very epitome thereof, indeed.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" opined

Do you think that Robin Lee sells some kinda teflon lubricant for that slippery slope?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It's free with the first order.

Also in the teflon kit is "wallet lube", which is chemically cross-linked with the ink used in LV catalogs. This product helps the cash and credit cards slide out of the wallet faster upon arrival of each new catalog.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

They don't sell it, they give it away. It's call their catalog.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

I've been thinking about getting one of these jigs. I have no experience sharpening anything. How big a nick will this jig remove? Is it just basically for honing? Tom

Reply to
Tom Woodman

Not sure. I guess if you started with a low grit sandpaper or a fast cutting watertstone you could remove a nick with it.

I haven't had to remove any nicks yet.

Reply to
stoutman

depends on the grit of the paper you use. The link is for the guide...

Dave

Reply to
David

Tom,

Get yourself a good selection of papers (some wet 'n dry too) and you can quickly take out reasonable sized nicks and hone a set of 3 blades in about

30 mins - after you've done it once. First time around, your time will depend on your learning curve capability. But if you can get 4 pieces of float glass and put a different grade of paper on each one, the process will go quickly.

I can say that the jig has more than paid for itself in the number of times I would have sent the blades out for sharpening or replacing them. I have 3 sets that I rotate out and after milling some really rough (dirty) stock this past summer, I had to sharpen all 3 sets again. Took me about 30 mins per set. (that's 10 mins worth of work and 20 mins of admiring how sharp they are.....;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Is their anything special you do with this jig to maintain the balance on the 3 or 4 knives? Or does the honing not remove enough material to significantly alter the weight?

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Doubt you could ever take enough material off jointer blades to affect the balance. Not a high-speed device, plus the mass of the head itself and it's secured pretty good.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Lee Valley: worse than crack

Careful though with Lee Valley. They will get their clutches into you and eat all your spare cash. This is the end of "spare cash" as you have known it. lol

Reply to
bob

dunno... at least after you come off of a LV high you have some cool tools.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You can spend $50 on food this week... another $8 on Tim H's.... we'd like the rest....:)

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee