My first gloat - but how much of a gloat?

Hi all,

Having read with interest everyones' gloats on here, I finally have one of my own!

My friend's mum asked if I wanted a drill the other day. One of the offices where she worked closed "a while ago" and it hadn't been used since, but sitting in her caretaker's office.

I went to pick it up and found it was a drill press, made by Naerok. She clarified that she got it about "3 or 4 years ago" and it hadn't been touched since. It looks very similar to:

've never owned a bench drill before but it seems OK to my very amateur skills. But can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it good? How old is it? Does it qualify as a gloat (as I got it free)? Any routine maintenance I should do?

More details:

Naerok HDY 13D

1/2" 0.37kW 450-3000 Spindle: MT2J 2-1/2

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

Check the runout. If that is good than I would say that there is some major sucking going on over there :)

Reply to
Rob Ritch

Just to prove my newbieness, what?!!! :-) Is this something I can check easily or do I have to find a specification for the machine...

I'll see...

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

Andy,

Just remember, every non-newbie was once a newbie.

Anyway, for lack of a better explanation, runout is the amount of 'wobble' you get when you run a bit in the chuck. A quick and dirty check would be to spin the chuck by hand (with a bit in it) while holding a square to the table. A better way to check it would be to use a multigauge which would measure the runout in thousandths of an inch.

At any rate, congrats on the score and...

You suck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe C.

Free is good. Looks like it is one of those import jobs sold under a hundred names. These do OK for average stuff.

As far as maintenance goes, make sure you clean up any rust on the post, Give the motor a couple of drops of oil and check the action on the quill.

It should work fine but if the quill is stiff you might have to disassemble, clean out any dried out grease and re-lube.

Check the fan belt(s), then make some holes.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Tue, Jan 11, 2005, 9:36am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@me.here (Andy=A0Jeffries) nees to know: Hi all, Having read with interest everyones' gloats on here, I finally have one of my own!

Ya done good. It would have been "great" if you'd been paid to take it away. LOL

My rule, if it's free take it. If it doesn't work, maybe you can use it for parts. If you can't use it, sell it, or swap it. Maybe find someone to give it to, and be owed a favor. If nothing else, use it as a door stop, boat anchor, or weigh down glue ups. Or, paint it a bunch of colors, and sell it as "art". LOL

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

Runout is more commonly known as wobble. Chuck a straight drill (1/4" or so) in it and turn it on. If the runout is really bad you'll see it. Or, move the table up so that most of the bit is in the center hole and you can lay something on the table (like a combination square) with an edge just touching the smooth part of the drill bit. Turn the head by hand and see how much the bit varies from just touching. More accurate, set up the edge so that it is

0.010 from bit (use a feeler gauge) turn it a few degrees, measure, and repeat every 30 degrees until you are back to the starting point. How much is ok? Others will tell you. My cheapo HD unit has less than .002 runout, even when measured 2 inches below the chuck.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Anything free with a power cord or handle is a gloat. You had both a handle and cord.

Reply to
rllipham

Technically, runout is a specific type of wobble.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Wonder if it's a coincidence that Naerok spelled backwards is Korean - in any case

you suck!

Reply to
Vic Baron

Reply to
Silvan

snip

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

backwards is Korean -

That reminds of the Lufwa jig saw I used to have. I Always thought it might be German or something - now I wonder...

Reply to
Alan Edwards