My first bone head move - router table accident

Page 1 of 2

Ok - gotta admit my brain was on vacation this morning or something - still not sure.
Anyways here is the senerio. I have a Xmas Bizarre on Sat and Im trying to get w/ the stuff Im selling. Got done w/ a majority of it last night and woke up this morning w/ a great idea on 1 last thing add. They are cigar holders that clamp on your golf cart. Not to go into details on how to build it but It requires a 3/4" cove to be cut in 1 peice.
To mass produce these you make profile of the peice in a long board and then cut the board into 1" peices. So I need to make this cove in a peice that is 12" long. I only have a 1/2 cove bit - so I figure 3 cuts - 1 in the middle then 1 on each side a little shallower then sand to complete the cove.
Chuck up the cove bit - run the first cut - no problem. Move the fence, lower the bit and cut the groove on the left side of the middle (but is to the left of the center) again - goes thru no problem.
Now this is where my brain decided to leave my body. I know that when I make this last cut the tail end of the bit will be cutting so I need to feed the opposite direction or this baby will go flying. But for what ever reason I move the fence - turn on the router and start feeding - 1/4 way thru the cut - zing - it flys out of my grasp and shoots accross the shop. Now this is where I still have no idea where my brain is I really dont know why - but I walk over to it - pick it up and go back to the table - I proceed to do it again - start feeding and zing - again it flys out - this time shooting my left index finger into the spinning bit.
Yes - Number 1 idiot here - first off not using push sticks - second - as if someone warned me - hey moron - your doing it wrong - I did it a second time and payed for it.
Well after the immediate shock of clenching my finger - and seeing the blood coming thru my fingers I thought "oh sh*t". I grabbed a clean towel and wrapped my finger tried to clean it abit and inspect the damage. The right side of my left index finger got a few big chunks out of it from the top knuckle to the tip around to the nail. Looks damn ugly. Headed to the ER to have them take a look at it. 3 hours later Im heading out of there w/ a big bandaid on my finger. No stiches b/c there was pretty much chunks missing - not a slice. Got some xrays and saw it missed the bone by about a 1/16 of an inch. All in all I was lucky - It could have been a lot worse. Got back home to inpect the carnage saw a few nice chucks of finger on my router table - nice... Looked things over and saw exactly what I did - still not sure why I did what I did. Guess I just got complancent. Stupid,Stupid,Stupid Anyways got back on the horse later and finished the peice the correct way and injury free. It was a bit nerve racking to say the least when that thing started up again but hey - just learned more respect for the machines.
Anyways - be careful out there. Lesson learned.....
Thanks, Rob
You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m (remove the _ to get the address)

You were lucky.
Take good care of the wound and heal up nicely.
And NEVER disrespect a machine that goes several THOUSAND revolutions per minute.

if
time
Hey Rob, you sound like you'd make a good drinking buddy. Once you were loaded if we talked you into trying something stupid and it didn't work, we might be able to talk you into trying it a second time. :)
Glad you've still got all your fingers. In the great scheme of things, a lost piece of finger flesh might well be the catalyst to saving you more than that in the future.
"Rob V" snip

snip
snip
A very good lesson well learned and all it cost you was and ugly finger that will heal. The tip of one of my fingers had a difficult time stopping a table saw blade! The lesson learned, don't try to flick a short piece away from the spinning blade!
Dave
jesus, thats rough. router and mitre saw both terrify me.
if that had happened to me i would taken a pic of the router bit with chunks of my finger on it and laminated it to the table or something as a reminder for each time it gets used!
canadian snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Or posted it in Alt.Pictures.Binaries.Woodworking...

Wow, I got that sick feeling while reading your post. I hope that you are truly OK.
Frank
Frank Drackman said:

As did I. And I'm still a little queasy... I hate cutting through-slots on the router table, because they can easily decide to take off on you if you don't keep the part firmly against the fence or get your bearings (front/rear cut vs rotation) messed up. I've considered drawing little directional arrows on everything as a memory jogger. But then the wimp lazes out.
The fact that you actually went back to face the beast, still bandaged, demonstrates great valor... or something... <g>
Hope everything heals well, and that the remainder of the year is incident free. Remember, you can't type without fingers...
Greg G.
You say that is your first bonehead move. You still must be an infant.
Stay well and safe
I posted some pics for those that requested them.
Also - odd thing is talking w/ the ER doc - he said today was the day that power tools fought back.
3 others in there for power tool accidents. 1 - bandsaw blade vs hand. 2 - circular saw vs fingers (cut 2 off - in the OR at that time getting them back on) 3 - chainsaw vs Leg (big storm last night blew down a tree - he figured he'd save a few bux)
Anyways - enjoy the pics.

Glad you are here to tell us about it. Live and learn. And I hope you are having a Xmas Bazaar, otherwise, please invite me.
Steve

:) yea - always seem to spell that one wrong - then again Ive attended a few of these (first time as a vendor tho) I have met a few ppl that are worthy of Bizarre!

--snip--
Congrats on learning a lesson the easiest of the hard ways. Your little scars will often remind you of that, too.

<rant>
WTF for? Clean it up and, if you think it's bad enough for stitches, go see _your_ doctor, not the freakin' ER! That was bonehead maneuver #2 AFAIC. The ER doctor should have said something to that order, too. Now the insurance company is stuck with a $1,500 bill for a bandaid. (One of my hotter buttons. SO, everyone, call your doctor and ask what they can and can't handle in the way of emergency surgery. Chances are high that they'll be able to handle you for about $1,000 less than the ER would. Limit the ER visits to appendage amputations and severed muscles/tendons, eh? Y'know, things your doctor would faint over.) </rant>

Ayup. Anyway, for next time, try one of these (or build one): (Crap, can't find a make/model number on my yellow-blocked, dual handled parts holder with angle gauge.) Anyway, it holds blocks of wood from the top so you can route or saw them on the TS with your hands safely on top.

It's good that you went right back to work with it. An unhealthy fear can come up if you wait too long, and you can be overly cautious to the point of danger once again because of fears like that. Ya done good gettin' back on the horse, boy.

Ah, you betcha!

Bueno, bwana.
-- "Menja b, caga fort!"

Good rant. A friend just did something similar to his finger with a utility knife, and asked an ER nurse neighbor who told him pretty much the same thing. She cleaned it up and bandaged it for him. Absent such a neighbor that does pro bono work, a doc-in-the-box is a good solution, at least around here. Better hours and easier to get to see than your own doc.

Don't know about your doctor, but I need to make an appointment a few weeks ahead before I can get in to see mine. Anything else that needs to be done right away, I'd get the standard line to go to the hospital.
Of course, I'm talking about the Canadian medical system. Guess it's a little different down in the good old USA.
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:11:52 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

Here, too, but if you have an emergency, walk-ins are accepted.

How long is -that- line?

If called, they send an ambulance (only $1,200USD) and put you right in the ER. Walk-ins are sent through the triage system (if the ER is busy) and minor problems might wait an hour or 3 before getting seen. Bleeding stumps, particularly those nurturing baggies with fingers on ice, are usually taken in right away.
-- "Menja b, caga fort!"
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:25:31 -0800, Larry Jaques

Here in the UK you'd not only be welcome in hospital A&E with an injury like that, but it would likely also be a queue-jumping grade of injury as they treat it as a potential open fracture (happened to a friend of mine who stuck a sewing machine through his finger). If I took such a finger into my GP I strongly suspect I'd be packed off to hospital for an X-ray at least.
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:56:57 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy

"Why in HELL does anyone need an X-ray taken on a -flesh- cut?" I gasped.
-- "Menja b, caga fort!"

I was wondering that myself, but I'm the kind of guy who won't go to a hospital unless a major artery is severed. To many gaping flesh wounds as a child, I guess, combined with no money made us quite frugal about throwing large sums to the winds. And the way hospitals are these days, you're just as likely to come out missing a totally non-involved body part.

Are you from Spain? It IS the Christmas season - and those little crapping statues sure are cute - the kids love 'em. <g>
FWIW,
Greg G.
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:05:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg

Right you are, Greg. Too many people die in those places, and far too many of those deaths are from things OTHER than what they went to the hospital for, too. (Want flesh-eating staph? YOu know where to go!)

Yeah, I survived a helluva lot worse stuff as a kid, wrapped a paper towel and a rubber band around it, and it healed in 2 weeks. No big.

No, I'm a unique and original Heinz 57, thanks. I simply saw that phrase on the wreck.metalheads group, thought it was funny, and added it to my sig file.
-- "Menja b, caga fort!"