My clever trick

Is that the little 90° metal piece right at the end of my tape measure that keeps falling off if I'm measuring over 18"?

Reply to
Upscale

I remember when I was younger and first starting to help my Dad. He was a firm believer on "cutting an inch". Boy he would get mad when boards were an inch short.

Reply to
JC

BOY... does that bring back some memories. My Dad and I built a storage room when I was about 11 or so. When a board was cut the wrong length, the first thing he would do would be to stare me down and say, "where in the hell were you holding the tape?" I knew it wasn't me as he would let it go pretty quick.

When we were finished, there were a few discrepancies in the project, but not too many. Strangely, I was credited with every short board, every missed cut, and every hammer mark on the wood.

But, he assured my mother, he was proud of me because I tried, and that is all part of the learning process.

He told that to one of his friends when they came over to admire "the project", and they said "shame on you... how old is he again.... eleven?"

That storage room is long gone now, no doubt a victim of my faulty design at the time of construction.

We laughed like hell about that just the other day.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

A quick tip: put a drop of adhesive (thick CA, white glue, anything) on the rivets that will dry as a little button. It will keep the rivets from hanging on to things they shouldn't. Another way is to put a small piece of aluminum tape cut in a 1/4" strip across the rivets. No more hanging.

Reply to
nailshooter41

My cat does that "I meant to do that" look really well..wanna rent him next project?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I always fix those little wiggly ends on the tape. I peen them solid on my anvil, then add a drop of Karazee Gloop so it will NEVER wiggle again. You'd figgur they'd have that down pat by now.

Reply to
Robatoy

When you do this, do it to TWO tape measures - one at full extention for outside measurement, and one fully collapsed for inside measurements - and MARK THEM CLEARLY

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

No, it was appreciated by those not humor-challenged.

Reply to
alexy

I didn't think I was naive anymore, or maybe it's just because I've never done trade work, but I would have never imagined customers stealing your plans so they could build it themselves.

Reply to
asmurff

Or they take the plans to a competitor and he gives a break because he does not have to design the project.

Reply to
Leon

I do the opposite. I quote extra high when somebody comes into my shop with a drawing from one of my brothers in arms. Very often I will see a drawing *I* will have made when I quoted the kitchen dealer who I normally supply. I end up looking at my own drawing. So I quote high. Then they go away just to see me show up to take a template. Quite funny... most of the time.

Reply to
Robatoy

Not at all. I chuckled. Then cried. BTDT

Reply to
Patrick