My clever trick

Page 2 of 2
On Mar 25, 12:31 pm, "Lee Michaels"

A quick tip: put a drop of adhesive (thick CA, white glue, anything) on the rivets that will dry as a little button. It will keep the rivets from hanging on to things they shouldn't. Another way is to put a small piece of aluminum tape cut in a 1/4" strip across the rivets. No more hanging.

NO KIDDING.
Robert

Is that the little 90 metal piece right at the end of my tape measure that keeps falling off if I'm measuring over 18"?

You must have the upgraded version with patented Curse Inducement Technology. Truly fortunate are you.
-Leuf

I always fix those little wiggly ends on the tape. I peen them solid on my anvil, then add a drop of Karazee Gloop so it will NEVER wiggle again. You'd figgur they'd have that down pat by now.
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:57:51 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

When you do this, do it to TWO tape measures - one at full extention for outside measurement, and one fully collapsed for inside measurements - and MARK THEM CLEARLY

See, what's why those of us used to cheap saws with poor fences always measure blade -> fence. Perhaps we were on to something... ;-) (The new saw's doing great, btw. The fence tape isn't aligned to the blade yet, though.)
Puckdropper

I remember when I was younger and first starting to help my Dad. He was a firm believer on "cutting an inch". Boy he would get mad when boards were an inch short.

BOY... does that bring back some memories. My Dad and I built a storage room when I was about 11 or so. When a board was cut the wrong length, the first thing he would do would be to stare me down and say, "where in the hell were you holding the tape?" I knew it wasn't me as he would let it go pretty quick.
When we were finished, there were a few discrepancies in the project, but not too many. Strangely, I was credited with every short board, every missed cut, and every hammer mark on the wood.
But, he assured my mother, he was proud of me because I tried, and that is all part of the learning process.
He told that to one of his friends when they came over to admire "the project", and they said "shame on you... how old is he again.... eleven?"
That storage room is long gone now, no doubt a victim of my faulty design at the time of construction.
We laughed like hell about that just the other day.
Robert

(Smack to Forehead) Looks like the joke's on me! I guess you can imagine what my life is like, mired in the literal as I am. Good joke though . . . once I got it.
DonkeyHody "There's a difference between doing things right and doing the right things."

No, it was appreciated by those not humor-challenged.

Not at all. I chuckled. Then cried. BTDT
--
Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA

My cat does that "I meant to do that" look really well..wanna rent him next project?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing