My apologies!!

I want to apologize if I offended anyone or if I violated any user rules. I will remove my original posting.
Charlie
On 3/28/2010 3:32 PM, jack-bench.com wrote:

If you're selling something it is customary to precede the Subject with "FS", so those who aren't interested can skip over it, but there are no rules, except for NOT posting binaries, so you didn't break any.
> I will remove my original posting.
You won't be able to do that, and it is not necessary.
In any event, welcome ... any idea is welcome and this is certainly an idea worthy of consideration for many, and it was certainly on topic.
The fact that you have plans is a good thing to know.
Thanks ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 3/28/10 4:51 PM, Swingman wrote:

Swing, it was posted through googlegroups, he can get it removed from there, unfortunately the rest of usenet will not respect the cancellation. Another case of people thinking google is the better/only way.
But I agree, it is an interesting idea, and he may be a valuable contributor.
--
Froz...

Yowza! When did my GG filter get disabled? I shouldn't have even see his post!

Ditto! Methinks GG changed sometin, cuz I know I didn't.
jc

Nothing in my kill file has worked in days. Have no idea why.
On 3/28/2010 4:12 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Google bets on the come for future data mining revenue ... everything gets archived.
It will indeed appear, from the Google user interface, that it has been "removed" ... in reality, Google will have it cached somewhere in perpetuity, even if it was canceled before the few minutes that it takes for the message to be broadcast via nntp, and then you're correct, 'what happens on the net, stays on the net'.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

It's also acceptable to post a link to such things in a (short) sig or to reference them in a thread where it's on topic, with appropriate disclaimers.

...and steal. ;-)

Hey, no need to apologize, it's not a particularly poor design and the thing looks just grand.
Years ago, in Sarasota, there was a fellow with a definite Mechanical Engineering talent who also partook of a bit of wood working to sooth his troubled soul and please wife and children (I suspect).
For the area, he had quite a spread - probably an acre, maybe more. The first thing I noticed when I arrived (actually looking to purchase something he advertised that - once I saw it - I realized I didn't need) was his mail box out at teh edge of the road.
It was a real contraption and it brought the mail to him! It "knew" when the mailman had deposited the goods and ran on some sort of track back to a covered portion of his home where he might retrieve it without being rained upon should it be raining, of course.
He had a piss pipe installed in his shop - much neater than the quart jar I keep handy now that I know so much more than I ever wanted to about prosrtate problems.
But the thing that brings him to mind as his adjustable bench - how do you spell pneumatic? That's how he had it rigged to go up and down. And, because the bottom/underneath was clear of any obstructions. it really could serve a wheelchair bound craftsman (hey aren't we all wheelchair bound?).
Now, it wasn't a wood worker's bench. It did have a vise - also pneumatically operated! - and a shelf with a light underneath which traveled in concert with the bench.
Now, for those plans, I'd pay you $29.99
He had pother interesting things he'd done with his table saw (adjustable some how) and his drill press (an ossilating feature as I recall) and the wiring in his retreat and home. I went to visit an acquaintance about a year later and found him living in that fellow's home and all the fancy stuff was gone.
I have to confess that I was hoping to find a bench like his when I responded to these posts.
But, again, no need to apologize.
In article

Charlie, this is usenet. You will never be able to remove the original post.
You haven't offended anyone, you've just been hit with the wreck clue-bat!
Stick around... It's a good place, with lots of interesting people and opinions!
jack-bench.com wrote:

No need to apoligize, it's good to see a woodworking related post in this woodworking news group for a change. I ask that you stick around... I'd says you'd be a welcomed addition to the group.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Thanks for cutting me some slack. I appreciate that!!
Charlie
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:10:12 -0700 (PDT), "jack-bench.com"

As you probably noticed, most responses to your original post were favorable to your bench and plans, just not the "web etiquette" involved, which you can't be blamed for not knowing.. Hang out with us and make saw dust..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I'll re-post something I recieved "way back":
* Welcome to rec.woodworking, known locally as the wreck * This is an informal group with users of all levels of knowledge, from those who have yet to pick up a tool, professional woodworkers, authors of books on woodworking, woodworking magazine editors, principals of tool companies, and every level in between. This group is a collection of people with a common interest in woodworking (ww'ing, also woodDorking), and as such the topics discussed sometimes wander away. Think of this NG as if having a number of friends over to the shop to discuss wooddorking; 90% of the discussion will revolve around woodworking, but may also hit on other things going on, like the shop dog dying, gloating about the vintage minty fresh Unisaur found at $100, a new job, etc. That is what happens in this NG.
[ There used to be a full FAQ for this newsgroup at http://www.robson.org/woodfaq /. However, it had not been updated for years and has now been taken off-line (sometime in the first half of 2008?) ]
*** Pictures accompanying a post can be posted on a website (do provide a link) or on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (or alt.binaries.pictures.furniture)
**** One of the traditions of Usenet Newsgroups (NG) that is encouraged, is the tradition of "lurking", or hanging around for a while, taking in the local culture before posting to the NG. While not mandatory, it is asked that newcomers just sit back and read the NG for a short time before a first posting. This will allow gradual familiarization with how things are done in this neck of the woods, become familiar with the locals, etc. Sometimes some members of this NG can be a little harsh, but this is to be taken it in stride. The timid don't survive NG's for very long. However, politeness does matter, this is one of the few NG's left on Usenet where decorum is still common practice rather than the exception. Posting off-topic is not encouraged. If done anyway it greatly helps if the subjectline is prefaced with "OT", so that those not interested in OT posts can skip them.
**** One resource that is even greater than this NG is this NG's archives. This link http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q leads to a page where any specific topic can be entered, together with "rec.woodworking" as the newsgroup to search. Some people say that if everyone were to use Google before they posted a question, this NG would be dead, but this is a pessimistic point of view. Likely all that would happen is that many of the common repetitive posts would disappear and people would get better advice. Some of the most knowledgeable people from this NG have left due to the high noise-to-signal ratio.
***** A note about advice received here on the wreck While much of the advice given here will be top notch, the use of common sense is to be recommended: something that does not feel/sound safe should not be put into practice. Just because someone else does something one way does not mean that is the only or even the correct way. Your safety is your responsibility.
***** * A note on Trolls People, *PLEASE* do not reply to the trolls, leave them under their pitiful bridge to starve. And they will starve, and go away if people stop feeding them with replies.
LINKS TO GREAT WOODWORKING SITES # Dust Collection FAQ, everything you wanted to know about dust collection, http://mypeoplepc.com/members/dstig/dustfaq_1.html # Steambending FAQ, http://www.wcha.org/tidbits/steamfaq.html # Free Plans, http://absolutelyfreeplans.com # Loads of Free Plans and Links, http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr/flip/www/plans.html # WoodShop Demos, lots of ww'ing demos and info, http://www.woodshopdemos.com/menu2.htm # Woodworker's Central, where you can find reviews of equipment, FREE plans and much much more, http://www.woodworking.org / # WoodBin Plan Finder, http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/planfinder.htm # Internet Woodworking.com W5, Free plans, much reference material, http://www.internetwoodworking.com / # Plans Now, pay ww'ing plans, http://www.plansnow.com/index.html # Free Woodworking Plans, http://www.freeplans.com / # More Free Woodworking Plans, http://plans.the3house.com / # Woodweb, lots of ww'ing industry info, http://www.woodweb.com / # Woodworking.com, http://www.woodworking.com / # The Old Woodworking Machinery Website. Everything you wanted to know about buying, restoring and using vintage woodworking machinery, http://www.oldwwmachines.com / # Bernie Hunt's Porter-Cable 557 plate joiner FAQ's, http://www.huntfamily.com/pc557.cfm
# Old Tools Mailing List FAQ, info for collectors and users of old hand tools, http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/oldtools.html # The Electronic Neanderthal, traditional ww'ing info, http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~alf/en/frontpage.html # Patrick's Blood and Gore, Everything you ever wanted to know about Stanley hand plans, and much more, http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm # The Stanley Bench Plane Dating Page http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating / # Scary Sharp, find out what all the fuss is about, how to sharpen tools with sandpaper, http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM#original # crowbar FAQ http://www.shavings.net/CrowBarFAQ.HTM
** Links to Woodworking Magazines ** - Fine Woodworking, http://www.taunton.com/fw / - Popular Woodworking, http://www.popularwoodworking.com / - Wood Magazine, http://www.woodmagazine.com - Woodworkers Journal, http://www.woodworkersjournal.com / - Canadian Woodworking magazine, http://www.canadianwoodworking.com / - Shop Notes Magazine, http://www.shopnotes.com / - Woodsmith Magazine, http://www.woodsmith.com / - Workbench Magazine, http://www.workbenchmagazine.com /
** Links to online retailers ** - Lee Valley (great tools), http://www.leevalley.com/home/main.asp - Lie-Nielsen (top of the line hand planes), http://www.lie-nielsen.com / - Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes (top of the line wooden hand planes) http://www.knight-toolworks.com / - Grizzly, http://www.grizzly.com - Rockler, http://www.rockler.com - Woodcraft, http://www.woodcraft.com - Garrett Wade, http://www.garrettwade.com - Amazon, Tool Crib of the North, (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/ - Jeff Jewit's Homestead Finishing, great finishing advice and finishing products, http://www.homesteadfinishing.com / - Paddy O'deens (Patrick Olguin) Shellac.net, best Shellac on the net, http://www.shellac.net/index.html
** Links to Woodworking Equipment manufacturers ** - General and General International, http://www.general.ca / - Delta, http://www.deltawoodworking.com - Jet USA, http://www.jettools.com / - Jet Canada, http://www.jetequipment.com / - Performax Sanders, http://www.performaxproducts.com / - Powermatic, http://www.powermatic.com / - Wilke Machinery Company (Bridgewood), http://www.wilkemachinery.com - Dewalt, http://www.dewalt.com/us/core/ - Porter Cable, http://www.porter-cable.com / - Hitachi Power Tools, http://www.hitachi.com/product/personal/diy/index.html - Makita, http://www.makita.com / - Bosch, http://www.boschtools.com / - Milwaukee, http://www.mil-electric-tool.com / - Northfield Foundry & Machine Co., Serious Big Iron, in the old iron tradition, http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com - Forrest Saw Blades (makers of the famous WWII blade), http://www.forrestsawblades.com / - Leigh Dovetail Jig, best DT jig on the market, http://www.leighjigs.com - Carter, the famous bandsaw guide company, http://www.carterproducts.com /
** Links to Woodworking shows on TV ** - New Yankee Workshop, http://www.newyankee.com / - The Woodwright's Shop with Roy Underhill, http://www.ibiblio.org/uncpress/woodwright / - The Router Workshop, http://www.routerworkshop.com /
** Related News Groups ** - alt.binaries.pictures.furniture - alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking - rec.crafts.woodturning - rec.crafts.carving - alt.home.repair
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q

Looks like a great workbench! It should be included in Scott Landis' book on workbenches if Taunton Press ever reissues it.

Thanks for the compliments and for the encouragement. It looks like this can be a pretty tough group! Regardless of that, what I am interested in is woodworking. I like making furniture, tables, boxes, cabinets, etc. I enjoy carving, veneering, and getting lost in the process. I am always looking at new techniques. The other day I attended a seminar on gilding and mold making. I have not actually built much in the last year or so, because getting those plans done properly took so much of my free time. I am disapointed by the tone of some of the postings I see here, but there is enough good that I do plan to stick around this group.
Charlie
On 3/30/2010 5:27 PM, jack-bench.com wrote:

You'll fit in fine ... as Lew say's, some of us have a tendency to huff and puff on occasion, and we all manage to take a turn in that barrel, but most respect each others contributions enough to not hold a grudge after the occasional pissing contest is over and done with.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Thanks for the compliments and for the encouragement. It looks like this can be a pretty tough group! Regardless of that, what I am interested in is woodworking. I like making furniture, tables, boxes, cabinets, etc. I enjoy carving, veneering, and getting lost in the process. I am always looking at new techniques. The other day I attended a seminar on gilding and mold making. I have not actually built much in the last year or so, because getting those plans done properly took so much of my free time. I am disapointed by the tone of some of the postings I see here, but there is enough good that I do plan to stick around this group.
Charlie
Charlie I really hope you do stick around. I mentioned that I was not fond of the closed in area and that I would like to use that area for storage. Have you ever considered screws in each leg to raise and lower the bench? I would work like a planer does to raise and lower the table or cutter head, one central screw that ties to all the others.

Hi Leon,
I considered many different designs. The reason I went with the scissors jack is because it was simpler to build. I think using scissors jacks are less expensive, too.
Charlie
"Leon" wrote:

I agree.
Charlie's woodworking skills are clearly superior to his marketing prowess.<G>
Look forward to his participation.
Lew