Must See TV (really!) -- "Alone In the Wilderness"

I just happened to catch "Alone In the Wilderness" on PBS last week.
It's about Dick Proenekke, who at 51, got himself dropped off on a remote lake in Alaska to see if he could survive for a year. This was 1968.
He brought with him an axe, couple handsaws, spoke shave, auger bit, etc. First job was to make a mallet and fashion handles for the tools (brought handle-less to save room on the trip in).
In short order he built a log cabin and made all sorts of furniture for himself. Even made hinges and a door latch. He used a 3-foot handsaw to do the sort of resawing you guys buy them fancy 18" bandsaws for!
All that handsawing--he's not a big guy, but one shot of him (and he documented his progress by himself, with his own cameras) shows a bicep that bulges like a grapefruit! (My own leetle biceps started tremoring just watching him resawing a 2-foot diameter log!)
Guess he liked it--stayed there for over 30 years.
Although the film covers other aspects of his life there, the main focus is on his incredible woodworking.
--John W. Wells for more info, Google "alone in the wilderness"
yeah, but the skeeters!

Yeah, wusses (like me!) need not apply. In one close-up scene Dick Proenekke is vigorously makin' chips, he leans forward a bit and you can see some sort of bag (net?) covering his head!
--JWW

From the Bloomington area myself. Last night was hit by a swarm. Very small nasty little ba$tards. The worst skeeters I've ever seen were at Moses Lake in central (?) Washington in August.

Right nearby is, ya know, Mosquito Lake. Tell syou somethin'.

sounds like somebody oughta tinker with the local ecology a bit.
there are such things as fish that eat skeeters, ya know....