Must See TV (really!) -- "Alone In the Wilderness"

I just happened to catch "Alone In the Wilderness" on PBS last week.

It's about Dick Proenekke, who at 51, got himself dropped off on a remote lake in Alaska to see if he could survive for a year. This was

1968.

He brought with him an axe, couple handsaws, spoke shave, auger bit, etc. First job was to make a mallet and fashion handles for the tools (brought handle-less to save room on the trip in).

In short order he built a log cabin and made all sorts of furniture for himself. Even made hinges and a door latch. He used a 3-foot handsaw to do the sort of resawing you guys buy them fancy 18" bandsaws for!

All that handsawing--he's not a big guy, but one shot of him (and he documented his progress by himself, with his own cameras) shows a bicep that bulges like a grapefruit! (My own leetle biceps started tremoring just watching him resawing a 2-foot diameter log!)

Guess he liked it--stayed there for over 30 years.

Although the film covers other aspects of his life there, the main focus is on his incredible woodworking.

--John W. Wells for more info, Google "alone in the wilderness"

Reply to
John W. Wells

Kevin

Yeah, wusses (like me!) need not apply. In one close-up scene Dick Proenekke is vigorously makin' chips, he leans forward a bit and you can see some sort of bag (net?) covering his head!

--JWW

Reply to
John W. Wells

Spent most of the month of July in Alaska. While the stories of the numbers of mosquitoes are true they don't tell the whole story: mosquitoes around here in southern Indiana *hurt* when they bite, I don't think I ever *felt* the first bite in Alaska. Sure the clouds of the little blood suckers swarming around your head can be maddening but it is possible to just tune them out for short periods and I'm sure with prolonged exposure you'ld quit noticing'em.

Reply to
John Keeney

From the Bloomington area myself. Last night was hit by a swarm. Very small nasty little ba$tards. The worst skeeters I've ever seen were at Moses Lake in central (?) Washington in August.

Reply to
Kevin

Right nearby is, ya know, Mosquito Lake. Tell syou somethin'.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

sounds like somebody oughta tinker with the local ecology a bit.

there are such things as fish that eat skeeters, ya know....

Reply to
bridger