Must-have tool.

Page 2 of 3

I vote for spiral -- works good on grapefruits, too.
Same little knife. I have two -- lose one and the other appears.
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:16:36 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Robatoy

QS, one-handed, with my katana, of course.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
scrawled the following:

I took a trip with Mom and she got doublesearched for her (blunt nosed) sewing scissors. I sailed through the inspection with a sharpened 9" pencil 18" from the TSA inspector's eye, in my shirt pocket. My Victorinox had to be in checked luggage, as did my 4" Crescent wrench, my 5' blade/philips electronics screwdriver, my fingernail clippers, and some other tools.
I feel much safer now that babies can't have their sterile bottles on the airplane, don't you? <sigh>
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

No kidding. I have tried to carry one of those things, but growing up with a pocket knife in my pocket (think your first scout knife) they don't do the trick. I almost never need a tool that does a few things on a small scale in a small way. I think I would carry a multitool before I carried one of those. But that being said, the sell more of those now that ever.
I got my first pocket knife at age 5. I made a large "trimming cut" on my Mom's drain board, and after I got my hide trimmed pretty well, the knife was removed from my person.
It was returned on year later with a stiff warning.
I can't imagine NOT having a pocket knife, and I have more than I would care to admit. I carry two at work. Both vary in rotation, so it depends on which one I feel like carrying and which ones are sharp. Almost all my knives will shave hair; they are supposed to cut!
The small knife in my pocket is my splinter picker, and is used for any fine work along those lines. It slices easily into fingers and arms to remove wood, etc. It is great at making wood plugs for screws when I am doing door repairs. Most of the time its most important job is to cut the traditional "V" cut into the back of an occasional cigar.
The larger knife is one I clip to my pocket. It goes in the pocket with only the clip showing. This knife gets punished. It does light prying, cuts out old caulk, cuts material banding straps, opens cardboard boxes with equipment or materials, removes cuts the end of caulk tubes, etc., etc. It also does ugly utility cutting if needed such as shingles, felt paper and sheetrock if I am stuck without my utility knife.
Strangely, with all the new super steels out there and all the indestructible handle materials, the knife I like to carry on the weekends (or when I am off) is my old fashioned Barlow. This beauty is fashioned after a 100 year old pattern of blades, and is of course, the traditional tradesman work knife. It has D2 steel, and amber boned saw cut handles and is gorgeous. This one will shave anytime as I keep it as sharp as I can get it without stropping. This was a birthday present to me and it is in my pocket whenever I can work it in.
It's a good time for pocket knives as there is a renaissance in quality, design, materials and workmanship. There are about 4 makers out there that are in America that seem to be making good ground with traditionalists.
Since I tend to have mine for decades, that't a great thing for me and American business!
Robert
On 3/19/2010 9:37 PM, Leon wrote:

No way! Almost the same story here (except I probably lost a lot more than three, and they weren't all Bucks); I was _always_ losing pocket knives, but about 18 years ago my mother in law bought me a Kershaw and it's still in my pocket today...
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Boy wouldn't tham make a cool ad for Kershaw. The knife you cannot loose. LOL. Rethinking back, I probably got the Kershaw about 20 years ago. I gotta say, the Kershaw is a fine pocket knife. I has never gotten loose up like the Buck's did.
On 3/20/2010 11:57 AM, Leon wrote:

Too late ... Schrade Walden did that with their "Uncle Henry" knives over 50 years ago, in which the "lifetime guarantee" included loss.
Since I simply can NOT lose a POS knife, but I can always somehow manage to lose the good ones, I availed myself of that a few times early in my yoot ... probably why they no longer do it (I'm assuming they got smart and quit doing it?)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

years ago.
CW wrote:

Well, don't suppose that those two things just _might_ be related??? :)

Nooooo that is diffferent.... "lifetime guarantee against loss" they replace it if you loose it. The Kershaw "Can't" be lost. LOL
On 3/20/2010 1:31 PM, Leon wrote:

Wanna bet? ... I'll trade knives with you tonight, and we'll see in a few days. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Geeeeeeez! May I restate, It has never gotten loose like the Bucks did.
"Leon" wrote

That is an excellent way to find tools!
Works most of the time.
On 3/19/2010 4:00 PM, Leon wrote:

Yep, and no matter how long you put off buying the replacement, the old one won't turn up until you do. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

. Eggs sackly! Almost with out fail within a day or two.

The next time I buy a 2' level, I'm buying one of those key finders for it. Next time it gets lost, I can walk around pressing the "find" button.
One of these days, that level will show up again... Get used, lost, and not show up for another 6-12 months.
Puckdropper

Hi Steve= I like your rockers. Beautiful work. Smitty ##################################

Oh hey... thanks! I've got some more rockers (of a different style) waiting to be made from the various piles of walnut, mesquite, sugar maple, honey locust, and hickory that I have out in the shop, but I've got so many other things in my hair right now I don't know when I'm going to get around to it.
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:21:36 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique

Sounds like a good tool. I don't need to go buy one, though. I just found one just like it at a new restaurant..... --DS
"Jay Pique" wrote:

For years I would pass out small screwdrivers with a magnet in the top to prospects when I made a sales call.
Would caution the person receiving the screwdriver that it contained a pair of invisible legs and would get up and walk away when they weren't looking.
A lot of screwdrivers disappeared, but NBD, gave me an excuse to make another sales call.
Lew