Must-have tool.

Page 1 of 3
So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.
JP
On 3/19/2010 3:21 PM, Jay Pique wrote:

Know what you mean. My "pacifier" is a saddle square that stays in an apron pocket. If it's not there, I go looking for it until it is. I lost the old one on the last cabinet job, and bought two this time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Mine is an old, beat up, half broken 16' tape measure. It has a small body that I like. I haven't seen any like it until I went to the BORG last week. They actually had them but packaged with a larger 25'. I might breakdown and buy it and give the 25' away.
Allen
"allen476" wrote
Mine is an old, beat up, half broken 16' tape measure. It has a small body that I like. I haven't seen any like it until I went to the BORG last week. They actually had them but packaged with a larger 25'. I might breakdown and buy it and give the 25' away. ================ I have a big monstosity of a tape that my wife got for me. It is a bright, neon color. I found the perfect use for it.
I leave it in the house on top of an enertainment center. My wife can locate it, doesn't lose it and can measure anything she wants with it.
She doesn't steal my regular tape measures and has something big and colorful enough, she doesn't lose it.
On 3/19/2010 7:15 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Your wife loses stuff? Hmm, I'm not familiar with that concept... :-)

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you buy the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up that way. :~)

I used to buy really nice expensive pocket knives. I always lost them. I finally gave up and bought a nice but inexpenisve Case, and I've had it for about 35 years now.

I lost 3 Buck's and then about 28 years ago bought a Kershaw, I have not lost it yet. LOL
On 3/19/2010 9:37 PM, Leon wrote:

Buy a Swiss Army knife ... that's one yuppie POS that you can't throw away without someone bringing it back to you. :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Aw, yer taste is all in yer mouth, Swingy. I have a lovely little pal in my Victorinox Classic SD. Handy toothpick, tweezers (works on metal and wood splinters), small knife, scissors, nail file. I use it daily. I also have chisels, drawknives, box cutters, linoleum cutters, machetes, and half a dozen other blades for other things. Twine, boxes, nails, teeth, and splinters? This one is just -made- for it, and small enough to fit in my pocket without a single problem. I've used one for at least 35 years. (none lost came back, either.)
So THERE! Mr. Swissdisser. Pffffffft!
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
"Larry Jaques" wrote

washed a couple of them too. But they still work OK.
Ia addition to being a small multipurpose tool, I use it to open letters and packages. And its most important function, I can trim nose, ear and mustache hair with it!
Try doing that with a big ole pocket knife.

MY Dutch Army Knife has a small motor which holds a routerbit and the battery also powers small wheels which makes the DAK travel across a 4 x 8 sheet cutting out patterns via GPS and ordinary uploaded G-code files....AND it has toothpik.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:23:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I have the model up from that that makes toothpicks as needed.

What about the Bokma?
--
Best regards
Han

Braggart
--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,
Swingman wrote:

I've been carrying the same Swiss Army knife around for about 30 years... My most used tool by far. The knives (it has two) are the least used part of it. The magnifying "glass" is probably the most used as my eyes age, but the tweezers, screw drivers (Phillips and slotted), bottle openers and scissors all get used more than the knife blades... Why would anyone carry around just a knife?
--
Jack
"I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work."
On 3/21/2010 10:50 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

I have two SAK's ... like I say, I can't get rid of the damned things.
Besides, right tool for the job:
If I need an "all purpose" tool on site on in the shop, a SAK will not do the job.
For my three piece suit pocket when I'm hobnobbing with office effete elite, they work just fine .... and I can always find them.
<G>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Gewoon op z'n nederlands <LOL>.
My son-in-law teaches math of various kinds in a high school, but he isn't nearby enough to ask what you meant. Lastig ...
--
Best regards
Han