Must-have tool.

So this week I installed some cabinets in a new restaurant in Rochester and somehow or another my favorite hammer disappeared. It's a small Craftsman brand hammer with a red rubber head on one side and a yellow plastic head on the other. It sits in the hamer loop of my Carhartt pants all day every day while I'm in the shop and I guess I didn't realize just how much I used it. It's perfect for tapping parts into alignment and I absolutely can't live without it now. So I sprung for the additional $10 and got myself another. Peace has been restored in my universe. Just thought I'd mention it because it's such a handy tool and I'd recommend it to any woodworker.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Know what you mean. My "pacifier" is a saddle square that stays in an apron pocket. If it's not there, I go looking for it until it is. I lost the old one on the last cabinet job, and bought two this time.

Reply to
Swingman

If your luck is like mine, it will turn up almost immediately after you buy the replacement. I have had 3 pocket knives and a wrecking bar turn up that way. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Mine is an old, beat up, half broken 16' tape measure. It has a small body that I like. I haven't seen any like it until I went to the BORG last week. They actually had them but packaged with a larger 25'. I might breakdown and buy it and give the 25' away.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

I used to buy really nice expensive pocket knives. I always lost them. I finally gave up and bought a nice but inexpenisve Case, and I've had it for about 35 years now.

Reply to
salty

Sounds like a good tool. I don't need to go buy one, though. I just found one just like it at a new restaurant.....

--DS

Reply to
Dudley Hewitt Squat

"Leon" wrote

Doncha know Leon?

That is an excellent way to find tools!

Works most of the time.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"allen476" wrote

Mine is an old, beat up, half broken 16' tape measure. It has a small body that I like. I haven't seen any like it until I went to the BORG last week. They actually had them but packaged with a larger 25'. I might breakdown and buy it and give the 25' away. =================

I have a big monstosity of a tape that my wife got for me. It is a bright, neon color. I found the perfect use for it.

I leave it in the house on top of an enertainment center. My wife can locate it, doesn't lose it and can measure anything she wants with it.

She doesn't steal my regular tape measures and has something big and colorful enough, she doesn't lose it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Yep, and no matter how long you put off buying the replacement, the old one won't turn up until you do. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Your wife loses stuff? Hmm, I'm not familiar with that concept... :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

. Eggs sackly! Almost with out fail within a day or two.

Reply to
Leon

I lost 3 Buck's and then about 28 years ago bought a Kershaw, I have not lost it yet. LOL

Reply to
Leon

----------------------------------- For years I would pass out small screwdrivers with a magnet in the top to prospects when I made a sales call.

Would caution the person receiving the screwdriver that it contained a pair of invisible legs and would get up and walk away when they weren't looking.

A lot of screwdrivers disappeared, but NBD, gave me an excuse to make another sales call.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Buy a Swiss Army knife ... that's one yuppie POS that you can't throw away without someone bringing it back to you. :(

Reply to
Swingman

"Leon" wrote in news:zfqdnYs8ees2qTnWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The next time I buy a 2' level, I'm buying one of those key finders for it. Next time it gets lost, I can walk around pressing the "find" button.

One of these days, that level will show up again... Get used, lost, and not show up for another 6-12 months.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Hate the number of tools I lost. Fortunately its amazing how many I found up in ceilings and roofs and all the places I lost mine.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

No way! Almost the same story here (except I probably lost a lot more than three, and they weren't all Bucks); I was _always_ losing pocket knives, but about 18 years ago my mother in law bought me a Kershaw and it's still in my pocket today...

Reply to
Steve Turner

...I love mine, too. It resides in my shop...but when I do a cabinet install job I've got a 2lb dead blow that gets lost regularly, lol, and gets found again or nothing else gets done!

cg

Reply to
Chasgroh

Boy wouldn't tham make a cool ad for Kershaw. The knife you cannot loose. LOL. Rethinking back, I probably got the Kershaw about 20 years ago. I gotta say, the Kershaw is a fine pocket knife. I has never gotten loose up like the Buck's did.

Reply to
Leon

Too late ... Schrade Walden did that with their "Uncle Henry" knives over 50 years ago, in which the "lifetime guarantee" included loss.

Since I simply can NOT lose a POS knife, but I can always somehow manage to lose the good ones, I availed myself of that a few times early in my yoot ... probably why they no longer do it (I'm assuming they got smart and quit doing it?)

Reply to
Swingman