Must be a better way!

Greetings, I lurk here off and on I don't contribute much info, due to the fact I feel there are many here more experienced than myself. With that precedent,I have a wood working predicament. I have to put egg shaped impressions in harwood 1-3/4 wide by 2-1/4 appr. 3/8 deep. I have been using a jig that I clamp to the wood and I use a 1-1/2" dia. cove shape cutter in a 3 hp plunge router. This is a very labor intensive way to accomplish this task. The bit leaves a small area in the center I need to sand out with my Foredom, and it is very scary plunging into the wood. Any ideas? Maybe get a special made cutter, so I don't have to go around in the jig? Chip clean out is a problem as well. Here is a link to a pic of the finished pocket.
http://www.lambpipes.com/bowlcloseup.jpg
I do these inline. Could this be accomplished with a cnc router? Thank you for your time.
Ken Lamb wrote:

Easily.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

A second router with a flat cutting bit set to the correct depth (not a plunge setup) would make the leftover cleanup a breeze. Why is it scary plunging the router into the wood? Routing is a relativly safe activity with the correct techniques. Maybe there is something in your technique that needs to be fixed. Maybe you need to make the plunge in a couple of steps so you are not removing too much at once. Maybe if you take my advice about the second router, you could clean out the middle first with the flat bit and that would be less for the profiled bit to remove.

If you are doing several next to each other like it appears on the picture, make a jig that will do all of the cutouts at once so you only have to position the jig once instead of moving it and realigning it for each cut.

Yes definately, but the cost may be excessive. I would spend some time making your current setup work better before deciding to tak the plunge (ha!).
Frank
Thanks Frank the flat bit sounds like a good idea. I do take 3 passes to finish the pocket, mostly for removing the chips. I have a jig that allows me to make 20 pockets without moving the jig. It is scary because I am trying to remove to much at once. (poor techinique) I would love to outsource this operation to a large woodshop with a CNC router. I am in Michigan Thanks again, Ken

your
take
with
jig?
picture,

techinique)
Makes sense. I am also in Michigan (Clarkston) but am unaware of any shops that could help. I'm sure they exist however. Where do you live?
Frank

shops
Saginaw 1hr 15min N of you
Ken

feel
Ken, Couple thoughts. Are these cups the same depth front to back, or shallower @ the front edge(or would you like them shallower @ front edge)? The picture looks like same depth. I agree with Frank that you may need to do it in 2 steps, taking about half the depth, then coming back @ full depth.
I understand the "labor intensive" part! Did the whole front porch railing system, cutting pockets for spindles in the bottom rails with 3/8" straight bit & plunge router. Can't help you with that dilemma unless you're willing to shuck out the shekels for the CNC work.
IF you wanted the pocket "tapered" you could make your jig tapered, say 1/4" higher @ the front edge. Might also help some of the *scary* plunge, start @ the shallow end and go deeper.
Just my $.02
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

feel
These are all great ideas guys. I am going to try these tips. Thank you very much, Ken

appr.
intensive
jig?