Musings On A Cane

I'm 6'4" also. Used a walking stick for a few years in my youth when walking underground as a mining surveyor. Sticks were provided for officials in the mining industry here in the UK -- called Deputy's yard sticks, they were a yard long. They were an easy and quick way to make daily measurements. Never long enough for me. I had one made which was a metre long (about 39 inches). I still have it. I also have 2 others which have been specially made for me over the years by friends in anticipation of my old age. One is turned walnut with a silver top and ferrule -- 40" long overall. Ideal length for me.

I once had a problem while surveying trying to reconcile one guys measurements with mine on my quarterly survey. He'd used his yard stick to measure, so there shouldn't have been that much discrepancy in the figures.

Then I realised he was much shorter than me, and I measured his stick. He'd cut it down to 2'9". So every time he measured 10 yards (10 stick lengths), he was actually measuring 27'6".

Malcolm Webb

Reply to
Malcolm Webb

Dunno. I don't remember the particulars, but two different exercise nazi types did their own version. One of them was a female aerobics instructor. She ate salads, grilled chicken sandwiches and such like, and counted calories and nutritional considerations very studiously while on her McDonald's diet. I don't remember how much she lost or gained. The other one was a male fitness trainer I think. He ate some gawdawful amount of Big Macs and stuff, like 5,000 calories a day, and he lost, IIRC, 30 pounds on his McDonald's diet because he also put in some ridiculous number of hours at the gym burning off the calories he took in.

The problem is you have to either A) count calories and weigh nutritional considerations carefully, or B) exercise your ass off to eat at McDonald's every day without transmogrifying into a f***ss like the guy in Super Size Me.

Now me, I'm definitely in the borderline f***ss category, and I hate exercising just for the sake of exercising, so a McDonald's diet is not in my cards. I'm just saying there's more to the story than fast food is evil. I'd say more likely fast food is just food, if you avoid the double grease burger and triple helping of lard drippings on top (Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... lard drippings....), and the biggest culprit in our society is that life is just too damn easy.

We don't have to chase our food anymore, and we don't even hardly have to work for a living either. Lots of people sit around on their ass all day at work, then come home and sit around on their ass all day at home in front of the idiot light, or the computer. I know I definitely fit in this category. I drive all day, which means sitting, and I come home and sit in front of the computer. More exercise for my mind than the idiot light, but not a good cure for my assal fattalitis. (And yes, I've noticed that the difference between assal fattalitis and assal FATALitis is very small.)

Fortunately for me, I got my weight more or less back under control after my wife recovered from her surgical doings and started cooking again. She is a TERRIBLE cook. I can barely stand to eat her cooking, and I don't really need the calories anyway, so I'm back down to 195. 195 is still overweight, but if I can at least hold 195 I'll be happy. I was at 215 while I was doing the cooking. I'm a good cook, but I don't know how to cook anything that isn't fried or flame kist.

Although I did make an effort to feed my kids flame kist and fried vegetables, at least. Did you know you can deep fat fry carrots? (I'm kidding. I did make a real effort to feed them nutritionally balanced meals. As does my wife. The difference is my nutritionally balanced stuff is actually edible. :)

Reply to
Silvan

It's purpoted that the "Bell" has felled more that cholera. One does not eat fast food to feel good, one eats fast food to feel "full". But that place is death in a tortilla.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Thu, Feb 3, 2005, 9:00pm snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Buddy=A0Matlosz) asks: Ahhh, forget all that crap - can you dowse with it?

Nah. Tried it today. It's dead wood. You can't dowse with dead wood.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Fri, Feb 4, 2005, 1:29am snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) asks: When you're 110 to 140? :)

Sounds about right.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

If you do not remember, what was the *point* of telling me this. ;-p

Whatever you put in you need to take out.

Which much of the population does not do and which is why Canada and the States has the obesity problems they have now.

Yes it is. Macines make things too easy for everyone. When was the last time *anyone* in this newsgroup made a peice of furniture

*completely* by hand as the first settlers did. ************************************** I'm *not* a bad person. I simply made the mistake of getting involved with a *jack*ss*. Is it a coincidence that he lives on a farm? **************************************
Reply to
jaime

Not being a troll, just making a point. Seriously, I think that a lot of people put entirely too much emphasis on this film. It is by no means a work of art, nor any sort of scientific musing.

Its incoherent, misleading and oftentimes just wrong.

I read that Spurlock pulled some of his obesity statistics from back issues of Men's Health. Come on now.

Reply to
agingqueen