Musings On A Cane

Page 1 of 2
I've been using a cane for the last few weeks. Seems I ate something from the local Taco Hell, and within a half-hour after, began suffering from an upset somach. Which progressively got worse, and lasted about a week. A case of intestional indigestion perhaps. Or perhaps they changed the type of oil they cook with - when MacDonalds changed their cooking oil, a lot of people had various reactions to it, including a few quite severe. Moot point now, I don't eat anything from there anymore.
Whatever it was, as a result, I seem to now have a disturbance of my inner ear. And, as a result of that, now occassionally lose my balance. Haven't fallen, but close a few times.
So, cane time. I had been planning on making one or three canes when I got old and needed one, but the time to need one came way ahead of schedule, and no canes made. Needed a cane. Now.
Cruised down to one of the local drugstores. The town is growing like Hell, and among other things has 3 drugstores, 4 if you count one in the new Wal-Mart just outside of town. I knew the drugstore had canes, and I needed one. They had adjustable aluminum ones for around $22, and I about got one of those. Figured I could fiddle a bit, until I got it at the optimum length. The wood ones were only about $11, but they were a bit long. Then I got considering, and decided I could cut a wood one down to size.
So got a wood cane, "walnut" according to the tag. Yeah, right. It was way long I thought, came above my waist, and my elbow was bent. I'm 5'7" and figured I'd have to cut inches off of it, I figured short enough to have my arm about straight when I was standing with the cane. Wasn't going to cut it right off, wanted to get a handle on how much to lop off first.
And, wound up leaving the cane as is. I don't think it'd be near as comfortable using it, if it was shorter. Plus, standing, I can sorta lean on it. Surprising, because I thought it would be uncomfortable left long, now I figure it'd be uncomfortable if it was shorter.
It was invaluable for the first week or so. Now, the inner ear disturbance has pretty much gone away, but still there. I don't really need the cane any more, but it's a great confidence builder, because I could still need it. Anyway, I still use it, just in case. I drive a pickup, and put it in the cab the first week or so. That was pretty much a PITA tho, it'd slide over, or down on the floor. Now I just put it in the bed, and hook the handle in one of those holes in the topside of the bed. Works great. Get out of the cab, grab the cane. Then just stick it in the bed again, and into the cab. Much less hassle.
Like I said, I don't figure I still really need it, but I have still lost my balance a bit in the house once or twice, fortunately not outside, so still carry it. Just in case. Too bad I couldn't have waited until I was old before I needed it, but that's life. Anyway, that'll be 20-30 years in the future. Besides, with my knees as they now are, especially the right one, it's very good insurance, particularly going up and down steps.
Otherwise, basically, life is good.

What kind of story is that? I was envisioning something like you not needing the cane anymore, but it happened to be a handy weapon when some bugger tried to rob you. The "LEAST" I expected was that it saved you in some way like you fell into the river with it and at the last minute before you went over the falls, you used the crook of the cane to snag a tree branch, thus saving you from certain drowning.
Bah! I'm so disappointed.
Thu, Feb 3, 2005, 4:44am snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) laments: <snip> I'm so disappointed.
My ghostwriter was out of town. I'll try to do better next time.
J T wrote: snip of the perils of eating at McD/KFC/TB

Sorry to hear that you had to learn to use a cane. Think about how much fun it is to find one if you're 6'4". %-) What I did when I need one, was to toss it into my Easy Rider Rifle Rack. Just a thought. I found that if I had to twist to get out of the cab then walk around to the bed, it kinda defeated the point of having the cane with me. Alos increased the opportunity to kiss the pavement before I got to the cane. YMMV Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

You sure it isn't a Red Ryder Rifle Rack?
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

Pretty sure, I haven't had a Red Ryder in a lot of years. Still got a Daisy for less-than-lethal, but it doesn't go into the truck. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
J T wrote:

I came into a couple of old, solid brass doorknobs. I made a cane head out of one after shining it up. It looks ok, probably would not work too well for its intended use, but would make an awesome weapon since the shaft is heavy ash. What I will really need is a brain cane.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 02:11:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Good move. Go rent and watch the movie Supersize Me and you will *never* eat in a fastfood joint again.

Sorry to hear that.

Great story. I took my mom's cane after she passed away. It is made of wood and very nice. I figure I might use it one day if I ever blow out a knee after working out too much at the YMCA but in the meantime it is just nice having it and knowing it used to belong to my mom.
Thu, Feb 3, 2005, 9:06am snipped-for-privacy@canada.com (jaime) applauds and calls out: <snip> Great story. <snip>
Thanks. Now go over and console Upscale.
And, you really need to learn to snip.
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:58:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Upscale??
You should never say that to me when your fly is down. :-D
Thu, Feb 3, 2005, 3:03pm snipped-for-privacy@canada.com (jaime) confusedly asks: Upscale??
Yep.
Then states her world view: You should never say that to me when your fly is down. :-D
Your mind is in the gutter.
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:11:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I know. Sad isn't it?
I really *need* to date more often.
I made a corner shelf today.
Anyone with half a brain wouldn't stop eating fast food, they'd learn the importance of moderation rather than overindulgence.
I wouldn't recommend this movie -- its all a gimmick.
Thu, Feb 3, 2005, 12:30pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com burbled: Anyone with half a brain wouldn't stop eating fast food, they'd learn the importance of moderation rather than overindulgence. I wouldn't recommend this movie -- its all a gimmick.
Trolls have queens?
Not being a troll, just making a point. Seriously, I think that a lot of people put entirely too much emphasis on this film. It is by no means a work of art, nor any sort of scientific musing.
Its incoherent, misleading and oftentimes just wrong.
I read that Spurlock pulled some of his obesity statistics from back issues of Men's Health. Come on now.
jaime wrote:

Dunno. I don't remember the particulars, but two different exercise nazi types did their own version. One of them was a female aerobics instructor. She ate salads, grilled chicken sandwiches and such like, and counted calories and nutritional considerations very studiously while on her McDonald's diet. I don't remember how much she lost or gained. The other one was a male fitness trainer I think. He ate some gawdawful amount of Big Macs and stuff, like 5,000 calories a day, and he lost, IIRC, 30 pounds on his McDonald's diet because he also put in some ridiculous number of hours at the gym burning off the calories he took in.
The problem is you have to either A) count calories and weigh nutritional considerations carefully, or B) exercise your ass off to eat at McDonald's every day without transmogrifying into a fatass like the guy in Super Size Me.
Now me, I'm definitely in the borderline fatass category, and I hate exercising just for the sake of exercising, so a McDonald's diet is not in my cards. I'm just saying there's more to the story than fast food is evil. I'd say more likely fast food is just food, if you avoid the double grease burger and triple helping of lard drippings on top (Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... lard drippings....), and the biggest culprit in our society is that life is just too damn easy.
We don't have to chase our food anymore, and we don't even hardly have to work for a living either. Lots of people sit around on their ass all day at work, then come home and sit around on their ass all day at home in front of the idiot light, or the computer. I know I definitely fit in this category. I drive all day, which means sitting, and I come home and sit in front of the computer. More exercise for my mind than the idiot light, but not a good cure for my assal fattalitis. (And yes, I've noticed that the difference between assal fattalitis and assal FATALitis is very small.)
Fortunately for me, I got my weight more or less back under control after my wife recovered from her surgical doings and started cooking again. She is a TERRIBLE cook. I can barely stand to eat her cooking, and I don't really need the calories anyway, so I'm back down to 195. 195 is still overweight, but if I can at least hold 195 I'll be happy. I was at 215 while I was doing the cooking. I'm a good cook, but I don't know how to cook anything that isn't fried or flame kist.
Although I did make an effort to feed my kids flame kist and fried vegetables, at least. Did you know you can deep fat fry carrots? (I'm kidding. I did make a real effort to feed them nutritionally balanced meals. As does my wife. The difference is my nutritionally balanced stuff is actually edible. :)
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 03:00:24 -0500, Silvan

If you do not remember, what was the *point* of telling me this. ;-p

Whatever you put in you need to take out.

Which much of the population does not do and which is why Canada and the States has the obesity problems they have now.

I agree.

Yes it is. Macines make things too easy for everyone. When was the last time *anyone* in this newsgroup made a peice of furniture *completely* by hand as the first settlers did.
************************************** I'm *not* a bad person. I simply made the mistake of getting involved with a *jack*ss*. Is it a coincidence that he lives on a farm? **************************************

FWIW our local VFW will loan vets wheelchairs, walkers, canes etc. You may qualify under Medicade, although I know you are still quite young, and the doc can prescribe the cane and you won't be out a cent.. Save that money for ww tools.
Larry