Musings of a Normie

Page 2 of 2
"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message ...

I know what you mean Chuck, but hey - ever slipped with a really sharp chisel? Never chop when holding something in your lap (WW Safety 101).
'course, pow-whirr tools raise the stakes dramatically.
--
Greg

Ewwww ... I don't like the sound of that.
The worst I've ever done was to take a divot out of my finger when using my Record 044 (cute little plough plane, Jeff). I inadvertantly shifted my grip when steadying the plane and the next thing I knew I had made solid contact with the exposed iron. (And the irons on those planes are *totally* exposed.)

As O'Deen says, even I am smart enough to figure out when I'm cutting myself with a chisel or saw and stop before I amputate a limb.
Chuck Vance

Our local PBS has them in the reverse order - Norm then Roy. But, that's neither here nor there.
I've got the tailed toys, too. But, also a pretty good set of the manual cutting tools as well. I've found that I enjoy the journey in woodworking as much and maybe more than arriving at the destination. Using hand tools gives me more time to enjoy that journey. Running a board through the planer a few times is too noisy, messy, and is over too soon. (No wise cracks!) There is something almost erotic in the sound, smell, and feel of shaping a piece of wood with a sharp hand tool, whether it be plane, chisel, saw, or whatever.
We all remain in this avocation because of the pleasure it gives us. It matters not whether you use electrically powered or muscle powered tools. All that matters is what you take with you when you leave the shop, It may be a completed project that will never be part of a museum's collection (or maybe it will), or it may simply be the pleasure of the process.
Nothing to be ashamed of. Tools is tools. Use whatever gives the results that pleases you most. Would you like to bet that the woodworker of yore would not have let his planes gather dust while he made heavy use of an electrically powered jointer and planer had they been available?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA