Musings of a Normie

Ewwww ... I don't like the sound of that.

The worst I've ever done was to take a divot out of my finger when using my Record 044 (cute little plough plane, Jeff). I inadvertantly shifted my grip when steadying the plane and the next thing I knew I had made solid contact with the exposed iron. (And the irons on those planes are *totally* exposed.)

As O'Deen says, even I am smart enough to figure out when I'm cutting myself with a chisel or saw and stop before I amputate a limb.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Bite me, Greg. :-)

I don't specifically have any experience with "palm" planes, but I have a few wooden smoothers and others. I usually just set the plane on a flat surface, and place the iron in so it sits straight, push the wedge in and give it a light tap to lock it. Then with my fingers underneath the mouth I lift the plane and feel for lateral adjustment (carefully) with the pads of my fingers. If it feels good I give the wedge a firmer tap and try it on a baord.

If not, I tap either side for lateral adjustment and/or tap the heel to retract the iron slightly or the iron to increase the cut. After any adjustments, I always fisnih with a couple of firm taps on the wedge.

(In practice, the adjustment takes less time than it does to write about it.)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

thanks Chuck. I'll give it a go using the same technique. There's a pic of the plane at ftp://woodworking.homeip.net/Planes/ tulipwood palm plane.jpg

The shoulder plane works like a dream.

Reply to
Greg Millen