Music Box Project Pictures

Everyone, I just finished a music box for a friend. Hope she likes it! (the link on the bottom)

made this project with NO plans. Just kinda winged it all the way through. I was going to make it completely out of Walnut, but I didn't have enough, and I'm really happy with the contrast between the Cherry and Walnut. I'm not yet a huge fan of complete projects with lots of Walnut, and have only used it for trim pieces to date.

I had to wait until the glass arrived before I could begin, since I didn't know how thick it was. Looks like around 3/16", with the bevel going down to less than 1/8". Worked out great, as the groove I made that it sits in is just the width of the table saw blade.

Also a great project to put my new miter saw to use. SOOOOO quick and accurate, and safe in cutting all the 45s.

I glued up each frame around each piece of glass first, then sanded each flush on a full sheet of paper held down on my table saw. I built a small jig to help hold one corner square. It was just two blocks of wood screwed to a piece of plywood at exactly 90 degrees. this also helped as a clamping surface.

The top was done first, as it dictated the size of the sides and front. The middle piece was the tough part, as it had to be sanded at an angle to fit the top and bottom rails. I couldn't build the frame first, then route the bevel on it, because the glass had to fit in there somehow.

I first glued the front to the side, let dry, and glued the other 3 corners at the same time. Perfectly square. Then I cut the bottom to size, glued it on, and decided on some molding for the bottom, then made up some feet. Finally, I put some walnut molding around the top to trim it off.

I have a terrific glass source for the beveled glass

The plain bevels were only around $1 a piece, and the sand blasted roses were $4 each. Looks like they have a lot of different arts and crafts type glass available.

Reply to
Larry Bud