music box

hi...

i was wondering if anyone knew where to get the little music mechanisms they put in jewelry boxes? are they available in common stores or will I have to have them specially ordered?

thank you

Reply to
Ah10201

what you are looking for is called a "musical movement". thats the technical name for what you are looking for. and from my experience, your best bet is to just start calling around. craft stores, hobby shops, some woodworking places, you never know who might have them in stock. if you just want to make one or two and just want 'nice music' (vs a particular song), check the thrift stores too for music boxes you can scavange. you might come up with a nice one that way for very cheap.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

There are a variety of sources depending on how many notes you want. They come in 18, 36, 72 note movements as well as some others (IIRC,

54 notes). The more notes, the more expensive.

Try

one I got from Rockler is very nice. It's made by Reuge, who seem to be top dog in quality movements.

If you're interested in Music Box ideas, I have some photos

Larry Bud

You will find them in craft stores, but do some searching around if you want the better quality ones that have better sound, more notes. I've seen places on the web that have large selections. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski