Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Had a client today that wants to put a Murphy Bed in her spare room. He wants shelves on both sides w/ 2 Sliding Shelves that hide the bed when its up. Just like this :

curious on how the center Shelves slide open. Anyone have any suggestions? I have to figure each shelf would weigh about 100-150 when loaded. Also it looks like it hangs from the top but not 100% sure.

Like I said - Im open to suggestions on some ideas on how to implement it.

Thanks

-Rob

You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m (remove the _ to get the address)

Reply to
Rob V

They look like hanging shelves to me. I'd probably try to get your client to go with the hardware of one of the more traditional Murhpy beds.

Upscale

I saw the HGTV show that the web page refers to and as I recall the center shelves glided on tracks on the floor and at the top. I think if I were doing it I would have the center shelves have doors. That way when they glide over they would neatly cover up the side shelves and give a more finished appearance.

SWMBO really liked the show so I may be trying it one of these days.

Ron T

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Tue, Feb 14, 2006, 10:21pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@here.com (Rob=A0V) doth ask: Like I said - Im open to suggestions on some ideas on how to implement it

I wouldn't care to have anything that heavy hanging. Besides, it's be hard to hide the mechanism I'd think. I'd say it rolls on wheels. I'd say use skateboard wheels. Of course, after time, you're gonna get wheel marks on the floor, but that's easily taken care of - use a little throw rug to hide 'em. Or, you could have the center split, so it opens like a double door. That'd take eaither some pretty hefty hinges, or use wheels again. Or, liskke Usacle says, usethe regular Murphy bed furniture - could it still be called a Murphy bed if you didn't?

JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?

Reply to
J T

The J T entity posted thusly:

I'm puzzled... wouldn't the unit on the referenced web page use regular murphy bed hardware, attached to the shelving unit?

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Yes I think it does, the sliding shelves are simply an extra mechanism over and above the Murphy bed hardware. However, for the purpose of replying to the OP's potential customer, I'd guess the sliding shelf setup as referenced is not as viable or as desirable as one would first think by looking at the pictures. It *does* look like a pretty setup though.

Reply to
Upscale

No - the sliding shelves is what she wants - but looking at the pic, they seem to hang down - not ride on the floor. Im curious on the hanging/sliding mechanism.

Basically the 2 center units open (slide left and right) to reveal the bed which then folds down.

Reply to
Rob V

They are hanging down, just like curtains. It was JT that suggested the use of skateboard wheels. It's the hanging down part that would make me anxious. Those shelves, even without much additional stuff put on them like books or curios, would weigh quite a bit. You'd need some pretty heavy duty slides in my opinion. I guess all you can do at this point is to contact the person running the referenced web page ask question about sourcing them out.

Reply to
Upscale

is the episode where they install that exact unit. There are pairs of aluminum I-track at the top; iit sounded like there was just a single track on the bottom. It is definitely supported high and low.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Excellent - exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks

Reply to
Rob V

Yea - I think im going to do that - looking at that HGTV link that mortimor posted - it looks like they are supported top and bottom.

I may have to give them a call and see how they do it.

Thanks for everyone help.

-R

Reply to
Rob V

Wed, Feb 15, 2006, 11:46am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.REMOVE (Mortimer=A0Schnerd,=A0RN) sayeth: There are pairs of aluminum I-track at the top; iit sounded like there was just a single track on the bottom. It is definitely supported high and low.

I wouldn't call it "supported" high, I wouldn't want much hanging from an aluminum tradk, I'd think it was more of a guide, but it makes sense.

JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?

Reply to
J T

You might be able to use pocket door hardware. This website has hardware that will hold up to 300 pounds per side

slide up to 48" per side.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Berning

The Rob V entity posted thusly:

You might want to try looking at a store that carries nuts/bolts, etc. in a sliding rack. In the city nearest me, Canadian Tire has several displays that have rear racks fixed and in front of that, sliding ones. Several of these have a LOT of screws, nuts, bolts, etc. One or more of the BORGs around here have similar displays. You might get some ides from them.

Reply to
Oleg Lego