Murphy bed hardware?

I've done a search for 'Murphy bed hardware' and come up with prices ranging from two hundred to over five hundred. This seems kind of high to me. The other problem is that they don't show a photo of the actual hardware. I hate to buy anything without having a 'feel' of it. If anyone has purchased hardware that they're happy with, I'd appreciate a heads up.
Thanks G
Check out the Lee Valley Hardware catalog ... their Murphy bed hardware is first rate and has a safety feature in that the bed won't unfold if the legs aren't extended. IIRC around $US 200 ... they also have plans.
I have yet to buy anything from Lee Valley that I wasn't totally satisfied with.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Gary wrote:

I think you'll find that there are two basic systems you can get. One is the original Murphy Bewd system http://www.murphybedcompany.com/ and the other is the Create-A-Bed http://www.wallbed.com /. The primary differences are the murphy b meched uses springs to counter balance and the mechanism is attached to the floor with the cabinetry built around it. I've seen these in both the original version were yoiu have doors on the cbinet that you open to lower the bed and panel bad version which requiers more depth but the bed is attacth to a panel which is lowered, more like the create-a-bed system but still attached to the floor. The Create-A-Bed uses gas struts for counter balance and is built into a cabinet which is then bolted to the wall, the Create-A-Bed is an integfral part of the cabinetry. I've seen and used both. For long term daily use I think the origianl Murphy bed is sturdier and gives more adjustment to compensate for mattress weight. the Create-A-Bed doesn't have to be attached to the floor and I"ve seen the gas struts wear out and their attachment screws pulled out of the cabinetry. The create-a-bed is cheaper but all you get is a box of parts you build everything, with the murphy bed the mechanisim and platform the mattress goes on comes with it
jw
Mr. G,
While I understand that your question was about the "economy" of various Murphy Bed Mechanisms, you might want to try to find a quality one used from someone who is moving such as I was fortunate to do many years ago. My Wall bed Office system uses the " Sico" brand of mechanism and it is first class. You can find a description of it in Jim Tolpins book "Built In Furniture" as he featured my Wall Bed Office system in the book in the bedroom chapter. Check it out at my site: http://www.woodworkinghobby.com/html/projects_5.html
Regards,
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker www.woodworkinghobby.com

ranging
hate
I just finished my Murphy Bed, just took pics this weekend of project. Got my hardware kit from Rockler. Everything worked great so far, just sort of waiting for the paint to dry before I drop the mattress in....
Rockler hardware kit (queen) was $230
Questions about install are welcome.
Gary wrote:

I have an unused Murphy Wall bed mechanism from http://www.wallbed.com / for a vertically mounted twin bed. It's in the box unused and included plans for 3/4 plywood or 3/4 mdf beds.
I didn't use it because we bought a ready made Murphy bed that coincidentally uses the identical mechanism. It works very well.
I will sell it for $139 plus actual shipping cost. New price is $279.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Rico