multiple projects

How many of you work on multiple projects at once?

I started cutting up some wood for something. I can't remember what it was. I had put it aside, all together, and today I am cleaning up the mess I have around here. And ran across the parts, just rough cut, nothing to final size, no real shapes yet. If I had a skirt or something, I could tell what it was.. but nothing.

The short term memory is killing me... I keep thinking I'll remember how could I forget...

obviously, I'm just going to leave it as sometime I'll go oh yea, but has that ever happened to you, where you can't remember what you were working on?

Reply to
woodchucker

I don't know, but I'm not sure

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Haven't had that one yet. I may have multiple projects in the design/proposal stage, but once a proposal is accepted/fabrication begins I have a hard and fast rule that the current project is finished before a new one is started.

Reply to
Swingman

I found a couple of blanks marked, punched and ready for the lathe, but can't seem to remember what they were going to be :-(

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

------------------------------------------------------ What you're saying is that nobody has yet offered enough $ for you to break that rule, yet.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A few days ago my wife showed me something and said, "Thank you for making this for me.". The item did not even look familiar to me, but obviously I had made it some time ago. Not a bit of memory relating to the making of it/

Reply to
Gerald Ross

RE: Subject

Working with epoxy, as you are when building a boat, if you don't have at least 4-5 projrcts being worked on at the same time, you will NEVER get done.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Explain how the skirt works for you... when skirts are in my shop things get all fouled up.... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

:-)

I meant the skirt on a cabinet. The base.

Reply to
woodchucker

I forgot to remember..... john

How many of you work on multiple projects at once?

I started cutting up some wood for something. I can't remember what it was. I had put it aside, all together, and today I am cleaning up the mess I have around here. And ran across the parts, just rough cut, nothing to final size, no real shapes yet. If I had a skirt or something, I could tell what it was.. but nothing.

The short term memory is killing me... I keep thinking I'll remember how could I forget...

obviously, I'm just going to leave it as sometime I'll go oh yea, but has that ever happened to you, where you can't remember what you were working on?

Reply to
jloomis

Here's the good new: Someday you'll remember exactly what those parts are for.

Here's the bad news: No way in the world will you remember where you put them.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

YEP too many birthdays cause that. WW

How many of you work on multiple projects at once?

I started cutting up some wood for something. I can't remember what it was. I had put it aside, all together, and today I am cleaning up the mess I have around here. And ran across the parts, just rough cut, nothing to final size, no real shapes yet. If I had a skirt or something, I could tell what it was.. but nothing.

The short term memory is killing me... I keep thinking I'll remember how could I forget...

obviously, I'm just going to leave it as sometime I'll go oh yea, but has that ever happened to you, where you can't remember what you were working on?

Reply to
WW

Must be nice!

The line of work I am mostly in often requires jumping into something else and I have to prioritize. It's often difficult to even find an end point. I have 4 running and hope to finish one to billable today.

It's been a number of years since I made any real money with wood, back then it was custom speaker boxes. I made a lot of them and it sure was nice to be able to start something and have a real idea of the finish.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

woodchucker wrote in news:B9ydnf_PKctOe7DOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

I try not to get multiple projects of the same type going. One will inevitably get worked on, while the others sit. Sometimes it's nice to have a model railroad project and woodworking project going at the same time, so I can work on the other while waiting for something to dry.

If the next step isn't necessarily obvious (are the pieces finish width or just rough cut?), I'll write the next step down on my shop notebook. Sometimes I'm back out there after watching a TV show, and other times it's two or three days.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

For paying customers (upholstery hobby), I work on one project at a time.

Most of my other projects are mine or are hobby related, for others, and t here are many in progress. They get done, when they get done. A pretty gi rl's project may get priority, for finishing sooner, than later. If she br ings banana pudding or boudin, I'll ask if there anything else she wants do ne.

When the kids show interest in something (few hours or a one-day project), I'll zero in on teaching them, getting them involved. If WE don't finish a project, I'll finish it and mail or bring it to them, later.... as present ly with an "S" design something (cartoon character something) that a 3rd gr ader wanted to make. We didn't finish it, when he was visiting, so I'll ma il it to him, along with a wooden cross (prie dieu application prototype) h e found on a work table and liked. *He once told me he wants my bottle col lection (which includes lamps and pottery, also), when I die. He's likely to get it, too, since no one else has ever commented on, or showed interest in, those items, as he repeatedly does. His particular interest seems be yond his 3rd grade level.

In my case, some projects lead to others, so there's always something, mult iple items, in the works.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny