Multi-router vs Woodrat

All,
I have been doing a bit of research on both the JSD Multi-router and the Woodrat. SHMBO said that I can get one of them.
Other than price, do you guys know the difference between the two??
Thanks in advance,
Grampa Simpson
Grandpa, You might consider firing off an e-mail to both companies and ask why their brand is better than the competition.

Biggest thing I can see is that the Multi-router is an actual woodworking machine whereas the Woodrat although very capable is in fact a glorified jig. That's not trying to put it down or say it doesn't work because it most certainly does a fine job. That also goes a long way toward the price difference in the two I guess.
Jim

most
I was under the impression that you mount your own router on to the Multirouter.
Man I sure as hell hope not. For what they cost you should get a woodworker that comes with it to run it for you!
Jim

OK, I'll weigh in on the debate and throw in my two pennies. I was considering buying either the WoodRat or the Leigh FMT jig. Money was an issue, although not the final factor. After MUCH debate between my ears and weighing out all possible factors and options, I went with the Woodrat and couldn't be more happy. The jig does it all for almost $300 less than the FMT. After thinking of all the other things that I can, (and have), done just since Christmas with the Rat, the other jigs just don't compare. It can mortise and tenon, finger joint, dovetail, rebbate, slide dovetail, angle everything, etc... Buy what you will, but at least contact the company and have them send you a FREE DVD to see Martin Godfrey, (the inventor), really put it through it's paces. And no I don't work for them, I work for a beer distributor which has it's own benefits that I don't need to get into here...

the
The Multi Router is a very versatile, heavy weight quality tool. The Woodrat, (I have never used one.) looks much lighter weight and more than half the money. Given the choice, Multi Router wins hands down.
Dave

"grampa:
I've used the Multi-Router in a classroom environment as well as a tool for a project I've been working on.
I've never used the WoodRat.
My take on the Multi-Router is that it is one great piece of gear that is best suited for a semi-pro or small pro shop. Someone having to rout many tenons and mortises. It would be a timesaver. It is way more expensive then the WoodRat. From the literature I got on the WoodRat, I see it more as the "serious hobbist" tool. Versitile to do a number of tasks but at a price point that doesn't break the bank.
The MR is a bit tricky to set up, but boy once you do, you can route similiar pieces all day long. Which is what we did in class. It is deadly accurate.
My take - if money is seriously no object - the Multi-Router but if you're like me and want to stretch the pennies - look at the WoodRat. It gets good reviews.
MJ Wallace