Multi-position Guide Stop for the Domino

There's a Multi-position Guide Stop that's been engineered for the Domino. No, it's not made by Festool, but it appears to be a well made solid accessory for the Domino.

Upscale

anyone other than the Festool's development team. From that site:

"The MGS-20 was designed and developed by Rick Christopherson (that's me). I own two small businesses, RTS Engineering and Waterfront Woods, but you probably know me best as the author of the Supplemental Owner's Manuals that I write for Festool USA, including the manual for the Domino DF500 Tenon Joiner.

I have been working with the Domino for over 4 years, which is several years before it was released to the public. In addition to my work as a Technical Writer of product manuals, I have also been a professional Cabinetmaker, Design Engineer and Consultant, and a Magazine Editor specializing in woodworking tools."

RicodJour

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 06:11:09 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

His experience with the Domino might be another reason to buy his multi-position guide stop. In the Festool Owners Group, there's also several comments on his guide stop ~ all of them favourable.

In any event, I've ordered one for myself. It certainly sounds like a practical accessory.

Reply to
Upscale

You're a busy guy - if you want me to test it out for you for a couple months or years, just send it right over. ;) Please post your review when you've had a chance to check it out.

RicodJour

the need.

I wonder what other application it may be of benefit.

Personally I very often use pencil marks for alignment. Unlike a plate joiner the plunge of the mortise bit does not make the Domino joiner jump so guide pins are not necessary for any thing but quick alignment. Visual pencil marks are pretty quick if not quicker. Additionally I don't often see need for the mortises to be an exact width fit. Using the wider cutting setting gives you a bit of wiggle room during assembly.

One other thing I immediately noticed is that with the multi position guide stop in place you can not mount the bottom support attachment that comes with the Domino. That attachment is a lot of help when it comes to cutting a mortise on the side of a board and you are resting the fence on the end or edge of the board. You can easily tilt the Domino and the mortise hole may not end up square to the surface unless you pay particular attention during the cut. I noticed in the video that he spent a bit more time to insure his set up in this case.

I am not knocking the accessory as it would probably be an asset in a production setting.

Reply to
Leon