Multi-joint

yes, pretty cool. But it would be easy to screw up your assembly and glue it the wrong way :-(

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:ZtednZ_GHcMV6F snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Why would you glue a joint like that?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

With all those glue surfaces it should be extremely strong.

Reply to
Leon

It would be nice to have a cut sequence. Is it computer cut only or how the joints are made.

Mart> >> woodchucker wrote in

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

If the glue is stronger than the wood, more surface area doesn't help. I wouldn't think it would take anything near that much surface area for the above to be true.

Reply to
krw

Certainly it helps, it keeps the joint from sliding apart. Jeez!

Reply to
Leon

And just to add to that. The less glue on the surface, the more the area that does have glue has to support the rest of the joint. Read that as a small portion of the wood surface at the glue can break and the joint becomes loose. More glue surface and you have more more wood working at the joint.

Which brings up the question, if you are gluing a panel edge to another panel face do you use a drop of glue or the entire mating surface?

Reply to
Leon

I see your point but you've hogged out half of the wood, too. The "neck" (for lack of a better word) may not be as strong as another type of joint.

Reply to
krw

That is entirely possible but the beauty to the joint is that it can be cut the same way and used in multiple directions/orientations. Probably totally way too much trouble but interesting.

Reply to
Leon

Not after the glue dries! ;-)

Sure. I'd like to see what it took to make.

Reply to
krw

How is it cut?

All I can find is

Claims cut with saw and plane, shows how the cuts are marked out.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Reply to
Gramps' shop

it is a beautiful joint done by a japanese artisan

if you have the chance check out a show called artisan x designer pronounced artisan times designer

they share a significant amount of detail about their craft

Reply to
Electric Comet