Multi-head drill spindle

I can see that Grizzly has multi-head (2 or 3) drill spindle heads for their boring machines http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5952. Has anyone ever tried cluge-ing one of these onto a drill press. I know the guys at Multidrill\Autodrill http://www.multi-drill.com/ can sell me the whole setup but they want 3x as much as Grizzly, just for the drill head.

Keep in mind that those are woodworking rated heads with special woodworking spindles. You can't use standard off-the-shelf tooling with those. Only the threaded shank tooling that's out there that I know of. Maybe someone makes an adapter... Of course, I'm not a woodworker by trade so maybe that's not even an issue. However, Grizzly gets almost $20 per "bit" when you look at the threaded stuff but I'm sure there are alternatives. I can buy a $2 drill bit and do the same thing. If the tooling lasts forever, that's no problem, but if you break it or dull it or...
The price difference really comes from the fact that AutoDrill's products are rated for 24/7 use in metal applications that are a bit more demanding. Think GM / Toyota / the local fab. shop making a gazillion whatevers. Their head of the same size can drill 3/8" holes through a 2.5" stainless steel plate all day long and they have adjustables that can do 5/8" holes through 4.5" all day long as well. They sell custom heads up to 50" long and for 3/4" or larger holes too. I personally wouldn't dream of doing any of that with Grizzly's offerings... AutoDrill can also get as close as 0.532" C-C on hole spacing if you need it. Plus, they include every last thing you need except the drill "bits" when you order from them. Twenty minutes after the head is delivered, you are drilling holes. Not sure what you would have to build to make Grizzly's heads work on a drill press, but it's got to be more complicated than that.
One final thing - The guys at AutoDrill stock all spare parts and rebuild heads in house right in NJ. ...Even for the custom heads in many cases.
Not knocking your idea, just pointing out the differences. :)
Those guys at AutoDrill know their stuff when it comes to situations where you need quality products and they provide the best customer service on the planet - even scanning newsgroups for relevant information. <grin>
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
V8013-R
Thanks for the input. I think the Autodrill guys really are the standard from what I can tell. Good points about the cost of tooling. yes there are alternatives for threaded drills, adapters, etc. but all pretty expensive.
I am just doing wood and very short run compared to a commercial operation like auto manufacturing. Actually, my biggest concern is just matching holes. I am producing parts that have a two hole pattern. There are several pairs of these holes on various parts that all assemble into a final product. I have to hold pretty tight tolerances on the various hole patterns between parts so the will assemble easily. Currently I make drilling fixtures. Because the parts are different shapes I make a different fixture for each part. I can hold pretty tight tolerances but I use drill guides and it is a pain and slow to keep clamping in the piece to the fixture, stabbing the drill into the guide, and then slide over to the next guide. Where that pattern ends up on the piece is not so important as it is that the spread is consistent so the parts match. So a doubel head drill and a simple stop setop on the drill press would be much faster per part. It might take a year to recoup the $500 bucks for a double head because I am still just selling this stuff on the side so the $1,500 is out of reach for right now.

Not to break up the love fest, but Joe AutoDrill IS the AutoDrill guy, so why are the two of you talking about "the AutoDrill guys" in the third person? Some might think you're setting up a spam feed-in question. 'Course I know better...

I did it as a tongue-in-cheek reply with real content... I'm guessing SonomaProducts simply didn't read my signature to know I was being creative in my reply. Seeing as I skip the sig files all the time, no fault there!
You are right though... Looks like a set-up for sure. I promise it's not.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
V8013-R
I am a bit guilty also. I did see the signature but wasn't quite sure do to the "third person" nature of the post. However, I also had a self serving reaso. I had just asked Autodrill for pricing yesterday or day before. Then I saw his possible response here and I was afraid he would take it that I was complaining about his prices in a public forum, which was not at all what I was doing. So I was a bit embarrased and shared some love to make sure any reader knew I thooght he had good stuff, which it looks like he does and surely well worth the price (more love).

I am a bit guilty also. I did see the signature but wasn't quite sure do to the "third person" nature of the post. However, I also had a self serving reaso. I had just asked Autodrill for pricing yesterday or day before. Then I saw his possible response here and I was afraid he would take it that I was complaining about his prices in a public forum, which was not at all what I was doing. So I was a bit embarrased and shared some love to make sure any reader knew I thooght he had good stuff, which it looks like he does and surely well worth the price (more love).
No worries! Not easily offended here and I'd think less of anyone who didn't shop around for the best product.
You did good.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

.

Nice set-up in the photo BTW.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
On May 6, 1:17pm, snipped-for-privacy@patwarner.com wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote
I heard on NPR that recent studies show that part of men's brains that light up when thinking about sex are the exact same part that lights when thinking about tools. That picture proves the point for me. ====================================== That would certainly explain the Lee Valley catalog!!
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

My photos aren't as pretty as Pat's, but you might still find the next-to-last photo at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot /
of some interest. On that machine the spindle can be set anywhere from vertical to horizontal.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
============================Not exactly sure what I am looking at but I want one. Would the concept be to clamp down the piece and slide the fixture using some precise index method for the offsets? I'll have to think about that. =============================== Ah, the old tooling debate.
The factor having the biggest impact and about which no info has been provided is quantity or production run.
How many pieces are made on one run?
One of my early employers was a screw machine house.
They didn't tool up a multi spindle Acme for small jobs, say a thousand pieces, that a turret lathe could do at lower cost.
Lew
Right now just 10-20 of each part per run. That's 4 setups for two sets of matching parts. I only do it every few months right now but I am considering trying to ramp it up.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
===================================Right now just 10-20 of each part per run. That's 4 setups for two sets of matching parts. I only do it every few months right now but I am considering trying to ramp it up. ================================ Based on the above, IMHO, it's Morris' CNC approach to lose.
Those CNC files are just another step down the digital path.
Have fun.
Lew
Spacer against fence for the change there and a spacer against an end stop there. Will manage the distance between holes and distance to edge of stock. Spacers must be accurate, fence straight and the work edge an ends must be square. This setup is trivial but dependent on the flatness and dimensionality of everything. Moreover, if the jigging is sophisticated it still has to be (square etc.). *********************************

om...
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Have you thought about building a CNC drill to do this job? A simple one would only drill one hole at a time, but the hole pattern would be consistant and accurate...
...and the number of holes and their spacing would be limited only by the size of the machine's range of motion.
The total materials/parts cost could probably be between the prices of the Grizz and Autodrill two-bit head.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar