Mulberry wood

Has anyone ever heard of using a mulberry tree for lumber?

I have an old tree that has stopped producing and seems to be dying.

Tree would make a 2 to 3 foot across and maybe 20 foot long log.

Reply to
Lee

The wood is ugly (IMO) and similar to Osage Orange (a close relative). The little I've worked with is hard and could be used for tool handles. I tossed it.

Jess.S

Reply to
Jesse R Strawbridge

Osage Orange is gorgeous! It is just too expensive to use. Maybe it is a matter of taste. (Haven't seen mulberry)

Reply to
Toller

After googling it, I see there are several types of mulberry. The one (red mulberry) that grows on my property has a very white sapwood with an ugly green heartwood. Apparently some kinds are used for wood working. Note: the references I found list Osage orange as a species of mulberry.

Jess.S

Reply to
Jesse R Strawbridge

I have a White Mulberry that has a beautiful yellow wood. Very similar to Osage Orange. Keep it.

Reply to
Leon

The White Bulberry has a deep and bright yellow color. I am in the process of taking one down in my back yard and have make a small box with the Mulberry inlayed into Walnut. They look great together.

Reply to
Leon

Thu, Oct 12, 2006, 12:32am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net (Jesse=A0R=A0Strawbridge) doth mumbleth: The one (red mulberry) that grows on my property has a very white sapwood with an ugly green heartwood.

So? Paint it. Or make something really ugly out of it and sell it so some idiot for big bucks. I see stuff like that listed for large prices every day.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

that there are two types of mulberry...white & red. Link is for red.

Reply to
dadiOH

The stuff I turned last year was white with yellow/gold heartwood... Very pretty wood... Mac

mac davis

Don't know much about the lunber. Can be made into beautiful furniture though. Bends easily with heat or steam. Excellent wood for people making traditional self bows. Cut it down, split it into staves about

6' long and 2-3 inches wide. Will buy some myself if the dark growth rings are 1/16 wide or greater. These staves sell well on ebay. Jim
Reply to
james100

RE: Subject

Don't know about the wood, but silk worms like the leaves.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Three species, white, red, and black, plus they hybridize so a particular tree may not be one of those.

I haven't made anything from the wood yet, but I have milled some small pieces and set them aside. I like the look of it. Some pieces had a bit of chatoyance to them.

Reply to
fredfighter