Mulberry wood

Has anyone ever heard of using a mulberry tree for lumber?
I have an old tree that has stopped producing and seems to be dying.
Tree would make a 2 to 3 foot across and maybe 20 foot long log.
Lee wrote:

The wood is ugly (IMO) and similar to Osage Orange (a close relative). The little I've worked with is hard and could be used for tool handles. I tossed it.
Jess.S

Osage Orange is gorgeous! It is just too expensive to use. Maybe it is a matter of taste. (Haven't seen mulberry)
Toller wrote:

After googling it, I see there are several types of mulberry. The one (red mulberry) that grows on my property has a very white sapwood with an ugly green heartwood. Apparently some kinds are used for wood working. Note: the references I found list Osage orange as a species of mulberry.
Jess.S

The White Bulberry has a deep and bright yellow color. I am in the process of taking one down in my back yard and have make a small box with the Mulberry inlayed into Walnut. They look great together.
Thu, Oct 12, 2006, 12:32am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net (JesseRStrawbridge) doth mumbleth: <snip> The one (red mulberry) that grows on my property has a very white sapwood with an ugly green heartwood. <snip>
So? Paint it. Or make something really ugly out of it and sell it so some idiot for big bucks. I see stuff like that listed for large prices every day.
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 00:32:13 GMT, Jesse R Strawbridge

The stuff I turned last year was white with yellow/gold heartwood... Very pretty wood... Mac

I have a White Mulberry that has a beautiful yellow wood. Very similar to Osage Orange. Keep it.
Lee wrote:

http://www.hattonbrown.com/vserver/hb/display.cfm?MagazineKey=3&IssueK ey48&SectionKey55&ArticleKey08
Note that there are two types of mulberry...white & red. Link is for red.
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

Three species, white, red, and black, plus they hybridize so a particular tree may not be one of those.
I haven't made anything from the wood yet, but I have milled some small pieces and set them aside. I like the look of it. Some pieces had a bit of chatoyance to them.
Don't know much about the lunber. Can be made into beautiful furniture though. Bends easily with heat or steam. Excellent wood for people making traditional self bows. Cut it down, split it into staves about 6' long and 2-3 inches wide. Will buy some myself if the dark growth rings are 1/16 wide or greater. These staves sell well on ebay. Jim
RE: Subject
Don't know about the wood, but silk worms like the leaves.
Lew