Msg from Harbor Freight

Page 2 of 3

Bruce wrote:

that is really slow.
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

What I heard they do to save shipping cost, is accumulate a trailer load of shipments to, say, the mid-atlantic region, then send the trailer to some warehouse operation in that area, where the individual orders are mailed/UPSed or whatever to their final destinations. That way they get a good rate for the cross-country part of the shipping charges
They will ship by a faster method if you wish to pay for it.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

HF has a depot on the east coast(NC??). If your stuff is shipped from there, it will arrive sooner. I have had orders from them arrive in NJ as soon as 4 days and as late as 17 days. The early arrivals were all from the east coast location.
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

I wish someday someone would invent a way to ship packages via e-mail :-) Joe
--
A hobbyist / carpenter with an emphasis on small projects.

"Hoyt Weathers" < snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

Not too many years ago, some quack selling 'homeopathic' medicines _did_ that.
He'd sell this 'cable' that you plugged into the serial port (I think it was) of the computer, and wrapped the other end around a bottle of plain water, and downloaded the file. Voila! magic medicine.
The 'deceptive trade' people couldn't touch him on it -- analytical labs showed the the 'electronically delivered' medicine was _exactly_ the same as what was being sold in the traditional packaging.
He did go down on some other charges, eventually.

They never stated the SOONEST you'll get it. They simply stated the LONGEST time it will take to arrive.
Build somethin' while yer waitin'. The time will pass quickly.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
This thread is getting ridiculous . . .
If you want something NOW go to a local shop, forget about YOUR time & transport, pay maybe 4 times as much for the same item, plus local taxes.
If you want to be 'economical' {or CHEAP, like I am !!}think ahead & do some research. We get the HF 'catalogs' about every week - at least it seems like it. I'll browse them all. Most get thrown away, but I pay special attention to the ones with '50% Off Specials', Free Shipping, and '$5.oo Off with order' covers. Those usually get 'marked' and put aside.
About once every 3 months or so, I make up an order of the $2, $5, & $10 items that totals the amount for 'Free Shipping'. The $5.oo 'coupon' covers most of the $5.95 Handling charge {used to be $3.50 - and just who do you think picks & packs the order, and processes the paperwork ? Brownies - who live under the stairs and work for a saucer of milk ?}.
I REFUSE all their offers of faster {read 'More Expensive'} shipping and only want their 'standard' 7 to 14 business day service. {which I know is for 'contingencies'. The same way that the $40 'rebate' for the office chair I'm sitting in said ". . . allow 6-8 weeks for processing". If they didn't, some one with a lot of time on their hands would be on the phone in 48-hours threatening to sue because they didn't receive their money}.
I have ordered from Harbor Freight for years. It is mostly cheap stuff from China and India, I know what to expect, and it ISN'T 'high precision'. But if I need something to last for only one or two uses, or as a 'template' for me to build a better model . . . that's fine. It's also just fine for me to buy 36 throw-away 'acid brushes' at $2.49, or 2 large squeegees at $2.99, latex gloves at $2.99/100 {which I get 6 boxes at a time}. I' ll continue to grab their 'loss leaders' {like 7 inch wooden clamps from China for $2.99 each . . . look the same as Jorgensen/Pony to me . . .}and be just as satisfied as you, 'rich guys'.
The wood I work with and boats I build doesn't seem to know the difference.
Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {Care to see the Mahogany plaque I made for the Red Dragon, or the Memorial Flag Case I gave Joanne ??}
"Hoyt Weathers" wrote . . . SNIP it was my first and last order to them. . . .
Ron Magen notes:

Try some nitrile gloves, Ron. Much sturdier, resist more solvents more strongly, not measurably more costly because of that, and don't set of latex allergies.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I second that. Just was cleaning up something with lacquer thinner, and wished for latex, since the nitrile pretty much dissolved, but otherwise, they seem much tougher, without being thicker or losing any more "touch".
--
Alex
On 02 Jun 2004 15:03:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Something I found out during last winter was that nitrile gloves under my work gloves kept my otherwise wet hands from getting cold when I was working outside. I now use them to wash things in really cold or hot water. They work well as insulators, about 20 times better than latex. I bought an $11.99 box of 100 about 3 years ago and have half of them left. They're strong enough to be extensively reusable by adding a bit more powder to them.
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------

I'm gonna have to try this, since my hands get cold very easily. But I don't understand how it could possibly work: your hands still sweat, and the sweat just pools in latex or nitrile gloves, so wouldn't that pooled sweat just make your hands colder?
If it does happen to work for me, I'll sing your praises for a long time, then bitch and moan until someone makes nitrile socks too.
H.
On 3 Jun 2004 06:13:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sewanee.edu (Hylourgos) stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Y'know, I don't recall my hands sweating in them last winter. Hmmm. Yeah, just give it a try next season.

<g>
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Hylourgos wrote:

Perspiration cools by evaporation. If there's an impervious barrier between it and the air then it doesn't evaporate and thus doesn't cool.

--
--John
Larry & Charlie, Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Hi Ron,
If you're into recycling, here's a way to re-use latex/nitrile gloves. When you take them off, pull them inside-out to dry. After dry, dust w/ baby powder, then use compressed air to invert them outside-out very easily.
H.
(Charlie Self)

wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Jewelcome.
Turn them inside out when you remove them, then flip 'em back and put a bit of baby powder back in them before reusing. Na worrie, mate.

I have boxes of each of those, too, and each one has its advantage in certain uses. It's sure cheaper to buy them by the sh*tload!
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:19:00 -0700, Larry Jaques

I keep a bottle of "Shower to Shower" powder next to the gloves. I put a little on my hands prior to putting the gloves on -- it makes it much easier to remove them. I don't even have to turn them inside out that way, just have to be a little careful taking them off.

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 05:14:15 GMT, Mark & Juanita

I learned to pull them down a bit (maybe 1/3 of the way over my palm) and blow the glove off my fingers. The body then pulls off quite easily.
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 07:37:22 -0700, Larry Jaques

Neat idea Larry, I'll have to try that next time.
On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 05:05:47 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Just remember to blow/brush the powder off your mustache afterwards. DAMHIKT
---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment http://www.diversify.com Website Applications =================================================