Msg from Harbor Freight

Wrongo!

from UPS.com

"UPS guarantees the day of delivery for every ground package you ship to any address within the 48 contiguous states, except for any ground package originating in Alaska or Hawaii. See the UPS Rate and Service Guide for details."

Reply to
Bruce

What is ridiculous is 14 business days for shipping when it is VERY economical to ship UPS which is guaranteed in 5 business days or USPS Priority Mail which is equally economical and is guaranteed 3 business days.

Reply to
Bruce

That applies in the 48 contiguous. I would have thought that would be obvious and expected to someone living outside of them.

Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
Marty

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:45:46 GMT, "^Halibut^" stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Bicoastal deliveries via UPS for me take 7-8 days, inclusive.

I ordered some tennies from Zappos.com on Sunday (Memorial Day weekend, no less) and they arrived today (Wednesday) via Fedex

2-Day. Shipping was free and they upgraded it to boot.

For speed, go with Fedex or USPSPM.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 02 Jun 2004 15:03:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Something I found out during last winter was that nitrile gloves under my work gloves kept my otherwise wet hands from getting cold when I was working outside. I now use them to wash things in really cold or hot water. They work well as insulators, about 20 times better than latex. I bought an $11.99 box of 100 about 3 years ago and have half of them left. They're strong enough to be extensively reusable by adding a bit more powder to them.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Last time I checked Kentucky was still considered the lower 48 and all = the packages I shipped originated here in Kentucky still a part of the = lower 48. Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

If it's so economical, why do most other vendors charge so much more for shipping than HF does?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I'm gonna have to try this, since my hands get cold very easily. But I don't understand how it could possibly work: your hands still sweat, and the sweat just pools in latex or nitrile gloves, so wouldn't that pooled sweat just make your hands colder?

If it does happen to work for me, I'll sing your praises for a long time, then bitch and moan until someone makes nitrile socks too.

H.

Reply to
Hylourgos

Hoyt Weathers wrote: : The following msg came in today in reply to my inquiry of May 28th:

: "Your order shipped on 5/25/04. Please allow 14 business days for delivery."

: I realize it is a long way from HF in California to Alabama, but I wonder by which : method my order will come. A slow pony express? Perhaps by mule train. Oh well, it : was my first and last order to them. I just hope it arrives unbroken.

: Hoyt W.

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you go to one of their retail stores?

Reply to
kmy

Larry & Charlie, Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I don't have any allergies, and typically 'sweat out' the gloves rather than wear them out.

One of the reasons for getting 6 boxes at a time is Joanne. She has some kind of allergy. The skin on her hands starts to crack and get tender from touching paper, especially newsprint. {maybe from so many years as a chemist? Or handling files in the GI Department?}. Anyway, what seems to help is 'isolation' . . . so depending what she is doing, she may wear Latex gloves, poly gloves, or Nitrile gloves.

Regards & Thanks, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

SNIP

SNIP

Reply to
Ron Magen

Doesn't UPS have a 70 or 75 pound weight limit?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hi Ron,

If you're into recycling, here's a way to re-use latex/nitrile gloves. When you take them off, pull them inside-out to dry. After dry, dust w/ baby powder, then use compressed air to invert them outside-out very easily.

H.

Reply to
Hylourgos

Because it is usually "Shipping and Handling". Some people are very proud of their handling. Some vendors also charge customers the full listed UPS rate even though they get a substantial discount.

If the shipper does not give you a tracking number (which shows exactly when UPS picked up the package), you can bet they are holding it to fill out a load and get a cheaper bulk shipping rate. When you do get the tracking number from a vendor, the UPS website tells you when you can expect to receive it, and it is very accurate. Coast to Coast in the contiguous 48 should never take 14 days; it will be closer to 6. Again, you can check time-in-transit information for any two points from their website.

I have not had very good luck with the USPS.

Kirk

Reply to
KirkH

Well, I have no idea what you're saying then. Why don't you post some tracking numbers that confirm these long shipments by UPS?

Reply to
Bruce

My experience is that they don't. I just paid $12 for my recent HF order that was shipped UPS ground. The box weighed 11 lbs. I'd call that about normal.

Reply to
Bruce

On 3 Jun 2004 06:13:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sewanee.edu (Hylourgos) stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Y'know, I don't recall my hands sweating in them last winter. Hmmm. Yeah, just give it a try next season.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:35:24 GMT, "Ron Magen" stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Jewelcome.

Turn them inside out when you remove them, then flip 'em back and put a bit of baby powder back in them before reusing. Na worrie, mate.

I have boxes of each of those, too, and each one has its advantage in certain uses. It's sure cheaper to buy them by the sh*tload!

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I keep a bottle of "Shower to Shower" powder next to the gloves. I put a little on my hands prior to putting the gloves on -- it makes it much easier to remove them. I don't even have to turn them inside out that way, just have to be a little careful taking them off.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

We live in Pennsylvania. I found ordering on line is faster than mailing or phoning the order in, most times it came either USPS or UPS. I had one larger order come both ways - shipped the same day. Several smaller items were in a box, shipped USPS and larger package with a gasoline powered pump was shipped UPS. The box of smaller items shipped USPS arrived several days before the pump shipped UPS, I would complain to my wife during those few days - I wrongly assumed the USPS probably lost/broke the pump and then it arrived UPS - what a shocker.

The pump did have some minor damage, I had to buy a new drain plug for it, the original was plastic and got broken during shipment, replaced it with a brass plug for a few dollars. Considering the same American made Pacer gasoline powered pump sold for about $230.00 (plus shipping) in the Northern Tools catalog , $208-220 at the local supply stores and I got it for less then $180.00 with free shipping via the HF online catalog, paying a few dollars for a new plug did not bother me at all. It has been a while; I don't remember the exact prices, but do know I saved a lot getting it at Harbor Freight on line. However, not everything at Harbor Freight is cheaper. My most recent purchase, a DeWalt 12 " sliding compound miter saw was the same price at Harbor Freight as Woodcraft which was closer, so I bought it at Woodcraft - I prefer to buy from local merchants if prices are close to the same.

I also had the HF floor model radial arm drill press shipped UPS from New Jersey, rather than California, it arrived ok, the box would not have made it much further but everything inside was ok. I never had anything smaller come damaged, most times the boxes look great, those shipped by USPS and UPS. I don't order too often these days, we now have a store close by.

joe

Reply to
JEL