Mr. Heater "Buddy" kaput?

I bought one of those Mr. Heater some flavor of "Buddy" or other heaters for my shop. It can run on a standard propane cylinder, or you can hose it up to a grill tank, or even a bigger tank. It puts out up to 9,000 BTUs, which seemed like plenty for a 120 sq. ft. shop.

Anyway, it doesn't work anymore, after stewing all summer. The tank sloshes, and feels pretty heavy still. I didn't run it that much last winter.

The pilot is pretty weak. It comes on if I put it on high, but it whumps for a few moments before it finally catches, and then it runs for about a minute or two before shutting off.

I think it's not triggering the oxygen depletion dooflatchie. My indoor propane stuff has a little pointy metal thing, and the tip glows red when the pilot is on. The pointy metal thing on this heater isn't glowing red, and it doesn't look like the flame is ever touching it.

What could it be? Spider webs in the works somehow or something? How can I fix it?

Is there any chance that it's just not enough gas in the tank to have enough pressure to run it properly? I hate to trade away the tank if it isn't empty. I probably can't just get it filled up because I went in for a Blue Rhino tank, and I don't guess I actually own it, even though I paid for it. (I bought this thing late on a Sunday evening one cold winter day last year, and it was the only way I could get go juice.)

Hafta admit I'm kinda clueless here. My propane stuff in the house has worked forever without forcing me to learn anything about it. :)

It's supposed to be cold as balls tomorrow, and I have some shop-ping to do. It would be nice to get this running.

Reply to
Silvan

If the tank sloshes, you have liquid in the tank which means you have sufficient tank pressure. The weak pilot flame means the gas flow rate is too low - at least to the pilot. Look for an obstruction in the gas path or a bad pressure regulator. Something is blocking/interfering with the gas flow.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

regulator. Something is blocking/interfering with the gas flow.

Spiders like to take up residence in those gas lines.......

Reply to
Rumpty

Also, the "pointy thing that glows red" is more likely a thermocouple. This must be in the lit pilot for a little while to allow the main burner to kick on and stay on. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Reply to
Eddie Munster

That's what I'm thinking too. I did throw a bug bomb out there this summer because I had 357 trillion brown recluses, or something that looked too much like brown recluses for me to take chances.

It's doubtful they could have gotten past the needle valve or whatever actual mechanism cuts off the gas flow on the supply side of the knob, so I don't much expect the webs could be inside the supply hose. That means the stuff I need to get rid of must be between the nozzle proper and the demand side of that valve. I would imagine there must be some tiny little pinhole somewhere on the business end of it. I'm not sure how a spider could get in there, but I'm even less certain what I can do about it.

I guess I have to take the whole thing apart? It doesn't look easy to disassemble.

Reply to
Silvan

They all have mixing vents near the burner and these are quite large. It is easy for a spider to get in there and set up shop,(pun intended).

Reply to
TBone

Just too many obscure technical terms. Criminy. Now I have a headache. Oy, j4

Reply to
jo4hn