Movie of my power adjust bench casters :-)

I've been putting wheels on everything. I was bored, messing around with some scraps and threw this together for fun.
http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mpg or http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mov
Warning if you're still on dialup... it's 12mb.
--

-MIKE-

Cool Mike!
I have been looking for a way to make a heavy work bench mobile and not. I am wondering if you could simply push down the lever with your foot to interlock with a spring loaded catch.

Yes, like this guy: http://woodgears.ca/mobile_base/jointer.html
But I has that screw clamp from a crappy miter saw to recycle and couldn't resist. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I was entertaining the feasibility of having casters screw down through the middle of each of 4 legs. That however would involve long chains to keep every thing synchronized or jacking each one down one by one like you have done. Thanks for the link.

the
For a workbench, can I assume you've seen Norm's solution to wheels on a bench? All he does is lift one end a few inches, kick out the wheel supports and they drop in place to make his bench mobile.
wrote in message

Yes I have seen Norm's however this bench may be several hundred pounds, I plan on having lots of storage drawers incorporated. I don't think lifting will be an option.

Like yours, actually, but without the screw. Just step down on the center, and shove a stick in there to lock them down. The couple of feet of leverage looks sufficient to raise a much higher load.

The mother of all evil is idle hands and a junk part box.

I looked to his for inspiration. His are very neat, clean, and perfect. I'm not inspired to make the stuff used to move my stuff, used to make nice stuff, nicer than the stuff I make. :-)
This is like version 8 of all the ones I've done. I made a wood version of a metal cam wheel I saw at Woodcraft. I'll post something.....
--

-MIKE-

http://www.mikedrums.com/castercam.mov or http://www.mikedrums.com/castercam.mpg
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

This is outstanding. One Christmas the wife gave me a Delta Mobile base (http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/articles/mobilebaseshowdown.htm ) and all I used was the cam wheel. I have my table saw and jointer (old heavy iron) on one bench and I attached 2 large heavy duty no swivel casters to one end and the Delta cam swivel wheel to the other. The bench always rests on the two non swivel wheels but since they only move in one direction, the bench is super stable when cutting. I've thought of making a duplicate out of metal of the cam swivel (My brother welds, not me) but never got around to it. I think I'll work on one like you made out of wood... Do you have any nice drawings (sketchup wold be great) or detailed pictures?
--
Jack

Yeah, that's all you really need is the one. I would love to make them out of metal.... excuse to buy a welder. And Jack, that Delta is one of the ones I copied.

I use Canvas for my plans, so I haven't gotten into sketchup. But all I did for this was look at the pictures on the web...
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/92051-04-500.jpg
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/145488.jpg
The rockler one, mostly, plus they have an exploded view in the manual available here... http://images.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000503AA.pdf
I'm sure I could've gotten it smaller, but it works. I'll take some closer pics of mine and post them.
--

-MIKE-

Took some pics...
http://www.mikedrums.com/cam_wheel/camwheel.html
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I like it!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Excellent! Thanks Mike, good job, both on the camwheel and the pictures.
--
Jack

Me likes. I like good ideas. (I have also been known to steal them....*running awaaaaay!!!!*)
Robatoy wrote:

We're all thieves. I stole the basis of this from that other link I posted. And if you trace it back far enough, that guy inevitably stole it from the ancient Egyptians. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I did the sort of the opposite on the base for my table saw. I welded two 3/4" nuts on the frame, and ran 3/4" threaded rod through them. I just crank them down until some weight is carried by the rods. Greg