Mounting an arbor our trellis - setting the posts?

I am building a few trellises and arbors from cedar and I will need to fasten them to the ground. Of course I could treat and bury the supporting members but I prefer to avoid this here where the soil is sandy and wood eating insects abound. I am seeking some metal stakes to pound into the ground and attach the arbors raised. I think these my be called "stirrups". I cannot find them on the web and assume that I may looking for the wrong thing. The support members are not 4x4 so the ones for decks will not work. My structures are the usual 2x2 and 1x4 members.

Does anyone know where I can find what I am looking for before I waste time fabricating my own?

Cheers Fritz

Reply to
Fritz

SFWIW

The wood columns used in a lot of Huntington Beach, Ca which directly fronts on the Pacific ocean and abounds in termites is as follows:

Pour a concrete column using a Sonotube form a couple of feet below ground and at least 12" above ground with anchor bolts in the concrete.

Attach standard galvanized mounting plate to concrete with anchor bolts and to wood post with galvanized thru bolts.

Even with the above, it's a constant battle against termites.

If any wood is in contact with the ground, sooner or later the termites will get it.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Fritz wrote in news:dcc1abe9-cf2d-42f9-a2ae- snipped-for-privacy@x5g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

I made a small trellis using copper piping. The uprights were just hammered into the soil. I found the free plans on the web somewhere. Works fine. Howevere, it is a small trellis, and yours may be much bigger. Let me know if you want me to post a picture of the finished product.

Reply to
Han

Fritz wrote in news:dcc1abe9-cf2d-42f9-a2ae- snipped-for-privacy@x5g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

My pictures are no good, but here is the link to the plans:

or:

Reply to
Han

Try Simpson Strong-Tie "E-Z Spike".

Nova

All the =93post spikes=94 that I=92ve seen are designed for 4x4=92s not

2x2=92s. (Google image results for =93post spike=94:
think that you would need to fabricate something for smaller posts. If you have a welder and access to some angle iron it should be straightforward. You might be able to make something suitable using a discarded metal bed frame or metal shelving uprights.
Reply to
guillemd

All the ?post spikes? that I?ve seen are designed for 4x4?s not

2x2?s. (Google image results for ?post spike?:
think that you would need to fabricate something for smaller posts. If you have a welder and access to some angle iron it should be straightforward. You might be able to make something suitable using a discarded metal bed frame or metal shelving uprights.

Or just put a spacer block in there to fill out the ?post spike?. You could be creative. Put in two small blocks and center the 2 X 4 post. Maybe use some redwood or a contrasting wood. I just don't see the need to get elaborite over a trellis. Besides, if you are successful, it will be soon covered with plant life anyway. Put some paving blocks down there. Or an old dead log. Or a .

This ain't a problem. It is a chance to be creative! Whatever you do is NOT a compromise. It is a design feature.

Reply to
Lee Michaels