mounting a ceiling air filter

Page 2 of 3

While I've been brainstorming what to do I thought about the possibility of having some sort of pulley arrangement for the panel saw. Maybe counterweights to pull the saw through a cut. Another option you might want to consider is using the panel 'saw' as a router platform. I think this might be fairly easy with Festool. IIRC the 'track' part works with their saw and router.
Are you planning to put this in your friend's garage, or in your apartment?
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 02:30:15 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Apartment, my living room to be exact. It would be nice if I had a spare room that I could dedicate to woodworking, but it's not to be. The biggest problem will be dust of course. I've got a balcony, so I might consider using that for the occasional plywood cut. Today actually, I'll be going down to order a Festool Domino and CT22 dust collector so, I'll see how satisfied I am with it collecting dust inside and then consider other possibilities.

And you'll be gl### reporting back later, right! Have fun.
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 00:46:49 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Not reporting back just yet. My ride was over an hour late picking me up because of all the damned G20 demonstrations which meant that I wouldn't have the time to do everything I needed to do including buying the Domino. Won't be until next Thursday before I get another chance. Today (yesterday actually) was a really bad day for me.

If you clamp the festool rail your procedure of "cutting half, going around to the other side and pulling the saw the rest of the way." will be perfectly safe (assuming a sufficent overhang of the rail) and will give you splinter free edges as well.
You will be unable to tell where you started and stopped
However the Mafell Portable Panel Saw System PSS 3100 SE would be perfect for you though your bank account would feel the pain.
the video is in Russian but it is not a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa4x0xv1izI&hd=1

http://www.mafelltoolstore.com/pss31se230vo.html
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 19:29:54 +0900, snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.net

I have to wonder about that. There's been times on the table saw with its 60 tooth carbide blade that I've been feeding a sheet of plywood, taken several seconds to reposition myself and then fed the rest of the sheet through.
Invariable, the plywood has shown some type of burn mark and almost as often has left some type of defect to the edge of the plywood. I'm sure it hasn't shifted during my repositioning, but I get similar problems anyway. The only way I've been able to avoid it was continual feeding all the way through. I guess the solution there would be an automatic feeder of some type.

Interesting tool. Considering what I'm about to spend on my Domino with accessories, the Mafell is not all that out of line.

Yabbut the Festool blade retracts when you stop so the blade doesn't spin against the wood and burn it when your stop the saw. The edge will be fine as long as you don't disturb the track while repositioning.
I think you may want to look into making a trestle leg adjustable table that would allow you to clamp the workpiece and track and put the whole shebang at a height and angle that works for the cut and workpiece size. Some DeStaco clamps sliding in T-track would probably be the ticket. That way when you're cutting with the piece at an angle to maximize your reach, the piece and offcut would stay put.

Yep, that's one interesting tool. I wonder how long it will be until they come up with an automatic track saw with a stored cutlist capability. Morris, CNC and wood...?

Damn, I am impressed. I like it. It is pricey though. You know it is expensive when it cost more than a Festool.
I would have to learn some russian and have a 230 volt plug to use the thing. But it is nice.
Have you seen this thing in action?
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 00:45:37 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

I was looking at some Laguna panel saws with push button operation. One of them cuts to 0.08 tolerances IIRC. THAT'S what I really need. However, I don't have the space to set one up and I certainly don't have the discretionary $10,000 funds to buy it.

GASP!
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 02:31:12 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" >> have the discretionary $10,000 funds to buy it.

To be honest, the $10,000 dollar ones are the lower end. The push button ones start coming in at about $25,000. Their "panel" saws are in fact table saws with computer operation. Certainly take up more floor space than anywhere I currently have access to.

I think the track saw will be just the ticket for you.
Now you get to sell your TS to the friend to help finance the Festool purchase. ;)
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 01:13:04 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

A little correction. I refer to it as "my table saw", but I did sell it to him several years ago for a paltry $100 and dinner in a decent restaurant. The benefit to me is that I get to go over there and use it frequently, in the summer anyway.
On 6/25/2010 2:01 AM, Upscale wrote:

Although there will always be the occasional awkward cut, I do think the TS55, along with a low, cutting/assembly table, would be a system that would make your plywood cutting chores a lot easier for you ... and possibly open up a whole new world of enjoyment.
I can verify that, in conjunction with a Festool dust extraction unit like the CT22E, there will also be a lot less sawdust to deal with.
Although there will always be some sawdust generated when using any circular saw, I would say that the combo effectively removes about 95% when used properly.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I'm planning on buying a OF 1400 (and maybe a TS55 later) this weekend and was wondering about dust collection. Can I use my existing dust collection stuff (i.e. are the ports "standard")? I *really* don't want to buy into festering dust stuff. It might be a deal killer.

AFAIK they are not standard, but there should be adapters that will work.
On the other side of the coin, Leon got us both adapters for the CT22E to work with the Kreg K3 pocket hole jig ... I just made a couple of face frames for a cabinet job and repaired a family heirloom table for someone in the last week or so and that's the first time I've ever used the Kreg jig with NO sawdust whatsoever, none, zip, nada!
That said, all bets are off as to the effectiveness of Festool 'tool dust collector ports' with other dust collectors or shop vacs, but they should work, after a fashion, with the right adapters.
There is a fairly decent "package" discount when buying a DE with a saw, and the DE works with all other Festool tools.
The beauty of the Festool components is that they are designed to work together. You plug the Festool into the DE and the dust collection starts and stops with the tool; plus their variable speed function works well with various tasks ... like with a sander, where you may have to cut back on the DE suck so that the sander doesn't get stuck to the workpiece ... not kidding.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Solid surface guys love that feature. It gives a consistent downward force which 'breaks' when the pad on the sander tilts and loses 'da suck'. Those guys use 'full-on' suck, so the variable suction of the Festool doesn't get used all that much so you'll see a lot of Fein vacuums in those types of shops. I have used and liked both. For maximum sander suck, the Fein Turbo III is hard to beat. Fein sells and adaptor which will convert the Euro-style connector to a normal one, or back.
On the topic of the Festool TS75, Dave Eisan gave a quote on a 'kit' yesterday. The Multi Function table DEEEluxe, 108" track, clamps and a TS75 for the price of a mediocre hybrid table saw. Nothing to talk about.
He also dug up an older Bosch barrel grip Jigsaw, brand new, which I drooled on and had to buy. Big ol' motor, cast shoe. The variable speed and toolless bit change were new to me (on a Bosch) even though the Milwaukee Topgrip had those features, and I liked that saw a lot too, but glad to have a Bosch barrel grip again. When a design works, don't change.

I didn't see that one coming. I figured you had the Festool jigsaw. I've had a couple or three Bosch jigsaws over the years, and I liked them, but I love the Festool. The cut is truer to square than the Bosch or DW jigsaws I've used, the dust collection is superior, and the splinter guards work great.
Resistance is futile.

I just wasn't going to drop that kind of coin for just casual hobby work. If I want to cut anything ultra accurate or scroll-type work, I still have my CNC. This jigsaw won't see much work other than a serious bathroom renovation which is due to start in a week or so. I bought 4 sheets of 36 x 48 x 1/4" Corian to use as shower stall and a sheet of 30 x 144 x 1/2 to make the window sill and a countertop, all matching in colour. Dunno what to do with the floor yet, and *I* never knew one could drop a grand on a crapper.... which I refused to do. I have enough projects (bar and built-in entertainment centre for the family room, wrap-around veranda for the front of the house, including sun-filtering pergolas (yay CNC) and a 2-1/2 car garage.)

Hmm, not promising. I could save a couple of hundred bucks and just buy a Bosch (if I can find one). Again, I don't want yet *another* dust collector in the way.

That would be nice.

I don't really need a saw right now (and would rather replace my SCMS, but the Festool sale is a good deal). I really need a plunge router (to go with the still-in-the-box Mortice Pal). I guess I could put off the decision about dust collection and the TS55 for a few weeks.

I do that with my SCMS now. I just haven't bothered with the other tools.