Motor wiring

I have a 1 hp motor that I want to deploy for my drum sander. I know squat about motor wiring. The motor draws about 13 amps at 110, so I bought 12 gauge. Opening the wiring access panel reveals one free white wire and one free yellow wire and a ground screw. Several other wires are joined together by wire nuts. The wiring plate informs me that the motor direction can be reversed by moving two wires to different posts. The posts are nowhere to be found in the wiring access panel.

There is another panel that houses the capacitator. So ... I want to make sure I am wiring this correctly, that the motor is set to 110 rather than 220. I have not removed the capacitator, but guess that is my next step.

Finally, I don't want to burn out the motor -- or fry myself in the process.

All instructions, suggestions will be appreciated.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Well that's tough.

You need to provide more info. How about taking pics of the panel and existing wiring for us.

Put the camera in macro mode. You don't need to open the capacitor housing.

Then we can help.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Buddy of mind knows about this stuff and had the motor up and running in no time. Now I'm down to sanding the drum true and should be in full operation soon.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Reply to
tiredofspam