motor starters

My Delta HD shaper has a bad motor starter. Grizzly is offering a new one for $69.00. My shaper is 230 v. sgl. phase. Motor is 3 HP. Anyone ever used one of these Grizzly starters? Are they junk or are adequate for my application. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
On 3/2/2010 5:58 PM, Joe Bleau wrote:

I use a 120v sp from Grizzly on my radial arm saw. I have had no problems with it.
Jim

I put one on my refurbished Unisaw - 3hp single phase...220volt. It works fine. After searching for a motor starter Grizzly was by far the cheapest. This was 1 year ago.
Don't expect it to be industrial quality, its a plastic box. Documentation was adequate. Its good for a hobby... MLC has a box for $21 for 20amps 220volt...you may want to check that out.
On 03/02/2010 09:09 PM, fallen.morgan (at) gmail.com wrote:

The "industrial" ones are generally plastic boxes too...
Chris
I couldn't figure out how to rewire my 3 phase Model 65 Powermatic (1960's vintage) table saw to run with my phase converter so I bought a Griz switch and the documentation was good and solved my issue. Did the same with a similar vintage Powermatic Shaper with same good result.
I did have someone suggest to not use such a cheapo unit and get an industrial grade version. I could see that it is all plastic but without abuse they have been working fine with never an issue. They have a tunable over heat setting and good documentation on how to set it up.