Motor Reversing

Page 4 of 8
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

But we don't know which way it changes. Brake pad material isn't all that high-friction you know.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Consider what a disk brake caliper has to overcome: dirt, water, oil, pigeons. It still does a pretty good job.

On the other hand, disc brakes are designed so they don't lock up, this includes the materials used as well plus the modern ABS electronics.
scott
OMG! Now we need to put an ABS system on our saw brake so it doesn't cause any arbor damge from stopping to quickly?
LOL

On 10/13/10 9:43 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I didn't think we were talking about an emergency stop. AFAIK, we're discussing a convenience stop which, in my opinion, would be satisfactorily done in a couple seconds, not milliseconds.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I thought we were discussing a stop on the same order as SawStop. I didn't read every post in the thread.
Bill
On 10/13/10 11:30 AM, Bill wrote:

Someone brought SawStop into the discussion, which took things on a tangent. We started out discussing the OP's link to a set of motor reversing instructions as a way to slow down the blade for convenience. Then I proposed the use of a bicycle brake... and things went from there.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

read about flying parts.
Bill
On 10/13/2010 12:00 PM, Bill wrote:

AHEM. I believe *I* was the one who proposed the use of the bicycle brake. That -MIKE- character is trying to steal my idea. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 10/13/10 12:06 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Welllll, looks like I own someone a beer. Yeppers, I said, "...aftermarket saw brake, under the table.... pads or rollers or whatever, that would squeeze the blade," and then you brought up the bike brake.
A good inventor is a better thief. :-)
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

And Nikolai Yvanovich Lobachevski is his _name_ . . .
Can we drink beer in court?
And Nikolai Yvanovich Lobachevski is his _name_ . . .

A thread getting knocked off the rails here in the Wreck.... imagine my surprise...LOL
snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Well, geez, for that a bicycle brake will work fine.
On 10/13/2010 02:32 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Another reality check for all the people taking this thread off into the wild blue yonder is the issue of getting the blade onto the arbor in the presence of calipers that grip either side of the blade. My interest (and Mike's as well, I think) in using a bicycle brake was simply a matter of "how can I retrofit my existing table saw with a simple convenience brake?" I think the wide-opening jaws of a bicycle brake (maybe along with some kind of front-side cable disconnect to allow the calipers to drop out of the way) would allow enough clearance to get the blade on the arbor without too much trouble. This heavy-duty automotive caliber Saw-Stop alternative that everybody else is talking about would also have to provide a similar mechanism, which would of course add to the complexity.
--
So will there ever be a day, throughout the rest of my life, that I
won't encounter in the written word a case of somebody not understanding

C-clamp.
Spoken like a true woodworker...LOL

Seriously that's how you compress the piston on the brakes on a Jeep-- put a c-clamp on it.

Now we know what the "J." stands for...."Jeep"
says...

On 10/14/10 6:39 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Heck, I think if it was mounted closer to the arbor than the edge, one pad on the arbor side of the blade would be sufficient for a convenience slow/stop.
--

-MIKE-