Motor of my radial arm saw won't start

I was stupidly cutting a warped piece of pine the other day and bound up the blade of my Craftsman radial arm saw. Must not have gotten the power off in time, because now it won't start. Didn't smell any smoke or burning electrical wirings, but now there isn't even a hum, shudder, anything when I try to turn it on. As I'm not well versed in electrical motors, I was wondering if anyone has any idea what's wrong. Switch? Motor windings? Start-up capacitor? Flux capacitor? Luckily I was almost finished with the construction phase of my current project, so I won't be needing to make cross cuts for a week or so. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jason

Reply to
jace

Hopefully there is a thermal reset switch/button on the motor ... look for one. They often get sticky with sawdust and grime and have to coaxed back into action by exercising them.

Good luck.

Reply to
Swingman

Forgot to mention to check your circuit brk'r first.

Reply to
Swingman

My friend, I can't say about your saw, but I can tell you that my old Craftsman RAS has a thermal reset button on the motor. When the motor starts to overheat because the blade and motor bound on something, stopping the motor from turning, or when the saw is so loaded down that it is working too hard, The motor heats up, then the thermal switch trips which shuts off the power to the motor and so saves the motor from permanent damage. By waiting for a period of time for the motor to cool off, you can then press the reset button and start all over again like nothing happened. My thermal reset button is red, and in on the side near the handle.

Let us know if that was the problem.

Zap

jace wrote:

Reply to
zap

Many motors have built in thermal cutouts. If this one does, resetting it is all that's needed. Should be on the motor housing somewhere. May be recessed.

Reply to
CW

replying to CW, William Pellenz Jr wrote: Thermal reset found at Arrowhead Electric Co. 12/2017 Kilixon thermal p/n CGJ65EB $34.50 + $7.50s/h.

Reply to
William Pellenz Jr

What does that cost in 2006 dollars?

Reply to