Most useless power tool you own?

IIRC from my EE power course, three-phase motors don't need a starting cap -- they are self starting because the field is always rotating.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

It wasn't easy. I mean, it has a cord and everything! The thing sat on the floor of my office for months before I finally marched it to the trash can.

The odd thing is that my life has gotten so much better since I chucked it. I have a better job, more tools in the shop, a good dog. I'm pretty sure my teeth are whiter now. Damn, I shoulda thrown that thing away years ago...

Reply to
Joe Wells

No, you are confused, all that good stuff started happening when you started playing your Country Western record albums backwards.

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:29:04 GMT, "Bob Schmall" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

OK. Bit of a troll of sorts. I did it not to get a bite, but I am surpirised by the lack of nibbles.

I have posted many times about TSs, when people say "I am a newbie what TS should I buy?".

In a few words, you have to be sure you need one, because cheap ones are not much good, and expensive are expensive and _relatively_ limited in use. They are better than a planer, or jointer, or thicknesser in versatility, probably, but still surprisingly limited. They certainly do not replace a love of woodwork and care for the job.

I have a drill press (floor), bandsaw (floor) and many hand tools. I was getting along fine as a hobby WWer.

Then I became convinced, by a combinaton of a need for retail therapy of the boy's toys sort and the general pressure on the wreck, that I needed a TS.

So I bought one. I should have checked further. I have hardly used it, and have put it aside for now. I think I believed it would do anything for me, straight, easy and all that. It will not. It needs a lot of tuning, add-ons, and practice to use a TS. And in spite of all those things, in the real world of wood, every job needs a new approach anyway.

How to cut bent wood? How to handle sheet goods? etc etc. I thought all those problems were what a TS was _for_. It is.....sort of.

A lot of this is a no-brainer, _if_ you stop to think, or go and get lessons on using a TS. But I, and I reckon many others, did not.

I would have been far better off spending the money, which was more than I had spent on any other ww tool I owned, on wood, or other tools, or even the furniture I was not making while I learnt how much more work I was going to have to do to make the TS really useful.

Reply to
Old Nick

You gotta understand that to me it is almost a sin to throw away a tool. I have some really crappy 1980's B&D kinda greenish tools (drill, jigsaw, pad sander, etc.) that I keep "in case", and I have far too many less than HF quality stuff laying about. But the second time I used the Wagner Power Painter I threw it in the trash as it wasn't worth cleaning.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

stuff snipped here and there

I'm one of the happy lemmings that bought a table saw. I like it, I use it, I won't be without it.

But, there are plenty of craftsman that don't have one and turn out work far superior to mine. There was good woodwork before electricity. Nick, you have the right idea of at least exposing people to other options.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

maybe it's a rotary hammer, ya tink? try swingin it round in circles. Dan

Reply to
d.kessell

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 03:33:12 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Hehe! You'd have to be pretty awful for that middle sentence to hold though!

Anyway. Thanks for the support. I do feel that they are not for everybody, and there is enormous pressure to get them.

I do not denigrate the saw. But it cost me so much. Some guys just say "Well sell it!". But I have never sold anything without cursing the buyer! :-<

Reply to
Old Nick

That would be the Quantum tool line, Dave. I still have their jigsaw. I've eyed the Bosch a few times, but for the rare times I need a JS, the Quantum's been sorta up to the task.

David

David Hall wrote:

Reply to
David

It's funny, different strokes and stuff. I've lived without a bandsaw for a long time, and am going to keep right on living without one for awhile yet. I have become convinced, by a combination of a need for retail therapy of the boy's toys sort, and the general pressure of the Wreck, that I need a BS. :)

I really can't quite think what I will do with it. A few things, maybe, but it looks like it needs a lot of tuning, practice and add-ons to use a BS. ;)

Bottom line point here is that a TS is just about the end all and be all of my shop. I replaced my little benchtop with an almost full-sized contractor's saw. It's SERIOUSLY too big for my limited space, and it consumes at least half my shop, if not 2/3 of it.

I use it for everything. Tenons, dadoes, rabbets, miters, crosscutting, ripping, tapering, beveling. It's worth the space I've given over to it, but I'm not quite convinced what I would actually do with a bandsaw. Novelty stuff, mostly. Things I can live without. I like straight lines anyway. The only really serious thing I can come up with to do with a BS is resawing, and my local lumber guy only stocks 4/4 anyway, so there's not a lot to gain there.

I could turn one board into two that are a little too thin to be useful for much, or I could turn it into one useful board and a piece of scrap. I might as well generate the scrap in the form of hand plane shavings and have a little fun in the process if I'm going to waste the wood anyway.

So it's on my someday list, and next in line machine-wise, but I feel like I can keep living without one pretty much indefinitely.

I guess the moral of the story is you learn to do with whatever you have, and it shapes how you approach everything.

Unless you have everything. If you do, shaddup about it. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Do you have a jig saw? If so, much of what you do on a bandsaw (cutting curves) can be done with a hand held rather than stationary tool. It is nice to have the ability of re-sawing though. And while not "needed" in a lot of cases, I find it to be very handy for the smaller cuts. Of course any power tool can be done without.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah, I do, and I use it about 1.5 times a year. I have a scrollsaw too, which I've used about... Well, once. I finally used it for something. I made a tube clamp for my wife's bile bag. Prettiest brass and walnut tube clamp any woman's bile bag ever had. :) I had the kids help me make it.

Anyway, I'm sure I'd figure out something to do with a bandsaw. It would be handy for cutting up turning stock, say, which I am currently doing with hand tools. I don't turn much though. Perhaps because I'm cutting up all my turning stock with hand tools. Kind of a chicken and egg thing, isn't it? :)

Reply to
Silvan

And THAT reminds me of some 'special' edition Simonize High Pressure sprayer/washer.. it's a blue thing..looks like a Hoover Vac. So many were retuned to Canadian Tire, that 90% of all the boxes were opened and taped shut... then a 'refurbished' sale had 20 of them..and nobody wanted them at half the price...... I guess it wasn't performing as advertised.

Sorta-kinda like the PC profile sander.

Reply to
Robatoy

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Some of us who have nearly everything still don't have the time or space to use most of it. So I've sold off a few of the less used pieces of gear. Haven't missed them so far.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Do you have free plans? I'm not asking for pictures, thank-you.

I find that I don't use the bandsaw a whole lot, and even less since I got a real jig saw. Unless you are going to be doing a lot of re-sawing, it's probably a "nice to have" vs. something you're really missing.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Well, what would you expect? That's what it was designed for...

I keep seeing these threads and wondering the purpose...I don't think I've ever bought a tool that was "useless"...some haven't been very good for the purpose and at one time I would buy some cheap stuff that didn't last, but I can't recall anything that wasn't at least of some value, even if only for the single task.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

No, no plans. I want to see if this is patentable before I elaborate. It probably isn't, but hey, maybe I could become a bajillionaire. :) Spend $4,000 to get a patent, and then earn $4 off my idea. That's how it usually works.

Which is why the main reason I keep saying "man, I'd like to have a bandsaw" is so I can do some resawing.

Reply to
Silvan