Most useless power tool you own?

Lee, I had to laugh when reading your post because I looked over that very sander at Sears one day. I think each pad had about twelve flecks of grit apiece; they should last all of maybe 2 minutes? Rubbing a well-calloused finger over the workpiece might be more effective.

David

Lee Gord> A few years ago a friend gifted me with a Sears Craftsman detail sander, a

Reply to
David

I think it was the "FESS UP" one??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Black and Decker "Mouse" Detail Sander.

Reply to
patrick conroy

gets my vote

Reply to
Bill

A craftsman sheet sander (1972 vintage purchased new). It made so much noise and sanded so poorly, I just put it away. I just ordered a PC speedboc to make up for that mistake.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses, tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20 years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Laser level

Reply to
TaskMule

A Roto Zip

Reply to
Bob At Home

Bob:

It's a Polish Power Hammer.

You ain't never gonna be able to use it, cause you're German.

Pawlowski prolly has the manual.

(watson - who already knows that the Poles invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't take over the world - so don't bother)

{don't tell me them Pollaks ain't smart - I married one - er...wait a minute}

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

I believe the rotozip is designed with one purpose in mind: Breaking the little bits it uses. I broke all 3 or 4 of the bits that came with mine the first time I tried to use it. I've used the thing to collect dust ever sense.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Many years ago the Sears mail order house was the only game in town for power tools.

First purchased was a Craftsman 3/8 power drill. Chuck broke on first use. Mail ordered and paid for (too young and didn't know any better then) another Craftsman chuck replacement and also broke on first use.

Craftsman RAS collecting dust in garage, used perhaps 10 times and motor bearing went out - replaced by chop and table saw.

Craftsman belt sander - belt wonders all over the place, what a POS.

Reply to
Kimchee
220v & 3 phase Joe

Bob Schmall wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Iz dat one a dem zen koan things?

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

I think that was a general thread. This one is limited to power tools.

Reply to
Bob

X-acto rotary tool. Came out when Dremel was just hitting the market. Has a 1/16" collet with runout of 1/8"...

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Benchtop tools. I had a bench band saw and a bench table saw. Both under powered and a poor match for my long term needs.

dga

Reply to
dgadams

All of my older plug-in electric drills. Ever since the rechargeable ones have become decent the old plug in ones are a pain and not worth the trouble....

Reply to
Rob Gray

|> What power tool do you regret buying/receiving? |>

|> David | |For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing |never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses, |tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20 |years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

Maybe. The heavy-duty ones were. To meet current code, you need to replace that old cord with a new four-wire one and a dedicated 30A circuit.

I was given something similar, but it was an electric screwdriver. Nice screwdriver... with a 120V cord coming out of the handle. Worked okay on short screws, but longer ones caused the cord to twist so much that you had to keep backing up toward the outlet as you drove the screw. The other problem was that the handle was PVC and if you turned it too fast, static charge built up on it and caused the sawdust on the shop floor to explode. I glued on a piece of aluminum foil and grounded it to a cold water pipe and that fixed that.

You can never be too careful around power tools.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Jeez! Everyone knows electric hammers are three-phase. You've probably blown the start capacitor tinkering with it.

rcook5

Has to be the PC 4X24 belt sander. Nice tool , good power, works good if you can handle it. Need arms like gorilla to work with it.

Reply to
O D