Most useless power tool you own?

Page 2 of 6

I trust you keep it grounded.
Hey Kyle, I'd like to play with one if you want to get rid of it cheap. Email me if you're interested.
Mike
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:01:44 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:24:38 -0500, Mike Patterson

If he doesn't, then you can email me, Mike. It needs some work, I'm told by a friend here that it's a fan inside that's squealing.
Dave
Mine tends to burn them (bits) rather than break them. :) A keyhole saw makes a lot mess when cutting sheetrock, although with the vacuum attachment, the RZ isn't quite the ungodly fine-dust generator it is by itself.
David
Kyle Boatright wrote:

Mine is the PC detail sander, and I predict it will be the winner (or looser).
Beyond any doubt. Worst tool ever made by a reputable company.

What, a newsreader that posts without including any context, you mean?

You did not see the text? Maybe you should get a new news reader.
Tue, Jan 11, 2005, 9:23pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (DaveHinz) asks: What, a newsreader that posts without including any context, you mean?
Nah, just means he's off his dried frog pills, and talking to himself again
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie
Well, the little rubber profiles work pretty well manually. I am not sure what that thing with the cord on it is good for. ;~)
Re PC detail sander utility: [context is helpful, not all postings to a thread appear in order on all servers]

I found it to be a great source of wrist stress, and the vibration was very good at making my hand go numb. As far as for woodworking, i'ts probably not useful for much.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
gets my vote

Is that the Profile sander? I bought one with all of the rubber sanding heads. Never used the tool, but used the sanding heads by hand. An expensive set. max

Tue, Jan 11, 2005, 8:52am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com (David) claims: Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane. About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making. What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?
Then make me a deal, and I'll take it off your hands, so you don't have the stress anymore. I could definitely use it.
I'd say depends. I thought about it, and I'd say maybe my detail sander. Yes, it works fine, but the projects I'm doing, and any planned on for some time, don't call for it's use. I do have some other tools I'm not using either, but as I do plan on using them in the not too distant future, I don't term them "useless".
I don't regret ANY power tool I've bought, and would never even think of regretting any I was given.
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie
Hi David:
Someone gave me a Ryobi detail sander about 5 years ago. I've used it once.
Regards, John.
A few years ago a friend gifted me with a Sears Craftsman detail sander, a dinky little motorized tool that resembles my old Norelco triple-head shaver except with three little sandpaper pads, each about the size of a quarter, instead of the "rotary blades" the razor was equipped with. What a POS. I think the shaver had more horsepower, and I know it was more useful. In addition to having less torque than your average electric pencil sharpener, this "tool" was rendered even more worthless because one or more of the cheesy plastic pads upon which the sanding disks were mounted constantly popped off during use.
Lee

Lee, I had to laugh when reading your post because I looked over that very sander at Sears one day. I think each pad had about twelve flecks of grit apiece; they should last all of maybe 2 minutes? Rubbing a well-calloused finger over the workpiece might be more effective.
David
Lee Gordon wrote:

OK, that pretty much has got to be the winner.

Black and Decker "Mouse" Detail Sander.

Mine gave up the ghost on it's first use. Damned if I could find the receipt. so I was stuck with it. I used the cable to replace the one that my electric planer ate.
Mekon