Most useless power tool you own?

Page 1 of 6
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane. About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.
What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?
David
I think a google search of a few weeks ago will reveal the answers to this same question.

I missed that one. Audience participation today will undoubtedly suffer.
David
Leon wrote:

I found a lot of chatter about Dremel; was that the thread you are referring to? Sidenote: you can't search Google Groups for any date in 2005 unless you search all dates. Google's aware of the problem and as of late last night are still working to fix it. (Or so they promised me)
David
Leon wrote:

IIRC the thread did include the Dremel and probably went back to before Christmas.

I think it was the "FESS UP" one??
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I think that was a general thread. This one is limited to power tools.
Naw, my power plane is great. Of course, I only paid $3 for it at a garage sale. If I paid $75, it would be close to the top of the list.
Good point. I think I've gotten about three dollars usage from that sucker. :) Don't remember what it cost, but it was not a bargain for me.
David
toller wrote:

I was just thinking about buying one of these to shave down some sticking doors. What's so bad about them?
Chuck

Are you anywhere near Milwaukee or Madison? I'll give you a hell of a deal.
I have one of the planers. I hear this all the time, and I use mine for all kinds of things. There was an article in FWW, PWW or one of the magazines a couple of issues ago that discussed flattening a large board. I was doing a large top to a dresser and was using hand planes. This article used the electric hand planer to take down high areas. I tried it and I admit, it worked very well. You can finesse it well (just like a belt sander) if you are careful. After the large areas are done, go back to the hand planes. Can't say that any of my tools are useless (except maybe the drill sharpener that I got at Homier). I haven't used my old right angle drill adapter more than once in 30 years (except about 3 wks ago) or my Fein or Sears detail sanders, but once in a while they have some uses, especially the Fein. When it does get used, nothing would do the job better. Dremmel tools are not used much, but they are the only solution at times. I don't use my wood lath much anymore since I have not built early american furniture in about 25 years, but I would not want to be without it.

Not that I'd want to prevent you from buying a tool (even a bad tool purchase is better than NO tool purchase)...
I just finished fixing 3 sticking doors using a cheap hand plane, no sweat.
Also did one with a random-orbital sander, just to see how bad it would be. Actually, I wish I'd used it for the other 3.
YMMV Mike
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:15:52 -0500, Mike Patterson

I'm not sure about that, Mike. Cheap/bad tools are their own punishment.
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
They are probably expected to do stuff they are not really meant for. They take off a lot of wood, and it's easy to get it wrong really fast. They are good for taking off lots of wood.
I have one and hardly use it. I used it for shaping the chines etc on a boat to take the skin, using a jig. That was one good use.
Oh. And never put your fingers underneath to clear the swarf while you are working....

David wrote:

plane.
studs
You guys ever watch "BIG" on the Discovery Channel? They built a BIG electric guitar, 9x the size and used a 12" power planer at one point.
I saw that episode. AAMOF, it's the ONLY episode of Big that I've seen. I had no idea that there was such a large hand held planer .
David
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Rotozip.
Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing to do.

And destroys the vapour barrier you've carefully sealed around electrical boxes
I believe the rotozip is designed with one purpose in mind: Breaking the little bits it uses. I broke all 3 or 4 of the bits that came with mine the first time I tried to use it. I've used the thing to collect dust ever sense.