Most economical use of space

Hi,

I have adopted the 7x2' area at the bottom of my garage as my "workshop".

I have a cabinet, with a slide open top which stores my tools. Below the slide open top is a cupboard with doors (1 shelf) and I have got goggles, dust masks and sandpaper etc. in there. To the left, is my workmate, folded up parrallel to the cabinet. Behind the cabinet is an old table (fold up) which I lay all my wood on.

I would like to know if this is the most economical use of space.

I will try to put a picture of the "workshop" on in the next week.

Cheers,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Berlyn

I always seem to run out of space too. I made up a worktop from an old kitchen counter that I store against the wall. Sometimes I will just plop in on my table saw or if I am still sawing I put it on some saw horses. You can always use some extra work space.

Reply to
Greg

Shouldn't you be using meters? :)

Having the wood in there is probably a liability. It's not something I try to keep in my shop space. But just go ahead and work in the space for awhile. Things that don't seem right will appear over time. Then try rearranging some things.

I think it would be pretty difficult to forecast the "most efficient" use of the space until you've been in it for a while.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Reply to
nospambob

Sam.. you will find that no matter how much space you have, it's never quite enough *g*

Efficient is defined by what works for you in the space that you have... and the only way that I've found to do this is rearrange things and then do a project.. You find out real fast, during a project, that where you put things will or won't work, but just looking at the shop and taking a few practice reaches and steps really doesn't tell you how the space "works" for you..

You're in a VERY small area... I'm guessing that you have more than 2' width, or that you're a very skinny guy..lol

As far as organizing, I've been through piles, boxes and shelves and am now in the process of building drawers for anything that will fit in them.. easy to find, less dust and don't take up a lot of space..

Reply to
mac davis

Tue, Nov 23, 2004, 8:52pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Sam=A0Berlyn) waves and says: Hi, I have adopted

Now you start hanging stuff on the walls, and from the ceiling.

JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Reply to
J T

Oh yes, most definitely. I have often joked that you can tell what model of car I keep in my garage by looking at the outline of the space that's left inside all the stuff that's mounted on the walls , and hanging from the ceiling.

But seriously, keeping a car in the garage has turned out to be a real boon for my shop work, because it keeps the floor space essentially empty. I move the car out, set up a couple of sawhorses and a piece of plywood (in addition to my permanent workbench in the back of the garage) and go to work. What are the chances that the space would be clear without a car to fill it up?

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg G

no kidding! You really, really notice this when you move your bench!

I finally talked the wife into letting me give a couple of old freezers to the vets, which freed up about 25 or 30 sq ft of floor space... doesn't sound like much, but it can be a lot in a 2 car garage.... I moved my bench back about 2 feet and about 2 1/2 feet "over". (from about the center of the garage and away from the wall it was closest to) the RAS and router table went with it, as they're all the same height and sort of work together..

Besides all the wall stuff being further away, I had (without thinking of it in advance, of course), moved out from under the loft part of the garage, where I've been since I established my 1/4 of the garage and the space war began...

3/4 of my stuff was stored or tucked on or between the rafters of the loft... I was pretty much working in a shop with a 6' 7" ceiling, so I build racks to slide my squares in, horizonal clamp racks, tons of finishing screws with things hanging just where I could get them, etc.. Now, I'm working in a shop that has a normal garage height ceiling in it, and am trying to figure out where the hell my tools are..
Reply to
mac davis