Most dangerous tool in shop

Page 4 of 6

1. Knives that use razor blade edges, such as x-acto and retractables.
2. Everything else.
As I get older, I gain more respect for the fact that injuries only take a slight lapse in vigilence.
My last significant injury came from a 13.2v cordless drill and a standard 1/8" drill bit. The bit was a little dull, I pressed a little too hard, and in a blink, it snapped and the resulting slip put the remainder of the bit all the way through my left index finger near the knuckle. Looked kinda stupid fumbling for the reverse on the drill so I could back the bit out of my finger.
Even battery powered tools can be dangerous.
Rich S.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:56:02 +0000, Rich Stern wrote:

I've only been doing this for a few months, and I've already had several accidents in the shop, and only my safety glasses saved me from serious injury and possibly a lost eye.
#1. A buddy was drilling and he hadn't put the bit into the chuck right and as soon as he applied any pressure, the bit snapped and hit me square in the face. Specifically, the eye. My safety glasses took the hit and when I went to pick the bit up off the floor it was so hot it burned my finger.
#2. Same buddy was doing a cut with a reciprocating saw on some scrap. There was a nail in it that he didn't know/forgot about and he didn't have the right kind of blade in the saw. It got to the nail and the saw blade snapped and flew across the room. Luckily it didn't hit anybody.
#3. I was doing some brief chiselling tasks the other day and figured I didn't need to clamp the piece down, I could just hold it with my hand for these few little cuts. Wrong. The chisel slipped and now I've got a chisel-width scar on my wrist.
#4. I was trying to drill a drywall screw and had the drill on reverse. I had some stubborn knotholes to get through and rather than do a pilot hole I decided to let the screw do the work. I leaned into the drill and turned it on and it slipped off the screw and landed on the back of my hand, which I was using to hold the screw up. So stupid. Didn't even break the skin, luckily.
I wear my safety glasses pretty much all the time unless I'm just laying something out. I'm a big dude and my body heat tends to fog them up, so I wear them during cuts, drilling, hammering, etc, and remove them to just line things up, clamp, etc. I also wear hearing protection during anything moderately loud. I've got some hearing loss already from a decade full of rock concerts and garage band practice, I don't need any more of it to go.
My grandfather and my father-in-law each lost two fingers on jointers.
Me, I've learned a neat trick --- although the blades on those jointers, table saws, planers, and band saws tend move quickly, they never actually go anywhere! Which means that if you don't put your fingers near them, they can't get you! Push sticks and feather boards are beautiful things. They have successfully kept all my digits intact.
But I have dropped a few tools and heavy pieces of lumber on my toes. I have a bunch of black toenails to prove it. (They eventually grow out, but I bang them again and get new black spots on my toenails.) So for me, the most dangerous thing in my shop is my sandals. I could have eliminated all of my shop injuries over the years ('cept for a few slivers) simply by wearing my boots.
Kelby wrote:

Me too. I have a tiny sliver of swarf embedded somewhere deep inside my left foot, and an ugly place on my right foot where I dropped not one, not two, but three box end wrenches off the workbench and right onto my foot.
I should definitely wear boots in the shop, but I have to wear boots professionally, and I tend to wear my comfortable shoes--sandals or mocasins--at home, logic be damned. Putting on my boots to go to the shop feels too much like work.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:36:59 -0400, Silvan

Lace up some steeltoed shoes for slip-on use and get the benefit of both safety and convenient comfort.
Or you could always tack 1" medium-density strips of foam to the top of your sandals, Sport.
- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:33:51 -0400, Silvan

Why not, for either reason?

Go for it. And since you keep replying to BAD, you deserve it. ;)
- Gently-used Firestone tires for sale at discount! ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
screwdriver, followed by hammer. So far I've got no injuries from power tools. Hope that streak runs forever.
dave
Sweet Sawdust wrote:

Amen!

Exactly, Phisherman, exactly. Ya beat me to it. All the other responses assume power tools are the category, except hammer users. But there's nail guns-
I've been nipped by my bandsaw only once that counted, and lightly grazed by my jointer. Not a TS victim yet and pray I never will be.
But chisels, whether little bitty carving or Sorby Heavy-Duty mortising, gum me regularly. A tiny burst of impatience, a drift of attention, and *yeowdammit" rings thru the room once more.
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com http:// snipped-for-privacy@breck.org
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:06:06 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"

I vote for the loose nut running things.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
So, how many fingers are you missing? He specified most dangerous tool based on accidents you have had, not someone else.

My chick when I wont come in for dinner.

Every time I've stabbed myself with a chisel or screwdriver, or skinned a knuckle loosening or tightening a bolt, it's been because I was too impatient to take the time to either do it right or make sure I was using the proper tool for the job.
djb
--
My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is:
Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can. -- Frank Zappa

from all other tools I own combined. Chisels are a distant second, with screwdrivers trailing close behind in third.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:17:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Just wondering...
If you agree with me...doesn't that make you an idiot! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent

Not when you happen to be right. Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.
My mind?
(Is this a trick question?)
-JBB

My personal choice for self-inflicted pain is my oxy-acetelyne torch. I'm constantly messing around and picking up a hot part, getting slag in my shirt pocket, just having all sorts of "fun". I wish I were a better welder, but practice can be a painful process at times. I'm really wanting a new stick welder so I can burn up a little steel with it for a change.
Jim

Isn't it the pits, especially when you have just done your fingernails in that new color....mjh
-- mike hide