Most dangerous tool in shop

Do you osculate with this sander while it's plugged in?

That would definitely make this one the most dangerous.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Sweet Sawdust

Yeah, with the 1 tpi blade. Yeeeeowch!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Silvan

  1. Knives that use razor blade edges, such as x-acto and retractables.
  2. Everything else.

As I get older, I gain more respect for the fact that injuries only take a slight lapse in vigilence.

My last significant injury came from a 13.2v cordless drill and a standard 1/8" drill bit. The bit was a little dull, I pressed a little too hard, and in a blink, it snapped and the resulting slip put the remainder of the bit all the way through my left index finger near the knuckle. Looked kinda stupid fumbling for the reverse on the drill so I could back the bit out of my finger.

Even battery powered tools can be dangerous.

Rich S.

Reply to
Rich Stern

I've only been doing this for a few months, and I've already had several accidents in the shop, and only my safety glasses saved me from serious injury and possibly a lost eye.

#1. A buddy was drilling and he hadn't put the bit into the chuck right and as soon as he applied any pressure, the bit snapped and hit me square in the face. Specifically, the eye. My safety glasses took the hit and when I went to pick the bit up off the floor it was so hot it burned my finger.

#2. Same buddy was doing a cut with a reciprocating saw on some scrap. There was a nail in it that he didn't know/forgot about and he didn't have the right kind of blade in the saw. It got to the nail and the saw blade snapped and flew across the room. Luckily it didn't hit anybody.

#3. I was doing some brief chiselling tasks the other day and figured I didn't need to clamp the piece down, I could just hold it with my hand for these few little cuts. Wrong. The chisel slipped and now I've got a chisel-width scar on my wrist.

#4. I was trying to drill a drywall screw and had the drill on reverse. I had some stubborn knotholes to get through and rather than do a pilot hole I decided to let the screw do the work. I leaned into the drill and turned it on and it slipped off the screw and landed on the back of my hand, which I was using to hold the screw up. So stupid. Didn't even break the skin, luckily.

I wear my safety glasses pretty much all the time unless I'm just laying something out. I'm a big dude and my body heat tends to fog them up, so I wear them during cuts, drilling, hammering, etc, and remove them to just line things up, clamp, etc. I also wear hearing protection during anything moderately loud. I've got some hearing loss already from a decade full of rock concerts and garage band practice, I don't need any more of it to go.

Reply to
Ben Siders

screwdriver, followed by hammer. So far I've got no injuries from power tools. Hope that streak runs forever.

dave

Sweet Sawdust wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Exactly, Phisherman, exactly. Ya beat me to it. All the other responses assume power tools are the category, except hammer users. But there's nail guns-

I've been nipped by my bandsaw only once that counted, and lightly grazed by my jointer. Not a TS victim yet and pray I never will be.

But chisels, whether little bitty carving or Sorby Heavy-Duty mortising, gum me regularly. A tiny burst of impatience, a drift of attention, and *yeowdammit" rings thru the room once more.

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com http:// snipped-for-privacy@breck.org

Reply to
brocpuffs

Well then I would say that the reason you are considering the stationary belt sander most dangerous is that it is the tool you are least careful with. Maybe you're *too* comfortable with it.

I don't think there's a definitive answer out there. Statistically speaking, I believe there are more accidents with table saws and circular saws. But I heard a saying once that the most dangerous tool in your shop is the one you're afraid of, and the second most dangerous tool in your shop is the one you respect the least. Don't think it doesn't apply to you.

david

Reply to
D K Woods

I'd put a lathe in the "safest tools" category too. There's something comforting about a tool that lets you hold the sharp tool stationary while the wood does the spinning for you.

david

Reply to
D K Woods

The statistics can be a bit misleading, since only the TS, planer, jointer and BS are likely to produce an ER visit from *any* accident. My most severe injury with a tool came from a drum-type Surform tool. I was shaping a table leg or something and it just ran right up my thumb. Those little cutters work just as well on flesh as they do on wood! That one is not a statistic though, because I just put 6-8 band-aids on it and went back to work.

"Most Dangerous" can be defined as the tool that is most likely to cause *any* injury, or as the tool most likely to cause the *most severe* injury. In the first category is the hammer, the second is represented by the TS.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I vote for the loose nut running things.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Clearly, he has the same limited space we all have. That's why gofing in the shop causes so much pain (boing, boing, boing, ouch).

Reply to
Hitch

question. Maybe the question should be phrased either "most frequently dangerous" or "most severly dangerous". I don't think you can really compare answers to either of these together. It's like comparing crash statistics between Volvo and Boeing. One has more, the other has more severe.

david

Reply to
D K Woods

Then you've never been hit in the head by a 10lb piece of oak travelling at 50mph.

Reply to
DJ Delorie