Most dangerous tool in shop

Page 2 of 6
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:06:06 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"

You would consider a sander more dangerous than potential amputation via power saw? Not to mention kick back.
Do you actually participate in the activity of woodworking?
Barry
Yes
in message wrote:

Do you actually read the questions asked?
in message

Potentially the most dangerous tool in the shop is either the table saw or more likely the shaper . Free handing a complex piece with a cutter inches away from your fingers, with three HP and goodness knows how much torque powering it is to say the least disconcerting if not bloody scary.
In particular when using a collar trying to get the piece on the collar sometimes is difficult enough where you rely on your own strength and fortitude to fight the Machine before the collar can be utilized to take the load.
Avoiding accidents on this type of machine involves careful planning beforehand and intense concentration when use .mjh -- mike hide

Agreed 100%. After reading the cautions in the owner's manual for my shaper, I concluded that anyone who reads that, and is not a bit scared of what the tool can do, is not sensible enough to use it.

He didn't ask which had the most potential - he asked which one has actually injured you.
Mine would be Chisel, Sander, 12" miter saw (pulled the wrong plug when I was changing the blade - it didn't hurt me but it cost me a new pair of BVD's)

I think the tool with the most potential is my tablesaw, but since you phrased the question that way, the tools that have caused me the most pain in my shop are clearly my golf clubs.
Frank
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:54:14 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

you golf in your shop? wow i wish i had your floor space
Clearly, he has the same limited space we all have. That's why gofing in the shop causes so much pain (boing, boing, boing, ouch).
Although I've had the typical scraped knuckles, finger tips, etc. from a belt sander, I believe the table saw has the most potential. There seems to be a lot of "variables" in it's use (set up, blade height, etc.) It's the only tool I've been fortunate enough to only have a close call with - cut the side of my finger off at the tip 4 years ago (and it still causes me problems although it was very minor.)
However, if someone isn't being careful, they can all become the "most dangerous." You did hear about the guy who cut himself with a bandsaw . . . didn't you?
Jim

Jim Mc Namara wrote:

Yeah, with the 1 tpi blade. Yeeeeowch!!!!!!!!!!

Razor knife
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Lawrence Wasserman wrote in rec.woodworking

The only accident I have had so far, knock wood, is a tiny little piece kicked back by the TS that hit me in the side and left small bruise and scrape. But then I AM a newbie and just need more time probably.

the guard to flat plane a section of a checkerboard made of 2x2 squares of walnut and maple. Now, one of these fingers is stiff, and I have cut it two more times -- table saw and router table -- because of the stiffness. I also have scars from the drill press [nothing serious, but a friend lost a finger when the bit caught in a steel bar he was drilling and became a propellor]. But then, I also have an old scar on my belly from a pet rabbit, so maybe I scar easily. harrym
    Greetings and Salutations...     Well, while I have no SERIOUS disasters to report (although I can report that it is a BAD idea to whip the cut end of a nylon rope by heating it to melting point, then, absent-mindedly starting to squeeze it with one's ungloved hand) it has been my observation that *I* (directly, and, indirectly any human) in the shop are often the most dangerous tools.     And I mean that in the best possible sense.     Regards     Dave Mundt

Thank you for admitting that; I thought I was the only person dumb enough to have done it.
I do own a table saw, radial arm saw, band saw, routers, drill presses, osculating sander, stationary belt sander, planner, jointer, lathe, chain saw, a whole bench of various power hand tools, a large wall of hand tools. and other power and hand tools. I spend at least 12 hours a day in the shop 5days a week and average 8 hours a day on weekends. I make my living in the shop and make all the small pieces of wood my self, have a collage degree in Industrial Arts and am accreted by my state as a folk artist. Any other comments on my credits?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:02:12 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"

Do you osculate with this sander while it's plugged in?
That would definitely make this one the most dangerous.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:13:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:
snip

OOOOOO NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO
that's just wrong!!!!