Mortising Machines

Page 1 of 2
Any opinions on benchtop mortising machine. I've got a used Central Machinery mortises and it takes longer to set up that to drill the mortises. thanks
Lots of posts on that subject, search.
I use a small Delta drill press and the mortising attachement. Works well, but lately I have been using a router table, its quicker.
dave

Wilson wrote:

IU bought a Delta machine. It works well with hardwoods, but I did have a bit of bit clogging on pine. Probably needs a little TLS to get it just right. Overall, I'm satisfied but I've only done 32 mortises so far. Better than drilling and hand chisels though.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

you don't like your daughter? What did she do to piss you off enough to make her use a machine you don't like???
Jack

Would you let your child LEARN to drive in a brand new car? Not me.
She can learn on a something that won't upset me when it gets broken.
That's also why I bought her a $39 HF benchtop drill press instead of letting her break her teeth on my floor model.

Yes, they drove my car when learning (with me in it). Of course when they used the car themselves they got the older one. I was a teenager once and know how cars are used.
Using poorly made tools teaches frustration. My kids and now my grandson use all of my tools and I taught them to use them properly.
Exception: I could not find some of my #$% sockets after my son used them. Ed

yeah. older cars tend to have bigger cushier back seats....

LOL, My Pinto didn't!

I let my boys (6 and 8) use most of my hand tools, including a couple LN saws and my tuned block and bench planes. One notable exception is that I bought them a Stanley tool box saw as my full size rip and cross cut saws were just too big. There are a few tools that they use but only for short durations though as they are too big... see ABPW for an example.
When they realize poor results from using crappy tools they give up. When they get results that look pretty much like mine they keep going. The one type of tool where they really see the difference are the block and bench planes... big curls is where it's at! They also notice it with hand saws--that little Stanley I bought them cuts pretty good, see ABPW for an example.
John

portaband - and my 1/2" drill - and my four wheeler - and my tractor - and my Ruger .22 - and my Walther .380 - Dang - Better check and see if anything is left. :-)

sorry, but shouldnt that be "cut her teeth"? breaking teeth on the floor model seems a little hard on the poor kid :-)
irax.
Iraxl Enb wrote:

Maybe break is right with the HF tools.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Shop Fox bench top beats the Delta bench top according to my friends -- I'm in the market to a mortizer, too. Everything I read says Shop Fox is best ... in the bench top class.
Never Enough Money wrote:

We read different magazines. Delta and Jet are rated tops in one. IIRC, it was WWJ. In an issure of Amercian Woodworker, SF, Woodtec, Delta, Jet were all considered "bets buy".
What do your friends say that makes the Shop Fox better? Never used one so I don't know the differences.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
"Never Enough Money" wrote in message

I scoped both out carefully a couple of years ago and, while the ShopFox "looked" better in fit and finish, I settled on the Delta 14-651, which had the best/beefiest head assembly (dovetail gib) of the benchtop models in that price range ... this is a critical engineering point with the benchtop's as they are good tools, but still borderline for doing the job. The only thing I would trade it for would be the PowerMatic floor model.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

They're great, and they have a capacity for MUCH larger lumber than the others. The head swivels to the side so you can cut end or panel mortises, too.
Now that I'm done with the chiro (I think) I'll be getting back into the shop and using it.
- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
snipped-for-privacy@loomis.com says...

is.Great morticer really versatile and powerfull Russell
"Russell" wrote in message

It is available, but expensive. While a very good machine, at +/- $650US, it is almost 3 times the price of the Delta 14-651. If I were looking to spend that kind of money on a mortiser, I would spend a bit more and go for a dedicated floor model.
Just my tuppence ...
One last note on the Delta ... there are two benchtop models last time I looked, the Delta 14-651 is the better one.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

in England or France now I believe and I just paid 850eur ex tax (tax 19% )I chose to have it without the stand as I mounted it on a custom stand. Russell