Mortising machine--what am I doing wrong??!

A careful test though, just to verify that the bit will drill and extract waste should be no problem.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If the drill bit can be filed, throw it away and get a good one.

Reply to
CW

We're not talking about a normal twist bit here. This is a mortising bit, and it's often part of a chisel and bit set. Replacements can run $20 - $40 each. And they can be sharpened with a small file, there is a file made specifically for this purpose. After fine filing a little work with slips stones and it's good as new, and perhaps sharper. Takes maybe 5 minutes. So 5 minutes of your time vs minimum of $20 for replacing comes to $240 an hour. Seems like a pretty good equivalent hourly rate to me.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Ever bought a chisel that was really sharp and honed to a perfect cutting edge? How about a hand plane's iron?

I'd hardly call a Two Cherries bench chisel crap. Nor would I call the iron in a Lee Nielsen plane crap. Both will work as purchased - sort of. But they will work a lot better with a few minutes of my time - and they will lose their edge in use. Sharpening is just part of maintenance of edged tools.

A crappy tool is one you can't make work well with a just a little "tuning" and the knowledge of what needs "tuning".

This goes with "expectations vs reality". Some try and buy knowledge and skills, or at least think they can - in no small part because of marketing departments. Those folks are often disappointed - and sometimes get hurt.

Oh - if you have any dull forstner bits you're going to throw away - send them to me. Assuming YOU didn't try drilling through something other than wood or haven't burned them too bad - I could probably use them. My e-mail address is good. Drop me a line and I'll e-mail the address to which to send them. (never know when an english teacher is out searching for dangling perpositions - word to the wise)

charlile b

Reply to
charlie b

There is a lot of difference between a chisel and a drill bit. Any drill bit designed for power driving should be HSS. If it is not, it is junk. HSS is harder than a file.

Reply to
CW