Mortising machine--what am I doing wrong??!

Page 2 of 2

CW wrote:

Ever bought a chisel that was really sharp and honed to a perfect cutting edge? How about a hand plane's iron?
I'd hardly call a Two Cherries bench chisel crap. Nor would I call the iron in a Lee Nielsen plane crap. Both will work as purchased - sort of. But they will work a lot better with a few minutes of my time - and they will lose their edge in use. Sharpening is just part of maintenance of edged tools.
A crappy tool is one you can't make work well with a just a little "tuning" and the knowledge of what needs "tuning".
This goes with "expectations vs reality". Some try and buy knowledge and skills, or at least think they can - in no small part because of marketing departments. Those folks are often disappointed - and sometimes get hurt.
Oh - if you have any dull forstner bits you're going to throw away - send them to me. Assuming YOU didn't try drilling through something other than wood or haven't burned them too bad - I could probably use them. My e-mail address is good. Drop me a line and I'll e-mail the address to which to send them. (never know when an english teacher is out searching for dangling perpositions - word to the wise)
charlile b
There is a lot of difference between a chisel and a drill bit. Any drill bit designed for power driving should be HSS. If it is not, it is junk. HSS is harder than a file.
So you set the bit right? On mine it says to set the chisle 1/16" from seated then set the drill to seat, then move the chisle up to seated. Mine is a Powermatic and I have to feed it pretty fast and hard in short increments, going slow just starts to burn.

Are you sure you have the correct drill bit for the chisel?
Ted

Bigpole wrote:

As others have said, the bit itself is the culprit. They (mine) came from the factory virtually useless. After sharpening the bit, smoothing the waste flutes and honing the chisel, it works very well. I do use a bit of bees wax as a lubricant as well. This keeps the chips from getting stuck between the waste flutes and chisel.
Dave