Mortising Jig Kit

Does anyone know if an add on mortising kit for a drill press will work with a bench to model drill press. I know it would work with a floor model but not sure about the bench top kind.

Reply to
mlorah

I don't think there are any for bench top kind unless you get a dedicated mortiser. There's just not enough travel on a bench top drill press for mortising IMO.

Reply to
strikerspam

The Delta kit will certainly fit the Delta 12 inch bench top model. The travel is less but enough for many uses. There are other minuses versus the dedicated mortiser such as less leverage and harder set up. John

Reply to
John Siegel

That and the part that clamps to the quill needs to be the same diameter as the quill. A kit comes with several quill adapters, but measure yours first and then what's in the kit.

If your bench top is as small as mine - no clearance to make a mortise.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

I have one that works fine in my older Chiwanese tabletop drill press. The drill press stroke is over 3" which is more than enough for most needs. All I had to do was find the proper diameters to fit my quill.

That said, there isn't a drill press add-on that I know of that can compete with a dedicated mortising machine.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I don't think floor vs bench top version is as important as the quill to case configuration. I bought one of the Delta kits several years ago for my 70's vintage Craftsman floor-type drill press. It just would not fit around the quill mechanism on that particular model. A friend bought one for his fairly hefty, off-shore bench-top model and it fits fine.

Be aware - the kits are a trade-off some folks are not happy with. The setup on my friends machine will cut mortises fairly well but the quill-drop handles are really too short to get the kind of leverage he needs. He ends up unscrewing a couple of knobs on the handles and slipping a piece of pipe over them for increased length. Even worse, it takes time to set up and remove the kit. If you have to drill a precision hole while the drill press is set up for mortising----well, you are kinda screwed.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

While we are on the subject, I just got a mortising jig kit with no instructions. I have most of it figured out. My question has to do with the drill bit head vs the square chisel. Should the bit stand proud of the chisel or should it stay beneath the tips of the chisel? Are there any instructions on the Web?

TIA

Jay Cups

snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote:

Reply to
JayCups

The bit extends beyound the chisel by 3/32 to 5/32. The bit leads the chisel.

Cheers,

Otoe

Reply to
Otoe