Mortising Jig Kit

Does anyone know if an add on mortising kit for a drill press will work with a bench to model drill press. I know it would work with a floor model but not sure about the bench top kind.
I don't think there are any for bench top kind unless you get a dedicated mortiser. There's just not enough travel on a bench top drill press for mortising IMO.
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:16:17 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net"

snipped-for-privacy@iinet.com wrote:

The travel is less but enough for many uses. There are other minuses versus the dedicated mortiser such as less leverage and harder set up. John
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:07:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@iinet.com wrote:

diameter as the quill. A kit comes with several quill adapters, but measure yours first and then what's in the kit.
If your bench top is as small as mine - no clearance to make a mortise.
Pete
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:07:19 -0800, strikerspam wrote:

I have one that works fine in my older Chiwanese tabletop drill press. The drill press stroke is over 3" which is more than enough for most needs. All I had to do was find the proper diameters to fit my quill.
That said, there isn't a drill press add-on that I know of that can compete with a dedicated mortising machine.
I don't think floor vs bench top version is as important as the quill to case configuration. I bought one of the Delta kits several years ago for my 70's vintage Craftsman floor-type drill press. It just would not fit around the quill mechanism on that particular model. A friend bought one for his fairly hefty, off-shore bench-top model and it fits fine.
Be aware - the kits are a trade-off some folks are not happy with. The setup on my friends machine will cut mortises fairly well but the quill-drop handles are really too short to get the kind of leverage he needs. He ends up unscrewing a couple of knobs on the handles and slipping a piece of pipe over them for increased length. Even worse, it takes time to set up and remove the kit. If you have to drill a precision hole while the drill press is set up for mortising----well, you are kinda screwed.
RonB
While we are on the subject, I just got a mortising jig kit with no instructions. I have most of it figured out. My question has to do with the drill bit head vs the square chisel. Should the bit stand proud of the chisel or should it stay beneath the tips of the chisel? Are there any instructions on the Web?
TIA
Jay Cups
snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:55:00 -0600, JayCups

The bit extends beyound the chisel by 3/32 to 5/32. The bit leads the chisel.
Cheers,
Otoe
Thanks Otoe