Mortising and tenoning doors and windows

Pretty expensive! I thought about buying one but you're with spitting range of the Domino, with the FMT.

Reply to
krw

My thoughts and not restricted to size like with the FMT.

Reply to
Leon

Specially considering how much of the tool's contruction is plastic. Festool is equally guilty.

I can see the size advantage to the Festool, but isn't the Domino strictly for slip/floating tenons?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yes

Reply to
Leon

The Leighs are on my list of options to consider--pricing for the aluminum one is in the same ballpark as the Dominos or a good hollow- chisel mortiser, the steel one is about half as much. I can't find much on using one for making sash though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Are you talking about the Leigh FMT? If so where is the plastic? The Pro is machined frome extruded aluminum, the Super is stamped steel.

While that's how it's normally used, there's no reason I can think of why it can't be used to make mortises that accept tenons cut by other means. The only difficulty I can see is alignment and the rounded ends, but those issues apply to any router-cut mortise that doesn't have a matching tenoner (one of the attractions of the Leigh is that cuts matching mortises and tenons).

Reply to
J. Clarke

I could be wrong. All those black adjustment knobs/levers and tenon guides are either plastic or metal with a black finish. The "guides" definitely look like plastic, to me. Am I wrong?

nb

Reply to
notbob

I see what you're talking about now. Some of the black pieces on the Pro seem to be anodized aluminum. I'm not sure what the guides are made out of but they look pretty robust.

Reply to
J. Clarke

IIRC clamps, and bushings are plastic. Although I hardly see the disadvantage to using plastic. I have not had a tool failure due to plastic.

Reply to
Leon

Are you serious about the "plastic bushings"?

If so, thank you! I will NEVER buy anything with a bushings made of plastic. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Absolutely

Take a look here at the add on accessory kit for the FMT.

Leon

Note that the only thing those bushings do is control the movement of a pin.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, I looked at the Dominos today. The little one is right out--I don't see where it offers any advantages over the XL and there wouldn't be enough mortise depth past the cope to provide much benefit. The XL can go 2.75 inches deep which is a big improvement. Be dandy for windows but a little short for full sized frame-and-panel doors.

Come to think the Leigh will have a similar limitation--it can't cut any deeper than the longest router bit I can get.

OK, I think that's going to be the deciding factor--the Domino and the Leigh would be working at the limit of what they can do, the Powermatic will be right in the middle of its capability range on doors--the windows should be a breeze for it.

Unless there's a compelling argument otherwise that I've missed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

For that job, the little one doesn't have any advantages but that's why they have both models. The big one doesn't do Dominoes smaller than 10mm, IIRC. That's kinda big for most woodworking.

Reply to
krw

Actually many custom builders are using the larger Domino for large wooden doors.

Click on the video

Good observations but mortisers are S L O W compared to a Domino.

FWIW and having used both a Domino is as fast to use per joint as a biscuit cutter. A mortiser is maybe twice as fast as doing by hand by an experienced wood worker.

A mortiser does half of the joint, you still have to cut tenons and every fit is probably going to have to be tweaked. The Domino does both sides of the joint perfectly almost instantly.

I bought my Domino with the expectation to use it like my biscuit joiner. The tool is so versatile that I have used it 10 more than I ever did with the biscuit cutter.

Reply to
Leon

On 9/16/2016 8:27 AM, Leon wrote: The tool is so versatile that I have used it 10 more than I

That should read, 10 "times" more than the biscuit cutter.

Reply to
Leon

Consider using end mills for cutting mortises with a router. I don't use anything else on my Multi-Router.

Since most large door frame stiles are rarely over 6" in width, I doubt that will ever be a practical limitation, as the traditional rules for tenon length is five times its thickness, or 1/3rd the width of the stile.

Reply to
Swingman

This could be a better post. You should have mentioned it is a Festool Domino assuring the commission payment and the mere mention would bring joy to Neon Whatshisname.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sorry, LOL

Reply to
Leon

There's an adapter to use the cutters from the 500 in the 700.

Reply to
J. Clarke