Mortiser gloat

A local cabinet shop bought the equipment from another shop that closed, kept what they wanted and had a auction today for what was left. I wish I would have had more space & money. Anyway I bought a Shop Fox mortiser (with the switch missing) and a new set of 4 chisels for $100.00. Brought it home and rigged up a temp. switch and it works. It came with a 3/4 chisel in it and the sleeve that was in it wouldn't fit the Shop Fox Chisels.Figure the switch and sleeve shouldn't cost much. Not sure how this compares in quality to a Delta or Jet but think I did ok. Shure would have liked to have gotten the Jet 14" bandsaw that went for $210. or the Jet Shaper that went for $235.
Mike S. snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
I purchased a Shop Fox Mortiser (new) about six months ago. I have been happy with the results, although I have found that I usually need a riser block under the work piece to be able to stay above the hold down post (even the short one) for narrow work. I have done projects with through mortises and blind mortises. I doubt that this is unique to Shop Fox, but the though mortises suffered minor tear out on the bottom of the hole. In the future, if at all possible, I will stay with the blind mortises.

Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

happy
under
same with my Multico. In addition, I have to use additional clamps to keep the piece being mortised from rising as I withdraw the chisel.
to be able to stay above the hold down post (even the short one)

mortises.
minor
again, same with my Multico. I found incising(with a sharp marking knife) the bottom side in the outline of the mortise will prevent much of the tearout.
Larry

Me, I have been able to just cut the mortise 60% through and then flip the workpiece over and cut the remainder from the other side. No tear out! :-)
I use the Shop Fox too, but didn't get it for $100! You suck ...
--
Charles Jones -- Loveland, Colorado
ICQ: 29610755