Mortiser finally

Well today I bought me one of them there dedicated mortisers. Having cut the bastards by hand, with a router, a drill press and several other methods over the years I have to say ..............that was really stupid. Man do yourselves a favor if you dont have one, get one. Damn why does it take me so long to see things sometimes!!
Jim
-- ....
which one did you get, James?
dave
James D Kountz wrote:

"James D Kountz" wrote in message

the
Yeahbuddy... a dedicated mortiser is a helluva bang for the buck in saved time. I just walked in from cutting mortises and tenons for a hall table and did in one afternoon what used to take two days with no screwups.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

do
me
and
For a dedicated mortiser such as a home woodworker might have, is it recommended to slush out most of the mortise with a drill press before cleaning up with the mortiser? Or is that dependent on wood type?

do
me
and
"Upscale" wrote in message

Normally, I would say no. If you keep your chisels sharp and properly set up the bit and chisel to work together, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with domestic hardwoods. Most of my experience is with the various oaks, particularly white oak, and cherry, so take that into account.
Lee Valley has cone shaped sharpening stones that can be used to touch up chisels on a drill press (with a drill press vice) ... IME, sharp chisels take care of 98% of use without having to resort to another tool.
That said, I find regular chisels are still necessary to clean-up and do a little fine tuning, particularly to the bottoms ... just by hand, no mallet.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

mallet.
Second question that occurred to me. Could a dedicated mortiser do double duty as a basic drill press without the chisels? Understandably, the travel would be limited, but I'm thinking that for someone wanting both, but have neither, the mortiser could be a preferred starting point.

up
Chuck hidden, single speed. Nope, wouldn't do it.
Drill press of good quality will make better mortises than a mortiser of good quality will bore holes.

travel
Ditto George. It will definitely drill holes, but its use would be severely limited, particularly with the low speed.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

travel
[snip]
My HF mortiser came with an auxiliary chuck that can allow it to act like a drill press. It is single speed and the travel is limited. However, I have a small shop and, if the mortiser is already out, I would rather use that than putting it away and pulling out the DP.
Montyhp