mortise and tenon dimension guidelines

I understand that the mortise and tenon should not generally be thicker than 1/3 the width of the piece. Does this also apply to the top and bottom shoulders of the tenon?
In other words, if the the stretcher or stile is 1.5" thick, the tenon should not be an thicker than .5". What is the limitaton on height of the tenon? Any?
Chris - I recommend you do a Google search (DAGS), use "mortise and tenon" or "mortise" or "tenon". You'll get a ton of good information.
Two sites I found helpful recently are: http://www.geoffswoodowrk.co.uk/mortise01.htm and http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/articles/mortiseandtenon.cfm .
Nick B

than

If I'm reading you right, it seems that as long as the mortice isn't visible, you could go_almost_ the full width of the tenoned stock.This would maximize the holding power of the joint/glue. That, and depth Unless you _wanted_ to see the mortice around the shoulders, then make no shoulder cuts at all. But remember, wood has some seasonal movement across the grain, so a very wide(tall) tenon should probably be pinned with that proviso in mind(ovalized holes in the tenon), and sparingly glued nearest the center. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....