mortis attachment

I recently bought a mortising attachment and a drill press. The installation of the attachment is very straight-forward. Everything seems to fit well. The problem that I've encountered is that when I start it up and begin to "drill" my mortise, the spindle & chuck fall out. The spindle has a morse taper on it. The only thing that I can figure is that the wood pulls on the chisel and/or the auger bit and jerks the spindle out. After it happened the first time, I took it all apart and "re-installed" the spindle by placing a piece of wood under the chuck and forcing it to "lock". Right after I started drilling again, it did it again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reply to
jasonmahoney

make sure there is NO oil residue on the mating parts and of course that it is spotless clean. then give it a good couple of whacks. same thing happened to my Delta. a bit more force and a clean taper took care of it.

if you have lacquer thinner, you could clean with that, being careful of course to keep it off painted parts. :)

dave

jas> I recently bought a mortising attachment and a drill press. The

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Heat up your chuck in an oven before 'whacking' it back on. ( About 250' F. ) Re oil after it cools.

Reply to
Chipper Wood

good point. maybe a few squirts from an obsolete can of R12 for good measure on the taper. :) I've still got over a dozen cans of that stuff! Last time I looked Ebay sellers were getting around $13 a can.

dave

Chipper Wood wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

The refrigeration police will be visiting you soon along with a Hazmat team...................

Reply to
Chipper Wood

I recall buying R12 a thousand cases at a time for 38 cents a pound.

Reply to
Leon

I used to buy it 100 cases at a time for 99c per can in the

80's. Sometimes the local Kragens would have it cheaper but do you think they wanted to sell their loss leader to a shop, in bulk?? NOT! :) I'd be lucky if they'd give up 10 cases at their sale price.

and a can wasn't a lb. it was just 14 oz by then.

dave

Le> I recall buying R12 a thousand cases at a time for 38 cents a pound. > > >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I miss that freezing feeling in late model cars. A/C duct temps are no longer in the just-above-freezing zone any more... 134a just isn't the same as good ole R12.

dave

Chipper Wood wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

...any body know if the hole in the ozone layer has started to close yet after the ban on R12? The last thing I saw on the subject was a few months ago and there seemed to be no change. In fact there seemed to be the feeling that it opens and closes due to some force that nobody understands...

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

I saw a swirling blue miasma over San Jose today. Was that the hole in the ozone layer, Tom? I'll open an couple of cans of my R12 and see if it grows.

In fact there seemed to be the

I've got a cabinet door that does that, but I think it's because the cabinet is overstuffed.

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Proponents of banning chlorofluorocarbons took their measurements at maximum "wobble", which showed a larger hole.

The patent on the popular propellant ran out in 1997. The patent was worth a fortune and there was only one suitable alternative propellant. The patent for the alternative was held by the same company.

Guess who is rumoured to have indirectly funded the green push to ban the (patent expiring) propellant - the same company.

Reply to
Greg Millen

The real story on the R-12 deal is that Dupont's patent on R-12 ran out and everybody was making it. Too much competition if you will. They invented the later version and lobbied for R-12 to be banned. As for an answer to you ozone hole question, IIRC Switzerland had been monitoring the ozone hole as far back as the 20's and found it to be just as big as it is or was when R-12 was banned. It does apparently open and close as mother nature finds necessary.

Reply to
Leon

Y'know Leon, the timing our posts on the same subject is spooky..

Reply to
Greg Millen

BAD...leave the R12 where it is...we have enough global warming here in Nooo Yawk (was almost sweating on the train platform this morning with the

33'F...a heat wave compared to the last 6 months).

As for the cabinet door, that is an easy fix. Get the brad nailer. But remember this...this is no more important safety rule than to wear safety glasses.

The posts that follow are twilight zone...if true about the demise of R12, then scary...read on (if you have enough light from your $5 shop lights that is...LOL)

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Hey, I might not have sprung $33 for the deLUXE version but I dropped $20 the 4 footers. Besides, there's 11 lights in my shop, plus some task lighting for good measure! :)

33 degrees? we break out the mittens and long johns if it gets that cold here! :) Today was around 70, which is pretty typical for us this time of year.

dave

Tom Kohlman wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

"jasonmahoney" wrote

: I recently bought a mortising attachment and a drill press. The : installation of the attachment is very straight-forward. Everything : seems to fit well. The problem that I've encountered is that when I : start it up and begin to "drill" my mortise, the spindle & chuck fall : out.

I have had this problem.

I traced it to a misalignment in the setup that meant that there was a sideways thrust on the chuck.

My drill, adequate for most purposes, is an imported Twaiwanese (I think) where the machining is of indifferent quality. The quality of the fit between the arbor and quill is less than it could be, so the chuck falls out.

Drilling machines are not designed to take any sideways thrusts, though on the better machines people get away with using sanding bobbins and certain milling cutters.

Proper milling machines are fitted with a drawbar that screws into the end of the arbor and passes through the length of the quill.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

Jeff...you're right in that the misalignment is the "final straw" but the problem goes back to an earlier post. The chucks on the far-east machines have a tendency to fall off even when drilling. Clean them up good (acetone or denatured alcohol and a little fine grain wet/dry on the spindle for good measure) and then re-seat. I have two Delta's and it only took one or two attempts on each before the problem went away forever. Whether designed for it or not (if not then Delta and Jet should quit selling them!), the drill press can handle some side-play.

All that said, I gave my drill-press attachment away several years ago and got the relatively inexpensive dedicated machine(couple hundred $US but it came with 4 bit/chisels that are fine for my rather modest expectations...at the time Delta was almost giving the attachment away but making their money on the bits...kinda like Gillette with Mach whatever they are up to now). I found that the set-up on the attachment was a PITA and it was not very accurate due to more flex in the DP vs the dovetailed way on the mortiser. Plus every time I got the DP set-up with the attachment, it seemed I needed it for what it was made for.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Stay tuned for the sequel. The R-22 patent will expire shortly.

I never cease to be amazed at how easy it is for well funded companies to place the proverbial ring through the nose of Congress.

RB

Le>>...any body know if the hole in the ozone layer has started to close yet

Reply to
RB

As they say, we have the best government money can buy.

Reply to
Swingman