Mortality

Page 1 of 3

I had this growth on my back.
It wasn't anything that worried me much but it was there, and it used to bleed sometimes, when it would get bumped up against.
I didn't think much of it but my wife told me that I should have it looked at.
So, I made an appointment to go to my Primary Care Physician, who seems to be a wheelhouse that leads you on to people who charge even more money than he does.
He sent me to a Dermatologist.
I went to the Dermatologist.
He told me that I have Pre-Cancerous Lesions - and he zapped those suckers with liquid nitrogen - thus making little ugly spots on my face, composed of necrotic tissue - he didn't care much for the mass on my back - he just whacked it off.
I asked that man, "Do I have Cancer?"
He said, "Nah, but you have the beginnings of it and you need to come in here and have them zapped - or you will have Cancer."
Shit, I had an Uncle who died from a migrating skin cancer - I knew that this was serious.
I told that Dude that I'd go to him every week, if that was what was needed.
"Once a year will be fine, Mr. Watson.", is what the expensive man said.
So, I started thinking to myself - if'n I was going to die (which is always true), and, if'n I might die sooner, rather than later (which is also always true), what projects would I want to do first.
I'd like to do a re-imagining of the Goddard-Townsend Secretary - as a sort of mausoleum - but maybe I am going to far with this current thought...
I do hate visiting Doctors of any sort - I was going to make a shelf for the kitchen.

Try alt.cancer.support
This is rec.woodworking.
"stoutman" wrote in message

What was downloaded to this box was very much _on_ topic.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

"Ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
If'n you don't know by now
Ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
It don't matter anyhow
When the rooster crows at the break of dawn
Look out your window and I'll be gone
You're the reason I'll be traveling on
But, don't think twice, it's alright"
Thank you Mr. Dylan, that was wonderful.
I will be sure to post to rec.woodworking and fill you in the next time I have an ailment.
stoutman wrote:

Showing my (lack of) age again... I thought that was Mike Ness.
-John in NH
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

LOL ... in any event, damn glad to hear that you indeed made a timely trip, Tom.
If I was a turner, I'd make an urn, if I thought cremation was the way to go ... but I ain't too sure about that either. ITMT, we both should probably have another glass and give it further thought ... here's to your continuing good health!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Swing, have you heard this young mandolin player on a CD called, Nickel Creek?
Damn, there's another guy that I'll never be as good as, but, he's better than Ricky Skaggs, and I already wasn't as good as him.
Sigh...
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

You bet ... and if you like Chris Thile, you'll love one of his mandolin heroes, Dave Peters. Dave died a few years ago from a drug/alcohol reaction, but I had the pleasure to both record and play with him. I guarantee that his seminal recording "Art in America", is in Chris Thile's CD player. I'll see if I can find a copy around here and wing it your way.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05
"Tom Watson" wrote :

There is a tape of a concert making the rounds of PBS.
Rickey Scaggs, Earl Scruggs and Doc Watson spend an evening pickin and grinnin.
True Americana.
It's older than dirt, but still good.
Lew
Swingman wrote:

I figure cremation, because my other choice--roll me in the ditch and toss an apple core on my belly button--is probably not legal.
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Thanks ... at $13/bottle, there's at least $3 worth of pinot noir that's gotta be cleaned off the damn monitor now.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

It would be - if you still lived in West Virginia.

For a story that describes a non-traditional and somewhat humorous burial I recommend the book "Backcountry Pilot." The book describes the flying exploits of 'Ike' Russell, as told by family and those who flew with him. I was lucky enough to have known him, and his son is an old friend of mine.
In one of those "it's a small world" things, although I didn't know them at the time (I was five years old) both Ike and my dad learned to fly from the same instructor.
Believe the Irish have a tradition of pouring scotch over the grave and one asked "Do yee mind if I process it first?". Sounded reasonable to me.

nospambob wrote:

Yabbut, first you gotta do Scotch, which was never my tipple, even in my sorriest drinking days. Tasted like cough medicine without the syrup, to me.
Now, the old Kaintuck corn...
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:14:28 -0800, Charlie Self wrote:

I grew up in Kentucky and never did get to liking the taste of bourbon. Most of the time I drank rum. I did finally develop a taste for scotch after discovering some of the very peaty single malts - but I can't afford them anymore :-).
Of course my total consumption nowadays is about a fifth of rum a year.
Charlie Self wrote:

No self respecting Irishman would even consider allowing scotch to touch his lips.
Now OTOH, Jameisons Irish whiskey is quite another matter.
As a former scotch drinker, can understand how a sour mash drinker would have a little trouble with it.
It definitely is one of the worlds best acquired tastes.
I keep a jug of Rebel Yell around for those who appreciate good sippin whiskey.
Straight up, no ice, no chaser.
For those of you not familiar with Rebel Yell, it is 100 proof, Kentucky sippin liquor, made in Louisville, KY and sold only South of the Mason-Dixon.
It is definitely another of the worlds acquired tastes.
BTW, the story is an old Pat & Mike Joke.
Pat is on his death bed and his old friend Mike comes to see him.
Mike says, "Is there anything I can do for you old friend?"
Pat responds, "Not in this world, but after I'm gone, there is a bottle of Irish in me closet. Would you mind sprinklin it on me grave?"
Mike asks, "Mind if I run it thru me kidneys first?"
Lew

Half of Ireland will refuse to drink half of Ireland's whiskeys, as the potatoes were trodden with the wrong foot. One of those halves has no problem drinking Scotch instead.
BTW - Tullamore Dew while I'm writing this. It's Offaly good.
Andy Dingley wrote:

I much prefer the product from the monks on the Isle of Skye.
Makes even the lowest scotch taste like the nectar of the gods when properly mixed snd served over ice.
Lew