More Website Info...

If a few of you that offered advise on my website would do me the favor of checking back on it again and dropping me a line with your comments I'd be forever in your debt. Specifically, check out the "Shop" page and click on the link to take you to my image gallery. I got rid of the drop down menu and created a gallery instead. It's still a popup window but it's only ONE window and you can view all the overview photos from there. It was a real pain in the but to make so I hope you like it. Please, please, please like it!!!!

Thanks all,

Reply to
Jeff P.

Nope......ain't gonna make it Jeff. To pristine and besides, "Real men don't have neat shops..."

You need to spread some sawdust around, leave a few tools out, a pile of cutoff's in the corner - make it looked like it's been lived in. I've been in ER's that aren't that tidy.....!

Oh yeah....... nice job on the web design - looks real good.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

So far so good... this is kind of a running commentary.

The popup window is fine. On a cable connect your site loads quickly and cleanly, and nothing is getting blocked by privoxy (that's a Good Thing).

Pens... I hate animated "under contruction" gifs. Grrr.

Oops... Grammar Police time. "These are my mother and father" is not correct.

"These photos are of my mother and father", "These beautiful people are my mother and father", "Here are my mother and father", or such would read correctly.

Your love for them comes through loud and clear.

I reallly like your links page. Well done.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"BobS" wrote

LOL, actually, I'm doing a little 360 degree quicktime VR type thingy and I'm absolutely NOT going to clean it first.

Reply to
Jeff P.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote

Good thing. I tested it on my auxilary Roadrunner dialup line and I was pretty impressed with how fast it loaded. I got some good advise on a new technique to help optimize photos and I ended up able to make the pictures a lot larger yet kept the same file size.

Not a problem. I was never sure if it was correctly worded or not. My kids are only in 1st grade and Kindergarten so I haven't had to re-learn all that grammar stuff yet! I really, REALLY appreciate the help in that regard.

hehehehehehe. I hate em too. I even tried making a really gaudy one of my own to really peeve everyone. A year ago I put up a really awful web page for a friend's birthday. Man was it terrible. My aim was just to piss him off. I think it worked. Here's a link to it.

. And whatever you do, DON'T offer feedback on THAT site. Make sure your speakers are on. I found the most annoying MIDI happy B-day I could. Don't forget to play with the sliders on the left to change the background color. Remember, in IE (at least in Win-doze) you just hit the escape key to stop GIF's from animating.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Jeez... that got my dog howling. I've never seen her react that way before. Although, I have to say, I certainly understood it.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Very nice site, only pointer I have is to make the logo top left link back to the home page and if you don't want to be plagued by spam I'd reconsider putting a direct mailto link as the contact. I used a little bit of javascript to fool the spam bots on my contact us page (this changes the url of the first link on the page) so the spam bots see snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov (gubmints spam black hole) but regular users see the real email address.

window.onload = getEmail; function getEmail() { var beginning = 'accounting'; var at = '@'; var end = 'textads.biz';

document.links[1].href='mailto:' + beginning + at + end; }

Accounts

Of course if folks don't have javascript enabled they are out of luck but it got so bad that drastic times call for drastic measures.

Reply to
damian penney

Thanks Damien.

Good idea regarding lining the logo. I'm surprised that I've not been getting a bunch of spam from the website address. My host does have a spam filter running, however, so that may help. Even though, I may still do what you say.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Jeff - I like it a lot. So much nicer for the viewer.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yeahbut, he's been too busy working on the web site to make a mess in the shop.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

please like

Now we're talking. Couple other things: If I click on your machines in the overhead view, each one pops up a DIFFERENT window. To rectify that (if you want), you need to pass it a window name. You have the code already in place, just fill in the empty string, i.e.:

instead of

onClick="MM_openBrWindow 'bandsaw.html','','scrollbars=yes,width=625,height=400')">

Do this:

onClick="MM_openBrWindow('bandsaw.html','jeffpopup','scrollbars=yes,width=625,height=400')">

Now we just need to teach you some color correction in Photoshop and you can have my job!

Reply to
Larry Bud

Jeff, see the following on some really quick color correction. This is using the "Levels" command in Photoshop

Larry Bud

Thanks for the reply Larry but on all 3 of the monitors in my house the after picture looks way overexposed.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Actually, that's pretty much the truth. I feel the need to make another box..or a pen.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Yeah.....here-we-go......more excuses..... Fewer excuses.....more sawdust.....

;-)

Reply to
BobS

Hrm. In Konqueror, the sliders affect the associated background color if I click anywhere except the slider itself. If I try to drag the slider up an down, I get a "trying to drag something (eg. a file) somewhere else" cursor with a big circle/slash on it to indicate that this something can't be dragged. I tried it with Mozilla, and the sliders don't do anything at all. Neither one of them played any MIDI either.

Must be broken Microsoft-only Internet Exploder extensions or something.

Anyway, I didn't dig into every cranny, but I looked at the shop tour thing, and it's dandy as far as I can tell. I agree with the others that your shop is obviously ENTIRELY too clean. It looks like you must work out there in a Tyvek suit. Make some mess already. Sheesh. Can we say obsessive/compulsive boys and girls? :)

Wait. I found some dust. You better get out your cleaning supplies and tidy that up immediately, so you don't hurt yourself. There's dust on the base of your equisite Crapsman DP. Lookee there, see? Dust. (Do you hate your T-slot table as much as I do?)

Um, "The dual dust ports make routing routing an almost dust / chip free event." If you say so say so. :)

Not sure what everybody is whining about on color correction. I didn't see anything that jumped out at me. Then again, I'm not nearly as anal as people who do this crap for a living either.

it.  Please, please, please like

No, it sucks. Worst pile of crap I've ever seen. Send all those big ass machines to me for proper disposal and I will show you how to take pictures of a real shop in return.

Reply to
Silvan

"Silvan" wrote

Yeah, I guess it is. Back then I hadn't tested it in anything but IE. I know better now. Just now I tested it in Opera and Netscape and it doesn't work in either.

WHERE? Damn it all, I'll be right back.... OK, false alarm. It's still clean.

Darn, darn, I I didn't didn't notice notice that that. There, it's fixed.

BIG SIGH...I guess I'll go have another beer, or two, or three, but who's counting?

Reply to
Jeff P.

General settings should be 50% brightness, 100% contrast. ARe they PCs or Macs?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Jeff, go here and see if your monitor is adjusted properly.

Larry Bud