More than 500$ for "decent" TS? Really? was: Re: which Table saw for $500 or less?

Page 1 of 2

More then 500$ for a "decent" table saw? Really? We're talking about a project here and there, no production-type work, where a little extra set-up time for each cut isn't that big a deal. Right? I thought the extra 200$ or so for an "entry level" conractor saw at the 500$ mark was for an upgraded fence system and bells/whistles to make the work easier/faster.
I'm also looking and have set 500$ for my budget. I need the saw to be fairly easy in setting up, and fairly accurate. The saws in the 89$ (yes, they make them that cheap) to 350& range seem a little too small, wobbly and insubstantial. 500$ seems about right, and I can always upgrade the fence if it becomes needed.
I'm not arguing, really. Your opinion is your own. I just want to make sure I know what I'm missing out on in not spending the extra 200$ or looking for a used saw for 500$.
Thanks for all the input.

[...]

But upgrading the sliding table (an essential feature, IMHO) is unpractical at best.
What sliding table? Very few saws have them.
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

The meaning of my comment was: "A sliding table is a extremely useful part of a table saw, and you can't really attach one later, so get a saw with a sliding table in the first place".
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:43:15 +0200, Juergen Hannappel wrote:

??? Griz, DeWalt, and certainly others have add-on sliding tables available.
Besides, very few would consider one essential. The OP is looking for a saw for "a project here and there". It hardly sounds to me like the sort of use that would justify a sliding table.
--
-Joe Wells

Not at his price point. Triple it and they are available.
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:43:15 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

Or spend $20 and 1 hour building a simple sled.
Barry

I went through this a few years ago. I wanted a good sturdy saw, reasonably accurate, something I could buy once and never worry about replacing it. I ended up buying a Delta contractors saw. Sure I looked at the lower end Deltas thinking I could upgrade as time went by, but if you look at the price of replacing the fence it is cheaper to buy it with the saw at the start. I spent allot of time examining saws in the $500 range. I ending up buying a model similar to this one, http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e 6&pI22 .When I bought it the saw retailed something like $790, but I bought it on sale for $650. Now it runs in the $800 neighborhood on sale. I figure I did good as I know I could sell it for what I have into it. Others have bought Grizzly saws and been happy, I was reluctant to buy a tool which for me was a bit unknown, plus were they going to be around in 10 years if I needed a part. (All though I wonder about Delta some too!) My feelings are to save some more cash and spring for more saw and cry once! The pain of spending extra money goes away quickly when enjoying a good working tool! Greg

Hey, just look at what's available. Its hard to find any kind of contractor or jobsite table saw less than $550 (don't forget to include shipping cost). Its not a question of comparing models. Its hard to find ANYTHING for $500 without going into the low end slimey junk category. Even the lowest end Grizzley contractor saw is $550 with shipping. One possibility is the hitachi contractor saw you see at some Home depot stores. I've heard lots of questions about it but seen nothing posted from anyone who has bought one and says it works well.
Why don't you research what you can find for $500 and post the models here and ask for opinions on those models? I don't see anything.
Bob
(Amazon.com product link shortened)25859454/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8414838-2660752?v=glance&s=hi&nP7846 (link may not work)
The one I'm thinking of getting is the Delta 36-675. It is 499$ at Amazon (of all places) with only 9.99$ shipping. It says it's a 650$ saw, but you know how that goes....

Hmmm, might be a respectable buy. I don't know the models, but I'm sure others know them well and can respond to you.
Bob
You should definitely check out the Ryobi BT3100. It is very accurate and easy to use, and it comes with a sliding miter table and a Freud blade standard.
A lot of people like to poo-poo this saw because it is made by Ryobi and it has an aluminum top. The people who gripe about the saw, however, are the ones who have never used one. I've had mine for a year now and have put it through some pretty tough projects with no complaints. It is probably not a saw you want to throw in the back of the truck and haul around, but with reasonable care it is really pretty durable.
Plus, the BT3100 is the only table saw I'm aware of that has an entire web site dedicated to it. Check out www.BT3Central.com
Dollar for dollar I don't think there is any saw that compares to the BT3100. I shopped around quite a bit and came to the conclusion that I'd have to spend $700 to get a saw equivalent to the Ryobi, which retails for $300.
Here's a link to the saw on the Ryobi site: http://tinyurl.com/byzfd

I think, in the context and requirements of the OP, your recommendation has merit. That particular saw has a lot of happy users. I think its a matter of users having the right adjusted expectations that match this saw and then the experience becomes pleasant surprise. I don't know that I go along with saying its the equal of $700 saws. That's a stretch. But your suggestion might just satisfy the guy who needs something useful on a budget.
Bob

I agree. Allot of people like the BT3100, a friend has one and likes it. That said I have used his and I would not trade my Delta CS for the BT even if you tossed in $800 to sweeten the deal! Greg

Definitely a contender, but budget $400 for it: it's also not a bad idea to spend the extra $100 for the accessory kit, which has the miter slot add-on table, some zero-clearance throat plates, and the rest of the hardware required to make the router table operational. (FYI, accessory kit is SKU 592438 at Home Depot.)
Lee
Don't recall OP stating his location, but if it's anywhere near Chicago, this may help: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t#697
Lee
Lee DeRaud wrote:

Wow! Sears top of the line hybrid, LN, $425 with a Shop Fox mobile base included.
Wish he'd been selling this earlier this summer when I bought my Jet JCS-10. Nice deal for somebody.
Darn. Missed another one.

And yes, I'm in the far NW suburbs of Chicago.
Thanks for the tip.

Matter or opinion.

No, they still have crappy fences at that price.

The fence. Most important part of ease and accuracy. Get a good one. Compare them, try one. Your money, your choice, but at your price level you get a Chevy, for $200 more you get the UnifenceBeisemeyerCadillac.