More than 500$ for "decent" TS? Really? was: Re: which Table saw for $500 or less?

More then 500$ for a "decent" table saw? Really? We're talking about a project here and there, no production-type work, where a little extra set-up time for each cut isn't that big a deal. Right? I thought the extra 200$ or so for an "entry level" conractor saw at the 500$ mark was for an upgraded fence system and bells/whistles to make the work easier/faster.

I'm also looking and have set 500$ for my budget. I need the saw to be fairly easy in setting up, and fairly accurate. The saws in the 89$ (yes, they make them that cheap) to 350& range seem a little too small, wobbly and insubstantial. 500$ seems about right, and I can always upgrade the fence if it becomes needed.

I'm not arguing, really. Your opinion is your own. I just want to make sure I know what I'm missing out on in not spending the extra 200$ or looking for a used saw for 500$.

Thanks for all the input.

> >>Hello, >> >>I am a beginner woodworker, and I use for the moment a $100 RYOBY table >>saw, >>it has the following issues: >>- the table is too small (12" on both side of the fence) for any serious >>work >>- the fence is small and not 90° (although it locks good) >>- I can not get a 0 clearance insert for it >>- miter is worthless >>- it's noisy and vibrates a lot... >> >>I was thinking of upgrading, and I have a budget of around $500, what are >>your recommendations? >> >>regards, cyrille >> > > Save up your $--you'll need a bit more to get a decent table saw > unless you can find a used one.
Reply to
Hedley
[...]

But upgrading the sliding table (an essential feature, IMHO) is unpractical at best.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

The meaning of my comment was: "A sliding table is a extremely useful part of a table saw, and you can't really attach one later, so get a saw with a sliding table in the first place".

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

??? Griz, DeWalt, and certainly others have add-on sliding tables available.

Besides, very few would consider one essential. The OP is looking for a saw for "a project here and there". It hardly sounds to me like the sort of use that would justify a sliding table.

Reply to
Joe Wells

I went through this a few years ago. I wanted a good sturdy saw, reasonably accurate, something I could buy once and never worry about replacing it. I ended up buying a Delta contractors saw. Sure I looked at the lower end Deltas thinking I could upgrade as time went by, but if you look at the price of replacing the fence it is cheaper to buy it with the saw at the start. I spent allot of time examining saws in the $500 range. I ending up buying a model similar to this one,

.When I bought it the saw retailed something like $790, but I bought it on sale for $650. Now it runs in the $800 neighborhood on sale. I figure I did good as I know I could sell it for what I have into it. Others have bought Grizzly saws and been happy, I was reluctant to buy a tool which for me was a bit unknown, plus were they going to be around in 10 years if I needed a part. (All though I wonder about Delta some too!) My feelings are to save some more cash and spring for more saw and cry once! The pain of spending extra money goes away quickly when enjoying a good working tool! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Hey, just look at what's available. Its hard to find any kind of contractor or jobsite table saw less than $550 (don't forget to include shipping cost). Its not a question of comparing models. Its hard to find ANYTHING for $500 without going into the low end slimey junk category. Even the lowest end Grizzley contractor saw is $550 with shipping. One possibility is the hitachi contractor saw you see at some Home depot stores. I've heard lots of questions about it but seen nothing posted from anyone who has bought one and says it works well.

Why don't you research what you can find for $500 and post the models here and ask for opinions on those models? I don't see anything.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

You should definitely check out the Ryobi BT3100. It is very accurate and easy to use, and it comes with a sliding miter table and a Freud blade standard.

A lot of people like to poo-poo this saw because it is made by Ryobi and it has an aluminum top. The people who gripe about the saw, however, are the ones who have never used one. I've had mine for a year now and have put it through some pretty tough projects with no complaints. It is probably not a saw you want to throw in the back of the truck and haul around, but with reasonable care it is really pretty durable.

Plus, the BT3100 is the only table saw I'm aware of that has an entire web site dedicated to it. Check out

Dollar for dollar I don't think there is any saw that compares to the BT3100. I shopped around quite a bit and came to the conclusion that I'd have to spend $700 to get a saw equivalent to the Ryobi, which retails for $300.

Reply to
Chuck

I think, in the context and requirements of the OP, your recommendation has merit. That particular saw has a lot of happy users. I think its a matter of users having the right adjusted expectations that match this saw and then the experience becomes pleasant surprise. I don't know that I go along with saying its the equal of $700 saws. That's a stretch. But your suggestion might just satisfy the guy who needs something useful on a budget.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Matter or opinion.

No, they still have crappy fences at that price.

The fence. Most important part of ease and accuracy. Get a good one. Compare them, try one. Your money, your choice, but at your price level you get a Chevy, for $200 more you get the UnifenceBeisemeyerCadillac.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

One thing you can always count on when you ask for tool advice here is that whatever your declared budget, at least half the responders will recommend something in excess of it. I suppose this post is no exception. I have one of the relatively new Craftsman hybrid saws (part cabinet saw, part contractors saw). It's the lowest-end model of the 3 available and retails for $550. From time to time Sears has a major sale in the tool department, so if your timing is right you may be able to get this saw at your price. The other thing you can count on around here is a fair number of posters telling you in no uncertain terms that anything with a Craftsman label is crap. This may, in fact, be true for a number of the tools they have sold in the past decade, but it definitely does not apply to their new line of hybrid saws (manufactured in China by a relatively new company formed by some former Delta personnel). The only bad things I can recall reading about this particular saw have been posted by people who hadn't actually used one but were basing their opinions on previous "Crapsman" experience. Like you, I use my workshop for only the occasional project, not daily production and the Sears saw is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

(link may not work)

The one I'm thinking of getting is the Delta 36-675. It is 499$ at Amazon (of all places) with only 9.99$ shipping. It says it's a 650$ saw, but you know how that goes....

Reply to
Hedley

I got the Ridgid TS3650 for $569 earlier this year, it's listed at $597 now on the website. You may be able to catch a 10% sale if you are lucky. You need to plan on getting a medium quality blade as well no matter what saw you get, the included blade is always marginal for finish work but fine for rough work. The Ridgid includes a built in mobile base, which depending on how much room you have may be important, this would add about $50 on another saw. The fence is not as good as the aftermarket ones, but you won't need to upgrade it. It is however a total PITA to assemble and set up the first time. Not hard, but time consuming. Plan on 6-8 hours.

I have no experience with the Ryobi BT3100, my own experience with other Ryobi tools would probably steer me away from getting something like a table saw from them though. Enough people are happy with them though that if you can't swing the Ridgid it's your next best bet. While not having a mobile base, it'd be light enough to move around without one.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Thanks, Lee. My dad had a craftsman table saw (still has the same one) back when I was a wee tot back in the early 70's. This saw went through 4 different home remodels as the primary wood cutter and the only thing that ever went wrong with it was the switch. I almost want to buy it from him, but the logistics would be too hard.

I guess you could say I would get a craftsman for sentimental reasons in addition to finding one for 30% off.

Right now, I'm leaving it up to the gods. If the 679$ Craftsman up the street is still on the shelf when the going-out-of-business-sale reaches the

30% off mark, it's mine. If someone else gets it, then I will get the Delta 36-675 from Amazon for 499$ plus 9.99$ shipping.

Reply to
Hedley

I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess I am already cheating on the

500$ budget constraint with my shopping. I'm not counting blades (three or four plus a dado set), the mobile base (need one) or any jigs I might buy instead of make. If I had to include all that in the 500$, I'd be starting out with a 99$ Skil or something.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Hedley

Definitely a contender, but budget $400 for it: it's also not a bad idea to spend the extra $100 for the accessory kit, which has the miter slot add-on table, some zero-clearance throat plates, and the rest of the hardware required to make the router table operational. (FYI, accessory kit is SKU 592438 at Home Depot.)

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

You will be happy with it. I believe it is basically the same saw that I have but with a fancier fence and miter gauge.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

This is often done with good reasoning behind it. The OP want to upgrade. If he buys a $500 saw, he will be looking at the $750 ones in a few months and covet the fence. If he had no saw at all, he may be very happy for a few years with the $500 model. If you want to step up, make it a reasonable large and long term happiness one. We've all done the former and that is why we suggest waiting to get the "right" tool for long term use.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Otherwise known on the wReck as the "Cry once principle". A point of view to which I subscribe.

Reply to
Joe Wells